Print

Author Topic: "Why?" Sequels  (Read 19830 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2006, 11:36:17 PM »
You can use two control sticks at once in Super Mario Sunshine. The camera stick controls the camera!
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2006, 08:02:05 AM »
You also really shouldn't judge how hard a game wiil be based on the way you see someone handling the controller.

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2006, 12:13:18 PM »
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans' Chest was a good sequel. But the end left me in suspense. I wonder if I'm going to be in suspense till' my 14th birthday.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2006, 01:31:54 PM »
Sometimes, sequels are both good and bad.
If we enjoy it, we want more.
If we didn't, we play something else, and the developers try something new, or milk the cash cow even further to anger fans.

GOOD SEQUELS?
The Sims 2
Super Smash Brothers 2
Super Mario World (I think of it as a sequel to the original SMB)
PotC: DMC
Toy Story 2
Half-Life 2

The list can go on and on, but sometimes, the story just ends in a game or movie, and we just don't neeed another one.

And AbercrombieBaseball, its okay you don't know much of video games outside of Nintendo.
He's just a casual gamer.
No "WHATTUP"s, "[wtd] HOW YOU DO DAT"s, or "I LUV HALO" crunk juice coming from him.
And besides. This is a Nintendo forum.
Smile, will ya?
Most Wishy-Washy

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2006, 01:48:38 PM »
Worst sequel ever: The Matrix Reloaded
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2006, 04:46:47 PM »
If it hasn't been already mentioned, I have to say Mario Tennis. The first one pwned to major proportions. The second one, was decent, but it seemed to me like it missed the mark by a lot. Power Shots totally killed it.Totally.
We love Katamari was also an awesome sequel.
However, with most of my favorite games and movies, the third installment were better than the second, and close to the first. Look at Metal Gear Solid,Super Mario Bros.,Star Wars(Both Trilogies), and Jurassic Park.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2006, 08:09:25 PM »
Luigison is ultra wrong; the worst sequel ever was "Highlander 2: The Quickening".

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2006, 12:06:38 AM »
I thought of another area where sequels exist: cars.

It's not too often you hear of a "sequel" to a car, more like a successor, but I can think of one glaring "sequel". This would be the original VW Rabbit. Sure, it sold all right, but it was nowhere near as popular as the Beetle. My mother had a 1965 Beetle back in the day and thought the Rabbit was the ugliest thing to hit the market. (A few years later she bought a Mercury Lynx, which was one of many American Rabbit imitators.)

If you're a VW Beetle enthusiast or, like me, had a mother who was, you know that the Rabbit was not popular among many Beetle owners. It was a huge step forward in technology (keep in mind the original beetle was designed in the 1930s) and got pretty good gas mileage (30 years ago there was a gas price crisis much like today's and all the companies downsized their existing models and came out with hatchbacks like the Rabbit).

The Rabbit did have its fans, though, just like those who thought something like "Bambi II" was better than the original. However, ask most Americans about old VWs and they will almost always associate the company with the Beetle. (Some might also say the bus; I saw an original microbus in almost perfect condition on Friday!)

Interestingly the Rabbit name has been revived for the car that was to be the new Golf. Now I know the Golf was pretty popular among 20-somethings, so it will be interesting to see if the new name gets some of the old Rabbit fans to buy it again, or perhaps it will flop with the new name.

My mother wants a 1965 Beetle again, by the way. She sold it in the late 1970s to a farmer who kept it until 1990. I remember seeing it on his farm when I  was little and thought "what a funny little car" to myself. I had no idea this was my mom's first car. And I should also mention that she doesn't like the new Beetle, which is also a trend among former Beetle owners.

Just thought I'd provide a different spin on the sequels with a car.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2006, 03:47:59 PM »
You know what they should do? Make a movie Sequel 2: The Saga Continues. It's, like, the sequel to a movie called Sequel...except there was no original, so it would, like, be the first, like except it's number 2! Like, it would be all deep and, like, explore the human psyche and, um, like, blow your mind and stuff.
every

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »
But then there couldn't be a trequel, or whatever its called.
Most Wishy-Washy

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2006, 09:26:14 AM »
There should be a movie called "A Lot of Movies".  Because when I ask my mom what movies a certain actor is from, she always says "He's in a lot of movies".
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2006, 09:54:45 AM »
As long as they make A Lot of Movies III: The Sequel to A Lot of Movies II, Which Never Came Out.
every

Jman

• Score
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2006, 08:51:07 AM »
Yes!  I've been waiting for a topic to spout off about crappy sequels!  I agree with G-Dawg and pt_peach about The Sandlot 2.  Besides the "love story," The plot was pretty much the same.  But, there were quirks that made it different.  Try, the girls.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2006, 08:41:00 AM »
I liked Tremors 1 and 2, and thought 3 was okay, but Tremors 4 crossed the line. It introduced a new graboid that, despite coming BEFORE the originals (the big, slow, worm things), is faster and more agile than the third iteration (in Tremors 3). Apparently, they forgot they were making a prequel, and effectively retconned forward in time. Stupid.
every

Jman

• Score
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2006, 03:45:38 PM »
The way I see it, a movie had better have a lot of story material to make more movies in the series.  Take the Rocky series.  They needed 5 of those movies to show how Rocky fares over the years.  In Rocky (the first one), he takes Apollo Creed to the limit.  In the second one, he wins the title.  In Rocky 3, he loses the title, but rebounds to win it back.  In Rocky 4, a new challenge is yet again issued by Drago.  And, in Rocky 5, he plays the role of trainer.  See?  A lot of story material.  Which makes me wonder how they will do The Sandlot 3, which I read in this topic.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print