Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Advance thoughts  (Read 3311 times)

« on: June 14, 2001, 08:14:25 AM »
Okay gang!  Who has picked up a Game Boy Advance and Super Mario Advance yet?  What's everyone's opinion on this recent port?  Do you think the games stack up to their original versions?

Personally, I like the game.  Unfortunately, I'm discouraged that Nintendo feels the need to keep re-hashing the classic Mario games.  While they are great, I'm ready for some more side-scrolling action.  With this game engine, they could have thrown in tons of new levels, instead of the classic game with few modifications and some Yoshi egg challenges.  Also, I'm not happy with the Subcon areas (the inside the magic potion door areas).  These have to be placed in the oddest places on the Game Boy Advance to retrieve the mushroom, and they do NOT match with the classic NES and Super NES versions.

Mario Bros. was a hoot to play.  The addition of music and the extra POW block is a nice touch.  I also like how they retained the original sound effects, to give it that bit of nostalgia.  Haven't tried the multiplayer mode just yet.

BTW, I tried my Super Mario Bros. Deluxe gamepak in my Game Boy Advance.  The color pallette is a little off, but other than that it looks great.  You can really see the screen limitations of the Game Boy and Game Boy Colors when played on this new screen. :p

Here's hoping Nintendo, while remembering the classics that established them as a leader in video games, will be a little more creative and give us something new to play.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2001, 01:00:25 PM »
I got mine.

I haven't noticed any Mushrooms being different, but then again I haven't tested every location.

What I don't like is the scrolling. Of course, the GBA's resolution (240x160 I think) is smaller than the NES's res. (256x224). When you turn and walk a few steps in the other direction, the whole screen swings around, which almost always messes up my jumps.
Plus, I'm used to seeing more on the screen, so just like SMBDX did to SMB, the smaller resolution makes the game harder. At least for me.

Link

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2001, 03:55:04 PM »
Got mine too.

SMA is really cool. The charactes talk and the enimes are bigger. There's more of a challange in it. Anyways, in this first level, instead of having 4 heart energy, I was able to get a 5 heart energy. Sounds weird.

------------------------------
The Triforce Protector

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2001, 04:00:14 PM »
I got mine two, the next game I want to get is either castlevania or Chu Chu Rocket

"PARATROOPA'S, ATTACK"
"PARATROOPA''S, ATTACK"

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2001, 06:11:19 PM »
I haven't picked up a copy of Super Mario Advance yet (I also have yet to grab a GBA).  Thing is, I really don't plan to pick the game up.  I already own Super Mario All-Stars, which has both Super Mario Bros. 2 AND the classic Mario Bros. arcade game.

I'm a little ****ed at Nintendo because of this.  Every new console is supposed to get a new Mario adventure, am I right?  If Nintendo keeps rehashing, they're going to get some serious heat from critics and Nintendo-haters. . .

-----------------------

-==bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ==-
Have a nice end of the world.
Haters gonna hate

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2001, 12:49:40 AM »
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is downright awesome. It did freeze up on me once, but I still feel it's been worth every penny.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2001, 04:37:14 AM »
yeah deezer, two of my friends bought and told me they can't get enough, so now I;m in a pickle. Chu Chu Rocket or Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. Help me!

"PARATROOPA'S, ATTACK"
"PARATROOPA''S, ATTACK"

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2001, 02:30:31 PM »
I like SMBA. I wish they added new levels or a level creator though. The game seemed way too easy. Especially since you could get hearts without any trouble.

DarKnight13
Super Mario Bros. 2 Worship
@
http://smb2.cjb.net

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2001, 02:51:44 PM »
It seems Castlevania is popular, so you might want to go with that.

I don't have my GBA yet, but when I do, if I do, I'm gonna get F-Zero and Tony Hawk 2.

Don't forget that there are utilities at Zophar.net like level editors for the emulated NES SMB2 and SMB3 games.

btw, try to find a document telling how to use Lunar Magic, the level editor for the emulated Super Mario World. I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it work, and any help would be appreciated.

To be a Koopa, you must become a Koopa.
You didn't say wot wot.

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2001, 04:39:48 PM »
Super Mario Advance does a better job as far as playability goes than Super Mario Bros. DX did -- I really don't notice the smaller screen size for the game. The only problem I have is with the "screen scroll" that happens when you go up or down -- but that was present in the original SMB2 as well. Oh well.

Castlevania is the best title on the GBA. Trust me.

Deezer, you broke down and bought a GBA?
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2001, 09:04:48 PM »
Sorry.. the message accidentally got double-posted.. ;P

Edited by - Grizzlemoth on 6/20/2001 8:05:44 PM
"Plug your controller into controller port 2. If you do that he won''t be able to read your mind!"
-Roy Campbell (Metal Gear Solid)

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2001, 09:04:52 PM »
I liked SMBA as well, however I did think that they should have given you the option to play the original, untampered game as well. I realize that this would have required more time in programming and possibly a price increase, but it was indeed a good game.

"Plug your controller into controller port 2. If you do that he won''t be able to read your mind!"

Print