Poll

As is, are you for or against the Nintendo Health and Safety disclaimer?

For it.
Against it.
Print

Author Topic: WARNING - HEALTH AND SAFETY  (Read 12504 times)

« on: May 21, 2006, 09:48:16 AM »
BEFORE POSTING, READ THE FUNGI
FORUMS PRECAUTIONS BLURB
FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION
ABOUT YOUR FUNGI AND FORUMS

TO GET AN EXTRA COPY FOR YOUR PET CAT, GO ONLINE AT
http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/board.shtml

Scroll the Mouse Wheel to continue

If you've played any Nintendo games from the past couple of years, chances are you've seen something like the above.  What are your thoughts on it?  You are allowed to retract your vote, because it's easy to be hasty.  Here are some things to think about:

• What if the warning screen has actually saved lives?
  • If you add up all the time it's wasted--millions of people having to wait through that screen, many, many times--and it turns out to be more than a lifetime multiplied by the number of lives saved, does that defeat the purpose?
  • Every Nintendo game is supposed to have the warning screen from now on.  I think it's built into the Wii, like it is with DS.  Shouldn't we be able to turn it off?
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 10:11:13 AM »
My guess is, on console games at least, the disclaimer shows while games are loading so it doesn't waste any time.  Load times for Nintendo games are relatively low on average anyway, so it's forgiveable.

Besides, the real purpose of the disclaimers is to keep Nintendo from getting sued.  So be it.  Anything to keep the Big N making games.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 10:53:54 AM »
Against it. Everyone who plays should already know.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 01:29:15 PM »
Wait...what exactly the safety thing for. I want to be sure.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:39:34 PM »
Certain people have a condition that gives them seizures with the screen movement and such.

It's fine by me, but let's compare. For PMTTYD for example, it takes too long, what with all the stuff before you can pick a file and play. But look at the DS, it's built in to happen at the same time as the logo. That's much better. An option to turn it off would be nice, but don't delete it entirely. you never know, it may have saved lives. No one takes time to read the manual, but if it appears in front of you every day you can't miss it. Leave it built in with an option to turn it off.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 01:41:32 PM »
Well I think it's ok to put it up, because I didn't what the heck it was for. I COULD'VE HAD A SEIZURE!

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 01:51:35 PM »
no one realy gets seizures from a video game. and if they do then they would of known bfore (like mentioned earlier)

there are so many greedy people in this world looking for lawsuits. that warning says "we warned you its your fault you had a seizure, dont sue us"

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 01:54:31 PM »
Uhhh...I think that it only takes up a few seconds of your time, and is not a big deal.  I mean, so what if you have to wait a little longer.  It makes you anxious for the game, and lets you appreciate it more(?)
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 02:01:58 PM »
Against it. Everyone who plays should already know.

Just because people SHOULD know doesn't mean they do. You are HIGHLY underestimating the amount of stupidity the human race can exhibit.

I mean, coffee is hot. Common sense, right? Didn't stop someone from suing McDonald's after it spilled on his (her?) lap.

I'm for it because America is sue-happy.
~I.S.~

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 02:23:03 PM »
Nintendo would get their living flesh sued off (Sorry if that seemed a little inappropriate.) if they took it off Health & Safety, so I'm for it, these days people sue on everything when they say the never got warning.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:36:25 PM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 02:27:55 PM »
  • If you add up all the time it's wasted--millions of people having to wait through that screen, many, many times--and it turns out to be more than a lifetime multiplied by the number of lives saved, does that defeat the purpose?

No, because I'm sure everyone would willingly donate a few minutes/hours of their life to save someone else's life. However, I really liked the question (and the whole post in general).

I voted against. I doubt any lives have actually been saved so far. I figure the only people who might be affected don't know that they could be affected, because they've never had a seizure yet. The ones who know about their problem probably avoid flashing TVs like the plague. And yes, you should be able to turn it off on your own system.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »
i realy dont mind waiting.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 04:14:22 PM »
One reason they post the Health and Safety for the games................you never know what kind of jerk would do something so incredibly stupid, and then blame Nintendo for it until it actually happens. Sure, it's pathetic; people today have no morality. But heck, I wouldn't want to get sued. So yeah, I don't like it. Not one bit. But it keeps the lawyer away.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 04:25:22 PM »
I am for it, but think it should only appear when a file is created for a single player game.

(My keyboard is screwy.  The single quote pulls up the find menu and the back arrow is not working.  I think it is time to change the batteries.)
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 05:24:33 PM »
The warnings appear so briefly that I don't even see why this is a subject of debate.

Print