Print

Author Topic: Metroid Prime Hunters...  (Read 2576 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: March 07, 2006, 08:09:28 PM »
Is it the new Halo? From what I've read and seen about Hunters, it certainly looks to be the killer app for the Nintendo DS, like how Halo was the killer app for the (cough) Xbox (cough).

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo. And I am glad that Nintendo was inspired to create a game similar in stature to Halo.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 09:39:03 PM »
Yeah, everything I've read says that MP:Hunters is turning out to be really great.  It's strange; the Metroid franchise just seems so perfectly fit for single player gameplay (exploration and whatnot) that it's hard to imagine a good multiplayer game that uses the Metroid franchise, but it looks like they're doing it.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 02:19:31 AM »
Haha, I like the new custom title.

The DS has too many high quality games to consider Hunters a killer app, so no:  I don't think it's a Halo in that sense...
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 02:10:16 PM »
I think Metroid Prime: Hunters will be great! I've been waiting anxiously for it to finaly come out. It changed 6/1/05 - 8/15/05 - 1/1/06 - 3/20/06. It would totally stink if they decided to change the release date the day before it was supposed to be out. XD

I've heard that it will have voice chatting too; like in PC games such as Counter Strike and Battlefield. Is this true?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 05:49:02 PM »
Yes. MPH will have voice chat before and after games, but not during one. I am thinking of getting either it or Tetris DS when they come out.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »
On a system rife with killer apps, Metroid Prime Hunters shall be the killingest of all apps.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 08:55:23 PM »
Days seem to be getting slower now; even if it is only 12 days. It kind of stinks for me though, because it comes out the first day back to school. :-\ I can't wait until I graduate. Only one more year until that happens, though.[/off-topic-ness]

But, what would be the point of voice chat if it isn't during games? That was the main reason voice-chatting in video games came about-- so players wouldn't, you know, lose because they take the time to type. Meh, better done than said.

I also heard that there will be constant updating in WFC where you can download certain items, levels, abilities, etc. Is this true?

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 09:39:08 AM »
Multiplayer Metroid, who'd of thunk it?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 01:24:29 PM »
We've already had multiplayer Metroid in Echoes (of course Hunters will probably be about 30x better).

And the point of voice chat will probably be:

"I'm going to pwn you."

"I pwned you."

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »
Aha! Good one. There's my new favorite forum quote.

But don't you think that Nintendo would have at least thought of putting voice chat while playing a game? It would make a lot of sense if they did. I wonder why they didn't...

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 04:13:09 PM »
 There was an interview in EGM that discussed this issue, though I think the example Lizard Dude offered is more than enough not to include it. Regardless, here's an excerpt from EGM's interview with Reggie.

EGM: A big part of the online experience is communication, but so far the online DS games have had limited or nonexistent chat functions. Why not enable something like PictoChat or voice? Is that coming to future games?
RF: Two things: First, we did do a tech demo of [online voice chat for the DS already], so it certainly is something we're exploring. But having said that, we believe what is most important to the [online] gamer is free [and easy service]. [That's what we believe is] going to get more than the current 10 percent of people who play online games. As we get some experience, if we find that the chatting aspect is more important, I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in our games. But we have really focused [on] what our data says are the key drivers for a great online experience.
EGM: So, you're not closing it off, but right now you're not convinced that it needs that?
RF: Correct.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 04:14:58 PM by Black Mage »

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 08:03:34 PM »
Actually I'm glad they're including pre- and post-match voice chat (as well as text chat with on-screen keyboard). In my current setup, I can't be in the same room as my computer (and thus #tmk) to communicate what's going on while I'm playing. In MKDS this has led to some confusion in how long we're going to play, etc. Voice chat will make this much easier. Plus, it's fun to get the chance to easily chat with FFers!

Print