Print

Author Topic: Transitional Fossil  (Read 42406 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »
Yes, and indeed, it has proven foolish. (Actually, most of what people consider to be "acceptable behavior" isn't acceptable just because the Bible says it is.)
P.S. People knew the Earth was round before people wrote the Bible.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »
You just don't get it, do you?  This is not me telling you I know what God wants.  This is me telling you what the Bible says, which is most definitely what God wants.

The people who wrote the Bible are telling me they know what God wants. Same situation. They could be as far away from the truth as possible for all I know. They could've made the whole thing up and nobody would know.

This is why I say forget about it. It's not worth it.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
PL and Turtlekid, Christianity has already experienced more than its share of schisms over the past two millennia. Below is a hopefully-familiar summary of what all genuine Christians subscribe to. Please note the absence of any mention of how and when Creation occurred, whether or not the Bible was divinely inspired, or if the book of Revelation is a literal or figurative work. I believe that if a matter isn't listed below, it isn't something that your faith hangs in the balance over:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended into hell.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.
Amen.

This is why I say forget about it. It's not worth it.

O RLY?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 09:28:42 PM »
I once had a modified version of Pascal's Wager for my sig...

Some people can say without a shadow of a doubt that God does not exist...but they could be wrong. They could be dead wrong. Still, Pascal's Wager is a horrible reason to believe in God. It's like...believing in Santa Claus because you want presents. Also, once you've made the gamble, you've got to pick the right god.

There's also this.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:52:33 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 09:52:57 PM »
Why certainly. Pascal's Wager could never be a justifiable reason for living one's faith, but it helps the cause. As for Dawkins' Wager, it's even less reasonable once it's picked apart: You're refusing to live by God to "fully enjoy" your finite life, only to either spend eternity in hell or simply cease to exist, which is decidedly a rather hellish sentiment in itself.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 06:59:16 AM »
Yes, and indeed, it has proven foolish. (Actually, most of what people consider to be "acceptable behavior" isn't acceptable just because the Bible says it is.)
P.S. People knew the Earth was round before people wrote the Bible.

1. How has it been proven foolish?
2. Where, praytell, did our ethics originate then?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 07:35:10 AM »
I was slaughtering people and animals, then made love to their still-warm corpses until a nun told me it was a no-no.

Man, whudda thunk?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2009, 07:46:09 AM »
So, when you refer to a moral compass other than the Bible, you refer to an internal one?  I hate to say it, folks, but the internal one is just as God-given as the Bible.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2009, 08:47:51 AM »
Ha ha buts its not the bible i didn't eat a bible

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 10:38:05 AM »
I just want to say that Boo Dudley won the thread with his first post on Page 2.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2009, 11:43:04 AM »
2. Where, praytell, did our ethics originate then?
It seems to me that ethics/morals emerged out of social necessity.  It's even been observed to emerge in robots.  Kinda freaky, but take a few courses in sociology and psychology and you'll probably reach the same conclusion.  Ethics and morals change as society changes because they are a product of the society. 

Some rules may be written in a very old text, but how we interpret/follow them has changed over time.  We (bar a few countries) no longer stone to death an adulterer.  Did God change his mind from the old to new testaments?  We can't legally or morally enslave someone from another country, but that was allowed in the old testament and it even went as far as telling the slave to accept his/her slavery.

Edit:  After making this post I stumbled upon:  http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/05/has-evolution-h.html 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:46:31 AM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »
It seems to me that ethics/morals emerged out of social necessity.  It's even been observed to emerge in robots.  Kinda freaky, but take a few courses in sociology and psychology and you'll probably reach the same conclusion.  Ethics and morals change as society changes because they are a product of the society. 

My goodness but that is arrogant to an unhealthy degree.

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »
...Which of course brings us right back to the issue of subjectivity. While morals and ethics certainly can be melded by society, whether they should change with the times is a whole nother beast of a question. Pardon me for quoting myself:

"...Not to sound entirely pessimistic towards the state of humanity's affairs, but it's become apparent that every issue to become tolerated by society (i.e. same-sex marriage, abortion), opens the door for another, more extreme issue to rear its ugly head before mankind. For instance, just wait until these guys get their way.

Anyways, this picture seems relatively topical. Note that the second-last "scenario" in the below diagram is indeed a lame hentai joke, but, otherwise... yeah. It speaks for itself:
"

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:08:50 PM by Weegee »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 08:33:19 PM »
Yes, they should, because the way humans think is directly related to how much they understand.
That was a joke.

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »
I get really annoyed at people who:

-Think that Christianity consists of mindless drones and can't have any logic.

The way you interpret the Bible makes it seem like a book for mindless drones.

Print