Print

Author Topic: Floyd talk  (Read 2583 times)

« on: July 20, 2005, 10:42:54 AM »
Since I have met some interesting Pink Floyd fans here at the forum, I have taken it upon myself to make this topic.  Talk about anything you like about the band.  I dont care if you talk about the stuff you dont like about them, but if you absolutly hate the band (I wouldnt get why you would), please dont post at all, just save your breath, or finger joints, whatever.  And I do ask one more thing, after the first topic in here is made, dont make any new ones until you are almost sure its dead.  Thanks, I hope this turns out good.

WELCOME TO THE MACHINE

Edited by - superstarMASIAH on 7/20/2005 9:43:44 AM
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 03:37:41 PM »
My favorite song of their's is "Time".  You seem like a big fan; have you ever done the Wizard of Oz trick?

Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 03:42:27 PM »
That is a very good song, I like it as well.  I dont know what your talking about with the Wiz trick, the only thing fascinating about that movie is where that guy hung himself in the background.  I dont meen it was cool or anything but it was astonishing.  If I'm wrong, please tell me, I would love to learn it.

WELCOME TO THE MACHINE

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 09:16:37 PM »
You've seriously never heard about the Wizard of Oz trick?  Basically, you take Dark Side of the Moon and start it up alongside the movie.  Set the album to repeat, turn the TV's volume off, and just watch:  The music goes along with what happens in the movie.

Read more here.  I've never done it myself, so I was hoping maybe you did it.  I've only talked to one person who's done it.

Edited by - DeadAwake on 7/20/2005 8:18:21 PM

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 10:30:18 PM »
They did it at my university.  The first play-through is uncanny, but the repeat plays seem more like coincidences.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 09:57:32 AM »
As a fan of Pink Floyd, I was soon drawn into this whole thing.

I've heard that the best way to do it is to use a CD that shows a solid prism on the cover (i.e., you can't see the light being refracted like on the LP) and a pre-1989 copy of The Wizard Of Oz, that has a few seconds added or removed (I can't remember).  You would know if you had this if the opening sequence is in straight black & white, and not sepia-toned.

However, apparently variations are still good, and I think most people watch it with a DVD anyway.

I personally don't believe in repeating CDs in synching.  Some people swear by it.  (One friend of mine uses Wish You Were Here after DSotM finishes)

I probably have volumes more I could type, but I will choose to stop now.

Stockenographicism is NOT a word.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 11:36:08 AM »
The Wizard of Oz thing is actually what made me a fan... I hadn't really heard them before seeing that performance.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 12:02:47 PM »
I started when my friend left his CD at my other friends house, I went there and my friend didnt know who it was, I did know one song.  So I told him they were really good, and we listened to it for the rest of the day.  I think it was back when I was in 5th grade

WELCOME TO THE MACHINE

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 12:48:23 PM »
Does anyone like the song "Bike"?

> I personally don't believe in repeating CDs in synching.

Yeah, I thought about the ramifications; it doesn't seem likely, but I did hear the sound of a heartbeat synchs with the closing scene--when Dorothy hugs the tin man, putting the side of her face to his heart.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 04:14:35 PM »
I have done some pretty cool Floyd things while I've been gone.  I have joined a FLoyd chatroom, which I cant disclose because of the no advertising policy.  I found a new synch where you can play the song echoes and match it with the opening see "Jupiter: And beyond the infinite" on the movie 2001: a space odyssey, it was really awesome.  I have just about all of their albums on cd's, all regular andafter Waters left.  Its time to renew this thread!

But burning in my heart, the memory smoulders on, of the gunner''s dying words on the intercom...~ Roger

Print