Print

Author Topic: U.S. Military tests weapons on civilians  (Read 8148 times)

« on: September 13, 2006, 11:11:03 AM »
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 12:00:05 PM »
You forgot to use the word "nonlethal" in your title.  Also, they haven't tested them "on" civilians, but are hoping to develop them to be used in combat to reduce civilian causalities.  This is on par with tear gas or concussion grenades, but from what I've seen is much safer and doesn't cause long term harm.  I may be impartial since my wife works for the Air Force, but I'd much rather our military and police use nonlethal weapons than launch missiles or go in guns blazing and kill entire families in a building when they are only after one or two people in that building.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:46:03 PM »
Yeah, Wumbo, this is a good thing. Next time you want to "rage against the machine" make sure you pick a better subject.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »
I wonder how many people here would be willing to participate in the test. It's easy to say it's non-lethal until you're asked to actually do it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 03:56:23 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 05:45:01 PM »
It's easy to say it's non-lethal until your asked to actually do it.
No, it's always easy to say a weapon is nonlethal. If you had a lethal weapon (successfully) tested on you, it would be much harder to say that it was lethal.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 05:58:32 PM »
Also, we don't know if these 'nonlethal' weapons have any side effects.
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 06:15:42 PM »
I'm kind of against the non-lethalness also, not that it is bad to use non-lethal weapons, but I think it is wrong to use them on crowds.  It just isn't right, this kind of control reminds me of the iron curtain in so many ways, many things of our modern gorvernment do.
I only watch [adult swim]

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 07:29:51 PM »
If you had a lethal weapon (successfully) tested on you, it would be much harder to say that it was lethal.
Huh.  I think it'd be easy to tell if it was lethal.  If a lethal weapon is successful then people would die.  A nonlethal weapon wouldn't kill anyone.  That's pretty much definition.  Did I misunderstand your sentence?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 08:57:19 PM »
'If we're not willing to use it here against our fellow citizens, then we should not be willing to use it in a wartime situation,'' said Wynne.''
This is an interesting statement.  I wonder how many Americans would agree with it.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 09:29:47 PM »
Huh.  I think it'd be easy to tell if it was lethal.  If a lethal weapon is successful then people would die.  A nonlethal weapon wouldn't kill anyone.  That's pretty much definition.  Did I misunderstand your sentence?

No, it was just a completely nonsensical sentence. If you successfully tested a lethal weapon, the test subject would be dead. In no way then is it more difficult to call that a lethal weapon.

You guys are ridiculous. Why hate the military for trying to reduce casualties? Are kids these days filled with so much hatred and angst? I thought that's why you guys had your live journals and blogs, to vent all that hatred. (And feel important.)

In order of posting:

I wonder how many people here would be willing to participate in the test. It's easy to say it's non-lethal until your asked to actually do it.

That's really not here nor there. Someone has to test it, and it's probably tested on animals or whatever convention they use in this day and age before testing on humans. Saying "THE MILITARY IS TESTING ITS WEAPONS ON CITIZENS!" is really just an obvious statement. It's not like they're going into random towns and spraying gas in people's faces, no, they're obviously informed people who have, of their own will, signed up for this. It's really irrelevant where they are from.

No, it's always easy to say a weapon is nonlethal. If you had a lethal weapon (successfully) tested on you, it would be much harder to say that it was lethal.
I addressed this early on, but we're back to it again. It really doesn't make any sense. If a weapon kills someone, it's lethal. If you're going to be technical, sure, I can say anything is non-lethal, but that doesn't make it true. It just makes me a liar, or an ignorant person.

Also, we don't know if these 'nonlethal' weapons have any side effects.

Do you understand what tests are for? I highly doubt these tests are to make sure no one dies.

'If we're not willing to use it here against our fellow citizens, then we should not be willing to use it in a wartime situation,'' said Wynne.''
This is an interesting statement.  I wonder how many Americans would agree with it.

I think in regard to this situation, and non-lethal weapons, sure I'd agree with it. But it becomes a different story when considering lethal weapons, for obvious reasons.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 09:33:15 PM »
I think you guys (except for Luigison) mostly missed my joke there. It's a lot harder to say that a lethal weapon was lethal because you'd be dead.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 09:44:42 PM »
Hey, I'd allow myself to be hit by some fast-paced waves if it'll help me sleep.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 10:00:10 PM »
I think you guys (except for Luigison) mostly missed my joke there. It's a lot harder to say that a lethal weapon was lethal because you'd be dead.

I considered it, but I didn't expect to see "humor" in this thread. My mistake, apparently.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 10:22:28 PM »
Yeah.  I got it, but wasn't sure either.

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 03:58:01 PM »

Actually, I posted before you, so I didn't even get to see the joke.

Funny though.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 08:59:30 AM »
Hey, now I get it! That free DS raffle at the library was just a ruse for the military to test tasers on me! Well, maybe the tasers were because of the disorderly conduct, etc. etc., but I still feel like a ginnie pig. Or guinie pig, I don't know how to spell it.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 08:36:48 PM »
Guinea pig.

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 05:27:53 PM »
Thank you, MaxVance. I didn't want to go into a guinea pig rant.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »
There should be an amendment to the constitution stating that "Under no circumstance can the military use and form of weaponry on civilians?
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »
I looked at the September 15 in my last post here and thought, "When did I make this post?" Then I realized that this is just some old, dreged-up topic.

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 09:29:26 PM »
I doubt Nensondubious actually reads the topics he posts in.

The article in the first post doesn't even exist anymore.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
I learned how to spell many words since 2006. Ginnea pig is not one of them.
every

Print