Print

Author Topic: Sharron Angle  (Read 15213 times)

« on: July 09, 2010, 12:05:23 AM »
I'm really disinterested in politics right now but this woman is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaN5-J0icrw

She wants to abolish the Department of Education. Seriously?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:16:14 AM »
Seriously.  Sounds to me like she wants to get rid of government organizations that shouldn't exist.

Moar liek Sharon ANGEL! :D
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:54:09 AM »
I may not be a smart man in regards to politics, but I know how long we'll last as a nation with everything privatized. Especially education, you know? Poorer students won't be able to pay for education and teachers will be able to teach whatever they want (including their religious and political views). No regulation, no rules.

At least I think that's what Sharron Angle is advocating. I just wanted to post the link because her rhetoric is hilarious.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:04:31 AM »
She's probably advocating homeschooling... you know, where parents take responsibility for their own kids instead of sending them off to day care five days a week for thirteen years.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:44:21 AM »
Don't talk about public school until you've been there.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:01:08 AM »
I think I ended up pretty well being homeschooled. Unfortunately not everyone can be trusted to do a good job of educating their own children. I think it would be great if they could. Also I don't think the current school system is anywhere near a good idea at all.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 01:34:26 PM »
She's probably advocating homeschooling... you know, where parents take responsibility for their own kids instead of sending them off to day care five days a week for thirteen years.

But can we trust parents to teach their kids the right stuff? I'm in favor of reform, not eradication.

I mean, I can understand where you're coming from because high school really sucked for me (lots of teachers and students who just didn't care) but private school has its problems too. I should know, I currently attend one.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:42:11 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »
This woman is an attention whore. She raises some valid ideological points, but her outlandish approach is totally unnecessary. Also, Wikipedia reports that she's against the flouridation of drinking water. Lol.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
I think homeschooling should be like mega illegal. I was homeschooled until I was like nine and look how I turned out. I knew a bunch of kids who stayed homeschooled by their parents and they slowly morphed into the bizarre creepy fundamentalist Christian virgin basket cases they are now. They were raised entirely by their parents, which is, trust me, not a good thing. I don't care if your parents are god[darn]ed Batman and George Washington, you will turn out a twisted freak if you don't go to public school.
every

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
fundamentalist Christian

This is my main problem with homeschooling. The majority of parents who homeschool their kids are fundamentalists.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 03:55:36 PM »
Yeah, everyone should be homeschooled because every parent has enough free time to teach their children. But really, education is the job of the state, not the nation.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »
I think I ended up pretty well being homeschooled. Unfortunately not everyone can be trusted to do a good job of educating their own children. I think it would be great if they could. Also I don't think the current school system is anywhere near a good idea at all.
Pretty much exactly my viewpoint. I was homeschooled from kindergarten through seventh grade, and while my social skills have taken a while to recover (helped that our house was thirty miles away from like anything), I'm pretty well-adjusted and rather smart. But I know people who had much worse experiences. When the kids never have to leave the house and they're not old enough to call child services themselves (assuming they even have phones and can get to them and use them without their parents finding out), some pretty bad [dukar] can go down. I'm a libertarian, but I'm also a human, and I recognize you do need some government intervention sometimes.

But you know, I don't think a fully privatized school system would necessarily be all that bad. We have a privatized food system, so to speak, and that seems to work out alright. It's extensively inspected and regulated by the government to make sure it's safe and good and all, and there's food stamps if you can't afford it. The government can assure the quality of our food while leaving the production of the food in the hands of much more competent, less wasteful people, and giving us the freedom to choose the foods we want. Seems to me like you could do the same thing with schools.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
I think homeschooling should be like mega illegal. I was homeschooled until I was like nine and look how I turned out. I knew a bunch of kids who stayed homeschooled by their parents and they slowly morphed into the bizarre creepy fundamentalist Christian virgin basket cases they are now. They were raised entirely by their parents, which is, trust me, not a good thing. I don't care if your parents are god[darn]ed Batman and George Washington, you will turn out a twisted freak if you don't go to public school.
Which is funny, because George Washington was homeschooled.  Seriously, you can't make generalizations like that.  Would you say the homeschooled people here are twisted freaks (well, besides me, who pretty much everyone thinks is a twisted freak in the area of politics)?

This is my main problem with homeschooling. The majority of parents who homeschool their kids are fundamentalists.
You and Glorb both say this as though parents shouldn't have the right to educate their own children how they see fit.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 04:48:02 PM »
Turtle, I have no problem with parents educating their children. What I do have a problem with is picking and choosing what to teach.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »
But your problem isn't that they're picking, it's what they're picking. Choices always have to be made in education, you just don't like the choices they pick. So really, you are saying that parents shouldn't have the right to educate their children as they see fit. And to a certain extent, I agree. I'd go back to my food analogy again -- the government makes sure that your food isn't made out of rat poison or something, but they won't (or at least shouldn't) stop you from eating a Whopper if you want it.

they slowly morphed into the bizarre creepy fundamentalist Christian virgin basket cases they are now
  • Being a virgin is a bad thing?
  • How does one "morph into" being a virgin?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:11:46 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print