Print

Author Topic: The Toon Discussion Thread  (Read 78027 times)

« Reply #285 on: October 03, 2006, 04:34:11 PM »
Meh, I've grown to respect GiftedGirl a bit more than some of the newer people I've encountered here.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #286 on: October 03, 2006, 06:39:11 PM »
Well, it's better than to argue with Nintendo Bros. who'll probably never give us a real answer and is getting more attention than he deserves.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2006, 10:21:42 PM »
I wonder if SNL ever spoofed any popular cartoon or videogame? 
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2006, 06:29:29 AM »
If they haven't, they should.  I'd love to see SNL spoof something like Mario.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #289 on: October 05, 2006, 01:37:03 PM »
Well, it's better than to argue with Nintendo Bros. who'll probably never give us a real answer and is getting more attention than he deserves.

I'll never tell you...MWA HA HA...Fine, I will. This is my OPINION about anime. I don't like beacuse it's so annoying. They never make any good animes. The only good animes I like is maybe Shin-Chan and Bleach but that's it. The problem is...maybe 90% of anime isn't funny or cool enough. Now if a anime was like Family Guy or Robot Chicken, then I would like it.

Now I apolgize to Vid and any anime lovers.

Does that clear things up :/?
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #290 on: October 05, 2006, 03:23:37 PM »
I think the problem is that they don't release enough animes in the US. Just imagine if ever Japanese cartoon ever concieved was sent here....

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #291 on: October 05, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »
Have you noticed that most anime that gets brought here practically get spit on by the dubbers?  There are some good dubs out there, but crappy outnumber the good, sadly.  I'm glaring at companies, like 4Kids, for trashing good anime to make them more 'kid friendly'!  I understand their intentions for protecting the younger audience, but that's the problem right there.  The dubs wouldn't be trashed as badly if they aren't dubbed by studios that focus on the younger viewers and the younger viewers alone.   There should be more than one version of dubs: one version would be the cencored, sometimes trashed stuff you see on Saturday mornings, and the other version would be an untainted version for older fans that would air on stuff like Adult Swim
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #292 on: October 05, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »
I'll never tell you...MWA HA HA...Fine, I will. This is my OPINION about anime. I don't like beacuse it's so annoying. They never make any good animes. The only good animes I like is maybe Shin-Chan and Bleach but that's it. The problem is...maybe 90% of anime isn't funny or cool enough. Now if a anime was like Family Guy or Robot Chicken, then I would like it.

Now I apolgize to Vid and any anime lovers.

Does that clear things up :/?

Oh, I get it. You're only interested in comedy...and Bleach.

Well then, mystery solved.

Have you noticed that most anime that gets brought here practically get spit on by the dubbers?  There are some good dubs out there, but crappy outnumber the good, sadly.  I'm glaring at companies, like 4Kids, for trashing good anime to make them more 'kid friendly'!  I understand their intentions for protecting the younger audience, but that's the problem right there.  The dubs wouldn't be trashed as badly if they aren't dubbed by studios that focus on the younger viewers and the younger viewers alone.   There should be more than one version of dubs: one version would be the cencored, sometimes trashed stuff you see on Saturday mornings, and the other version would be an untainted version for older fans that would air on stuff like Adult Swim

...You do realize anime is getting less censored nowadays then they were a decade ago? 4Kids is really the only company today that refuses to release uncut shows and americanize stuff. I mean look at Viz and Funi. Before Viz got the license to Naruto and Funi got the rights to FullMetal Alchemist they had terrible reputations for the editing of their shows. Along they came with nearly uncut shows and bam, suddenly they're not the bad guys anymore.

And that last comment reminds me of this report from Toon Zone's Chad Lee who commented on how he attended a Toonami panel at a convention a few weeks ago and most of the questions asked were "When will Gundam air on Adult Swim again?"
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2006, 11:20:37 AM »
Well the statement "They never make any good animes" is false. I would say there is probably more that isn't worth watching than what is worth watching, but that stil doesn't mean there aren't good ones.
Why would you want an anime like Family Guy and Robot Chicken, when you already have those two shows? Not to say there aren't a few out there.
Also, according to some guy I know, the more violent episodes of Naruto haven't made it over to America yet, and also I hear the Viz dub of that show is not very good. I guess I'll reserve my judgment on things like Naruto until I see them, though, if that ever happens.
That was a joke.

« Reply #294 on: October 06, 2006, 11:38:16 AM »
"I'll never tell you...MWA HA HA...Fine, I will. This is my OPINION about anime. I don't like beacuse it's so annoying. They never make any good animes. The only good animes I like is maybe Shin-Chan and Bleach but that's it. The problem is...maybe 90% of anime isn't funny or cool enough. Now if a anime was like Family Guy or Robot Chicken, then I would like it."

Uhhh, there is actually very good anime.  You can't just watch the every anime show on American broadcast and say anime is "gay".  To get some good anime action, you either have to buy it, or, uhh, you could rent it.  I have rented some good ones, the only thing about renting is that the VideoKing usually dosn't have all the episodes to a series.  So your basically left hanging on the edge of your seat.
I only watch [adult swim]

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #295 on: October 06, 2006, 05:25:45 PM »
No, there are a couple very good series on Cartoon Network and stuff.
That was a joke.

« Reply #296 on: October 07, 2006, 08:48:39 PM »
Kirby no longer having the ability to speak english (also in the Japan version)

Actually, Kirby's Japanese voice was left completely intact for the 4Kids dub. 4Kids is completely innocent when it comes to that. Not that I don't hate them with every fiber of my being, but still.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 08:57:07 PM by PaperMario »

« Reply #297 on: October 07, 2006, 08:57:16 PM »
Actually, Kirby's Japanese voice was left completely intact for the 4Kids dub. 4Kids is completely innocent when it comes to that.
Actually, I believe Kirby used to say small things such as, "Watermelon"(in japanese, of course) or the names of his attacks in the original. So 4K!ds isn't entirely innocent on that.

Altought I could be wrong.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #298 on: October 08, 2006, 09:19:48 AM »
...You do realize anime is getting less censored nowadays then they were a decade ago? 4Kids is really the only company today that refuses to release uncut shows and americanize stuff.
Yes, I have noticed that.  I was just pointing out, with a drawn-out rant, my disgust with 4Kids for continuing the trend of trashing good anime to make it more appropriate for the younger, American audience.  The Pokemon anime was great back in the day, (with the exception of the fact that 4Kids left out two important episodes) but by the time of the Johto seasons, it got too repetative.  I guess the reason I like the old episodes of the Pokemon anime is because at least one ep would show Jessie, James, or Meowth's life before Team Rocket.  Those episodes made me deeply pity these three thieves and grow to love them.  Jessie and James are really two lost children who had no real family till they found each other.

4Kids didn't dub these anime, but these dubs were actually really great and were two of my favorites back in the day: Digimon (1st season) and Dragonball (not Dragonball Z)  I'm pretty sure the original Japanese Dragonball had more to it, but I was pretty satisfied with what the dub kept.  Same thing with Digimon.  Then again, most studios didn't worry about the physical viloence in cartoons till the complaints of parents about young kids accidentally injuring a friend using a move they learned from stuff like DBZ, while playing.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #299 on: October 08, 2006, 02:41:32 PM »
Actually, I believe Kirby used to say small things such as, "Watermelon"(in japanese, of course) or the names of his attacks in the original. So 4K!ds isn't entirely innocent on that.

Altought I could be wrong.

Even if that is the case, it's only small things anyway. I'm glad they did this instead of just giving Kirby some bad VA, when it's totally unnessecary.

Print