Print

Author Topic: Subspace Emissary Discussion (Heavy SSE Spoilers)  (Read 14112 times)

« on: March 18, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »
First off...I hope this contributes more to Fungi Forums.
I found a lot of things strange in the SSE, and I'm sure you did too. There are small random things, like why certain characters were where, but also, are there other characters not included? (Like, is Toad somewhere in the world?) It seems to be, as Krystal has a cameo, and the southern end of the continent is not shown. Here's a list of questions I have...add to the list, or answer some!

1. What was Lucas doing in a Abandoned Zoo, Why was the Theme of Love playing, why was Lucas sad? (Had his mother just died?)
2. What is Porky doing, randomly attacking Ness and Lucas, and what is his role in the Bowser---Ganondorf---Master Hand---Tabuu line?
3. Do the characters secretly speak? (Diddy Kong appears to be speaking to Fox in a cutscene)
4. Are there other characters in the world?
5. (Minor one) What is Link's view on Yoshi, the first time he passes him? (Does Link regard Yoshi as forest wildlife?)
6. Are there more character relations then just Link...sees Zelda attacked...reacts?
7. What is up with R.O.B. suddenly joining the band, after causing so much misery?
8. Where does AM(Or R.O.B.) fit in the Army line? See above.
9. Many, many more questions on Trophy/World Relationships/Governement/Death/Politics.
10. How have almost all of the characters never met each other?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »
1 and 2: The plot makes little sense: the displaced trophies in their psuedo-environments just try to do what they'd do normally, but elements are off. Consider the fact just about every game's environment appears on one continent.

3: They only speak with what sound effects exist in normal gameplay (that's a real literal answer there).

4: Nope.

5: Perhaps he didn't even see Yoshi until the Primids appeared.

6: You do see things such as Mario avenging Peach's "death," Samus saving Pikachu from some sort of horrible experiment, and King Dedede enthusiastically greeting Kirby.

7: R.O.B. was never on the Subspace Army's side. I can't remember everything from what I read with the trophies, but their facilities were annexed to produce the Subspace Bombs, and they were essentially enslaved. R.O.B., their apparent leader, was forced to lead them.

8: I believe I just answered that.

9: Okay.

10: Although they exist as trophies in this world, they appear to have the experience of their counterparts in actual games-- and it seems the new trophies felt more out of place.

All those questions aside, does anyone know what the flag/circle symbols on the map mean? I would assume flagged courses have been completely explored, and the others have more exits or items. Actually, I just realized: perhaps the places without flags also have trophies to get. It would explain why many boss-levels are missing flags.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:36:42 AM »
Well, after getting Toon Link and Wolf, the levels they were hidden in turned from flags to crowns, so I'm assuming flags denote finished, yet not fully explored levels.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »
Correct, as described by Sakurai a few weeks ago: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/modea14.html

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
Whoops. I should have gone back and read that article again.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »
2. Well doesn't Porky hate Lucas and Ness? Of course he would randomly attack. Or.... he was given orders by Tabuu.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:06:10 PM »
I'd say he's just fulfilling his character as just a bully; little kid wandering around, Porky decides he wants to terrorize him a bit, Ness stops him, yadda yadda yadda.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »
A new question that I have is... WHAT THE HECK! Whats with Sonic just randomly appearing at the end?! where did he come from? was Tabuu also attacking his world also at the same time?
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 08:52:37 PM »
1. What was Lucas doing in a Abandoned Zoo, Why was the Theme of Love playing, why was Lucas sad? (Had his mother just died?)
Well, that zoo is pretty creepy...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 12:10:46 AM »
A new question that I have is... WHAT THE HECK! Whats with Sonic just randomly appearing at the end?! where did he come from? was Tabuu also attacking his world also at the same time?

I've heard a rumour that Sakurai decided on the roster ages before the release (the consensus being 2 years or so ago) and that Sonic was a relatively last-minute addition, hence his small role in the Subspace Emissary (come on, would you want to edit all of those cutscenes to include Sonic?).

But in regards to the story itself, I find it ironic that Sonic, the fastest thing alive, was the last and latest to arrive to fight Tabuu.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:26:40 AM »
Since I think there's two ways to get every character (one directly involving SSE, one not), they just threw him in there in the last little bit in case you couldn't figure out how to get him before. That, or they didn't want a third-partier interfering too much with the plot (but then what of Snake? Oh, well, maybe they still hold a grudge about competing agains Sonic in the SNES/Genesis era...).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
You know when Link tried attacking Mario when he saw them next to the Zelda trophy? I find it strange how Mario was prepared to fight Yoshi. I mean, he's right there...
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
Sonic was added near the end of development, after the story and everything was done.  Sakurai said so during his talk at GDC.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 11:40:59 AM »
I really don't expect to get another Smash Bros. game, but if we do I'm sure there will be another story mode and Sonic(and likely a second character from his universe...probably Knuckles or even Shadow in the Dedede "Looks like a villian, but isn't" role) will have a bigger role. A ot of the areas in the SSE seem to be referances to different games. The inside of the ship was reminiscient of Metal Gear despite being Meta Knight's ship. And the idea of a Floating Island...while the stage has NOTHING to do with floating...or an island...seems to be a Sonic referance,. Or could be.

To be honest, I could deal without seeing another fighting game since really we're just at the point where it's "Add new characters, stages, etc". Which is great, but you could just do a SSBB -Championship Edition or something, street fighter style with extra features. But I almost would like a standalone Adventure title in the vein of SSE but completely dedicated to nostalgia, game referances, character interaction and platforming. Being standalone could allow for characters to not have those "I just died because I'm platforming in a fighting game" moments. And it could be longer and more detailed. And if it takes a new SSB to get that....well, fine. But it sounds like it could work, and even be a "unique franchise" and entice Sakurai.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 03:24:22 AM »
1. I think that the Ruined Zoo being where the Mother characters meet is a reference to Podunk Zoo from the first game. Perhaps Lucas was wandering around the place because it's an ancient PSI user's homeland, or was looking for their fabulous singing monkey. But I wonder what happened that made it so ruined... maybe before proceeding to Eagleland, Giegue really did get revenge on Ninten, or at least the country where he once lived. But I'm just a wishful Mother fan; Sakurai wouldn't have had that all planned out. At most, the Zoo is a reference to Podunk.

3. That's what makes the game so hard: everyone's a mime.

6. Mario loves Peach. Big news. But I was a bit hurt that he'd impulsively attack Yoshi like that. They're supposedly better friends than any other pair of Nintendo characters, ever... I imagine he'd trust him enough to get an answer before jumping to a conclusion, especially under such weird circumstances. But there are other ways, to me, in which Mario just doesn't seem like Mario in Smash.

Link protects Zelda... If not romance, he probably respects her deeply for the events in Twilight Princess. Though, it could just be the designs of Link and Zelda in Brawl, and not the actual characters. What the Dukar is Link doing with a Navi-like fairy?

9. No.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print