Print

Author Topic: The Pointless Topic!  (Read 2500261 times)

« Reply #10200 on: November 04, 2009, 04:18:34 AM »

If I met a girl wearing this incredibly awful dress in real life...

I would buy her dinner and spend the night playing Tetris DS matches with her.

That's right I said that.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10201 on: November 04, 2009, 05:43:22 PM »
Hellz yeah!

EDIT: In ascending order of importance...

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:50:26 PM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #10202 on: November 04, 2009, 06:00:02 PM »
One astute GoNintendo member's comment summarizes my stance regarding that game:

It's all fun and games until little Johnny shoves the wii remote up the family dog's ass.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #10203 on: November 04, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »
I posted this on /v/ yesterday.

Unsurprisingly, it did not net a single reply.

« Reply #10204 on: November 04, 2009, 07:06:38 PM »
Of course it wouldn't net any replies. You didn't include an off-topic subject or a pokegirl.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #10205 on: November 04, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »
Given their facial expressions, it seems safe to assume that the above image has a lower half which is not to be posted here.

« Reply #10206 on: November 05, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »
        Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
        The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
        I know of no reason
        Why the Gunpowder Treason
        Should ever be forgot.
        Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent
        To blow up the King and Parli'ment.
        Three-score barrels of powder below
        To prove old England's overthrow;
        By God's providence he was catch'd (or by God's mercy*)
        With a dark lantern and burning match.
        Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring. (Holla*)
        Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!

And what should we do with him? Burn him!

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #10207 on: November 05, 2009, 03:50:57 PM »
Given their facial expressions, it seems safe to assume that the above image has a lower half which is not to be posted here.

No, that's the whole image. I honestly have no clue what they're doing, nor why Cynthia is blushing. i guess she's telling a dirty joke based on her arm movements and face.

Also, pic semi-related.

« Reply #10208 on: November 05, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »
This reminds me: Why do anime characters never actually look Japanese? Thoughts, anyone?

« Reply #10209 on: November 05, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »
I once read a book that talked about the Japanese term for the "race" of anime characters. I can't remember the word and the book is at my parent's house, but it basically translates to "raceless". You see an abstract cartoon face that would be considered horrifically disfigured if seen on an RL person (see: Hi-def thread) as Caucasian because that's what your brain automatically sees a generic face representation as. To the Japanese, they would just assume the anime characters were Japanese. You've said that you don't watch any anime, but if you did, you'd know how they usually draw a character that needs to be identified as racially White (usually for a joke).

Example:

Kid, from Yakitate!! Japan (jokingly stereotypical American)

But look how they draw the normal (Japanese) people

I still can't find the term for the raceless anime style, but while searching I found another good explanation of the matter.

« Reply #10210 on: November 05, 2009, 05:05:28 PM »
Very informative, although why a typical Japanese individual would identify a light-haired, light-eyed, sharp-nosed, pinkish-skinned character as looking Japanese still defies reasonable explanation in my opinion.

By the way, I hope I'm not sounding racist here. I suppose it's also part of North American culture in which any representation of a person demands a race to be assigned to it.

« Reply #10211 on: November 05, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »
Well, why do you think this looks Caucasian?

« Reply #10212 on: November 05, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I'm looking at the "jokingly stereotypical American" and somehow immediately identified it as Caucasian (or American) despite not being able to find any blatant differences in facial structure from the anime example. It looks a little more realistic at any rate, but in the "realistic as in grotesque" way. I think it's the more blocky look, squarer head, thicker neck, long nose (compared to anime noses), more shadows, a dopey facial expression... oh, and one heck of a large lower lip. "Tuck that lower lip in!" Those eyes don't look normal at all. I think Kid's on something. Why's that nose bridge over the right eye so thick?

And the reason I see the Simpsons as Caucasian is that almost everyone on that show is a yellow color (including the Caucasian guest stars), so I've just associated that color. Incidentally, Asian characters on the Simpsons like Akira have the same color.

Is it me or does Lisa look like she's lacking a soul? That expression just doesn't look quite normal.
You didn't say wot wot.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #10213 on: November 05, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
If I took a picture of myself with my eyes wide open and my jaw hanging while smiling, It'd probably be just as scary.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10214 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »
This reminds me: Why do anime characters never actually look Japanese? Thoughts, anyone?
It's funny you should mention that, because I was musing about it the other day (on account of I have this book idea I came up with where I thought it would be interesting to have a race of people that look akin to what "raceless" anime characters typically look like)... But yeah, it make sense that a race-neutral character would be assumed to be the predominant race of the area absorbing the media in question and, in turn, what other cultures would see as defining characteristics would be taken for granted; the Simpsons thing LD touched on is a somewhat accurate example of that, and also: I would assume that drawings of people in Africa, Jamaica, etc. would not be incredibly black (I really should know, since I went to Africa, but I only remember seeing this one drawing there, in a comic, and yeah, I don't think the people were anywhere beyond slightly shaded).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print