Print

Author Topic: The Toon Discussion Thread  (Read 77649 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 10:25:01 PM »
I don't know!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 10:37:01 PM »
Well, if we are to each give our opinions of cartoons, I might as well give mine.

This is like when you go to an open discussion about, say, tax inceases. The topic is about the possible increase coming soon, but you are the one against the tax increase and you go to state your position and make your voice heard. Even if you're not exactly what the moderator/leader wants, you are presenting an alternate point of opinion for people to think about, agree with, or argue with. As long as you're not talking about, say, the gas mileage of 2006 Volvo S40 sedans (which would be off topic) and are staying focused on something (i.e. the counterpoint) it should be acceptable.

This example above can be translated to this section of the forum as to why I wrote what I did. In a way, this is a problem of democracy, but in another sense, it is a free-speech environment working at its finest.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 12:00:45 AM »
You didn't counterpoint anything. If this were your "tax increase" scenario, it would be like someone coming in and saying, "In my country, we don't even have taxes :D".

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 02:00:17 AM »
Back on topic...

South Park is my favorite cartoon.  Often South Park is just stupid, but when it's good, it's great.  My second favorite cartoon is Futurama.  Futurama is far superior to The Simpsons IMHO.  I think many will agree that some of the best episodes of The Simpsons are the Treehouse of Horror Halloween specials, because in those episodes the writers can just do any crazy thing they think of without worrying about the constraints of reality.  Every single episode of Futurama is like that.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 02:28:29 AM »
I don't really understand the popularity of Family Guy. The jokes on it can be found on any other show.

It's not the jokes, it's the way the jokes are presented that make Family Guy different. They're quick cut-aways that have little to do with the show but still produce a laugh. Not many cartoons can do or even try doing that.

"Bat Man"

*Takes a deep breath*

It's Batman! No space in the middle, no need to capitolise the M!

Sorry about that. Let the Batfan out of me there for a moment.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 09:52:42 AM »
Come to think of it, Superman doean't have a space either. Nor does Spider-man or Gamecube. But this is off-topic.

Anyone heard of Felix the Cat? I love him. I also got a crappy DVD of his movie, which had horrible animation quality and stuff, but I still love the movie.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 12:18:29 PM »
Felix is cool too, TC.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 01:49:36 PM »
Futurama is one of my favorite cartoons, because the jokes on it can be a little sick and stupid (like in Family Guy and South Park), but they mix in some really quiet jokes that you have to think about before you understand it. Some people miss Futurama's jokes totally, and I have to explain it to them.

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »
South Park is more intelligent than both combined. If you fail to see that it's a personal problem.

I don't see how it's a "personal problem." It's my opinion. I have no problem with anyone liking South Park, it's just that I enjoy Family Guy more than SP.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 09:21:54 PM »
The "you" was the Universal You, not you you.

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2006, 03:42:58 PM »
I like Family Guy a lot, just because I find myself laughing really hard every single time I watch it.

Stewie:  "I say, look, Brian!  Brian, look at me!  I'm writing profanity on the wall!"
*Brian looks up from newspaper to see Stewie holding a crayon with the word 'Poppycock' written behind him*

Futurama is okay, it's just that I hate the main characters.  Fry is extremely annoying, and he's always being portrayed as the good guy.  He's not, really.  Bender runs on alcohol.  Enough said.
Though, I do like Dr. Zoidberg.  He sounds weird whenever he screams.

As far as South Park goes, I do find it funny in some cases.  The animation is a little cheap, but that's okay.  I like when Cartman says 'kitty' or 'mom'.  He just has this whiney little way of talking.

Cartman:  "Nooo, Kitty, they're my cheesey poofs!"
Kitty:  *meow*
Cartman:  "Nooooo, Kitty!"   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 03:46:24 PM by The Blue Toad »
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2006, 09:37:32 PM »
Anyone around here ever see 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'? I think it's kick-arse.

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2006, 10:02:50 PM »
Rodger Rabbit is freakin' awesome! It's a little older than some animated/live action movies, but it still tops them all.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2006, 09:42:10 AM »
Indeed. I also liked Space Jam and Looney Toons: Back in Action.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2006, 02:18:21 PM »
space Jam is the best.

Print