Print

Author Topic: What've you been reading?  (Read 30216 times)

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2006, 09:10:12 PM »
Well, people, next week is...

BANNED BOOKS WEEK

Celebrate your reading freedom by reading a book that has been challenged or banned somewhere in the country.
Here's a list of books that are frequently banned.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2006, 09:12:10 PM »
Hmmm.  Maybe I'll read A Wrinkle in Time

Edit:  Hmmm again.  I think I've read this before.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll read it to Hannah.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 09:18:24 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2006, 09:13:40 PM »
Where's Gargantua and Pantagruel? It has more vulgarities in it than an R-rated movie.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 09:17:35 AM by cantthinkofaname »
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2006, 09:16:58 PM »
I've read A Wrinkle in Time and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Why on earth is James and the Giant Peach on there? I've read that one to. And I've read My Brother Sam is Dead. I read Flubber, too. I guess I'll read Huckleberry Finn.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2006, 08:37:28 AM »
Hmmm.  Maybe I'll read A Wrinkle in Time

Edit:  Hmmm again.  I think I've read this before.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll read it to Hannah.

I read that book before, it's pretty cool.
A book I just got yesterday and finished reading today would be Joey Pigza Loses Control It's a nice book, but the ending felt kinda forced and rushed.
A book that I read a few years ago and still love to this day: Bridge to Teribithia.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2006, 04:41:40 PM »
Why on earth is James and the Giant Peach on there? I've read that one to.
Well, there's child abuse.
As for me, I'm going to read Go Ask Alice. Actually, I've already started it, and it's quite a good book. If I finish it soon enough, I'll start reading of Mice and Men.
Although it's not on the list, a good banned book that I highly recomend is To Kill a Mockingbird. It's an excellent book.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2006, 05:34:53 PM »
I actually read quite a few of the books on that banned list already, and I can say that the reasons for them being banned is rediculous. Some of those are literary classics, that's what irks me the most.

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2006, 07:24:18 PM »
What the crap could be wrong with a book with an innocent title like Halloween ABC's?

We continuosly read short stories in English class, the most recent being "The Scarlet Ibis" and "The Gift of the Magi". The Scarlet Ibis was very heart-wrenching, but the latter... I prefer the version with Mickey and Minnie. There was also "The Most Dangerous Game". Very suspenseful.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2006, 10:19:21 PM »
The books on thatl ist that I've read or know about all deal with some sort of issue that protective parents probably don't want their child dealing with.  Like death of a friend, murder, slavery, or basically anything that brings about a plot.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2006, 11:42:07 PM »
What the crap could be wrong with a book with an innocent title like Halloween ABC's?

The letter 'I' is for 'icicle-murder'. I found that on Wikipedia. =O

Anyway, I've also found this version of the list interesting-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_books  is a longer list of banned books, and also shows why they were banned. Someone else posted it, but I don't know who and/or where though.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:43:45 PM by Ultima Shadow »
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2006, 06:32:44 PM »
Super Diaper Baby was chalenged in some states and along with the other CU books was banned in Ohio. And Ohio is where Pilky himself types his books. For more info see: http://www.pilkey.com for details.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2006, 04:56:26 PM »
Do you think that the game guide to PMD from Nintendo Power would count as a book?
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »
Game Guides waste money, IMO anyway. I hate them to the point that a human being can hate a bunch of paper binded together. I'm serious, they make me want to barf.

« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »
The Pokemon Game Guides often contain a myriad of mistakes... I'd just go with gamefaqs.com. Some of their guides have mistakes as well, but not as many or as noticeable as the official guides.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2006, 05:24:15 PM »
Oh man... Well, I have been reading Treasure Island...

Print