Print

Author Topic: Where do you stand on SMW Hacking?  (Read 4672 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« on: September 22, 2009, 05:38:31 PM »
Out of all Mario games, SMW is the most popular for Rom hacking, so what do you think of it?

Personally, I feel it is one of the best thing in video gaming right now, SMW was a great game and with Lunar Magic, the game is now virtually endless. And thanks to the Wii with Homebrew, we can play these hacks, right on our big screen HD TV's! Isn't that something?
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
SMW hacking and Lunar Magic I support, but the Wii homebrew channel leaves a lot to be desired. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
I dallied around a bit with Lunar Magic, but never really used it for anything. I do support the idea of seeing other people play through hard rom hacks, though.

My main aversion to working with hacks is I'm always preoccupied by the idea that limited ROM space will limit the size of levels and what I can do with it. I know it's possible to expand a ROM, but then I don't know how to work with that untapped space. Maybe I'm still very new to rom hacking. Anyway, I say this because I'm unable to create a Metroid NES hack for Super Metroid with SMILE.
You didn't say wot wot.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »
SMW hacking and Lunar Magic I support, but the Wii homebrew channel leaves a lot to be desired. 

Oh it has its problems (as does all of the Homebrew in general) but I still commend it for granting me the power to play English Mother 3 on my Tv.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
My main aversion to working with hacks is I'm always preoccupied by the idea that limited ROM space will limit the size of levels and what I can do with it.
If it's any consolation, in SMW, you can use a maxiumum of 96 levels on the overworld and 512 areas in total, each of which can be up to 32 screens in length (varies depending on if it's a vertical level and/or uses Layer 2, though) and has no limit on the amount of objects and enemies that can be put in. Within reason, of course. There's usually a cap at about 84 sprites in a single area, but using that many in the first place will probably cram so many sprites onto the screen that the game experiences slowdown, and you'll never have to worry about putting too many objects in a level unless you like fill every single block with a tile. If you use up too much space in the ROM, Lunar Magic will automatically expand it, so you don't need to worry about expanding it manually.

One of the hacks I created, Super Mario Infinity 2, is widely regarded as the longest SMW hack in existence, and I didn't even have to use all of the areas (though I came somewhat close!).

Anyway, as I just implied, I've created two full-length SMW ROM hacks, so of course I like SMW Hacking. I'm currently working on my third and final one, and no, it's not SMI3.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 04:07:42 PM »
I haven't played much of Infinity 2 yet, but I really like the first one so far. The difficulty level is just right for me; it's like being five years old and playing through SMW for the first time all over again. Hard enough to make me Game Over multiple times, but never so frustrating that I feel like I need savestates. And I'm not just saying that because you're here.

I've liked a few other SMW hacks too, but the only one I can think of right now is Keytastrophe.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 04:20:56 PM »
I think it was Infinity 2 I gave up on quite early.

After the first world, I stumbled upon a weird secret level, it contained "Glass" platforms and a bunch of Chargin' Chucks. I found the level [and the game] a bit too hard so I gave up and gave Brutal Mario a try (which I dislike because it heavily features Yoshi's Island graphics. Yoshi's Island graphics NEED to stay in Yoshi's Island).

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 04:25:58 PM »
Heck, I don't see the problem with hacking an old game, especially one as classic and structurally versatile as SMW. I'd get Lunar Magic (and maybe other such programs...), but there's a general sense of paranoia in my household concerning the possibility of computer viruses. Same reason I've yet to have the balls to get a torrenting program (or whatever).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
I've liked a few other SMW hacks too, but the only one I can think of right now is Keytastrophe.
Man, I love Keytastrophe too - I actually tested the most recent demo a little while ago and made a thorough commentary for S.N.N. (the author) to provide feedback and bug reports. I actually haven't played a lot of hacks, but Keytastrophe is my favorite for now. I'm really itching to play The Essence Star, but first, I want to play the first two in the series (I'm already halfway through the first), and to do that, I have to get a controller whose left directional button works properly.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback.

After the first world, I stumbled upon a weird secret level, it contained "Glass" platforms and a bunch of Chargin' Chucks. I found the level [and the game] a bit too hard so I gave up...
Yeah, that's Glass Secret 2. My current hack isn't going to use Chargin' Chucks at all, actually. They just wouldn't fit the theme. Going back to what CrossEyed7 said, it's going to be easier than SMI1, but I'm going to make sure the later areas provide ample challenge.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »
I 100%-completed "The New Mario World" and Super Demo World: The Legend Continues, although not without literal thousands of savestates (especially the former).   Some people apparently enjoy seeing Mario smashed, crushed, and burned to a crisp repeatedly.

I'm trying to make a hack of my own, but I'm not not going to bother starting to make levels until after I figure out the Overworld Editor.

Oh, and LunarMagic is definitely virus-free.  Good luck finding a ROM, though.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 08:22:16 PM »
I never finished TLC. There was a Pipe Maze level in World 7 that I just couldn't solve, so I gave up. I would have loved to make it into World 9.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »
Yeah, the puzzles in SDW:TLC were hard, but the difficulty wasn't that bad.  TNMW's, on the other hand, was through the roof.  I must have used 300+ savestates on Funky alone!
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print