Print

Author Topic: Nintendo Power August 2008 Best of the Best  (Read 14125 times)

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »
Also, SNES list fails for leaving out Donkey Kong Country 2.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »
Lack-of-Rare angst, I'm sure.

1. It's more of the same, with the wolf thing and shake attacks as gimmicks
In that case, Majora's Mask is more of the same with the masks and "3 days" as a gimmick. Or maybe Wind Waker is more of the same with cel-shading as a gimmick. Or maybe Minish Cap is more of the same with shrinking as a gimmick... The only true gimmicks are those that involve peripherals/"innovative" control methods.

2. It's Ocarina of Time with a new coat of paint
If this has anything to do with the fact that the world map of GCN TP is almost identical to Ocarina of Time's... that's called canonical accuracy.

I understand that you just posted those two statements to answer my question, so it's not like I'm bashing you for believing in them.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »
I like Twilight Princess, but I think Wind Waker is better as a Zelda game. TP might be the better game overall, but I feel like WW is closer to Miyamoto's vision, what with the exploration and the youthful look and whatnot. Not that I know what Miyamoto thinks, but WW feels more like his descriptions of exploring in the woods as a kid as an inspiration for the original LOZ, while TP seems more like a way of just ending the OoT era.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »
Miyamoto makes some great games (or used to before he became the overseer) but I hardly think his gaming ideals are very awesome.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
I feel like WW is closer to Miyamoto's vision, what with the exploration and the youthful look and whatnot. Not that I know what Miyamoto thinks, but WW feels more like his descriptions of exploring in the woods as a kid as an inspiration for the original LOZ,
Hmm... I definitely see what you're saying there. After all, that was arguably the most exploration-heavy Zelda game, what with the ocean (love it or hate it) and all.

That reminds me of something I was pondering before... Would you say WW technically has the biggest overworld of any videogame or not?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 04:41:01 AM »
That's it!!

I've been tossing the 3-D Zelda games around in my thoughts trying to determine which one was best after OoT. Twilight Princess is a great game, but something about it has felt un-Zelda-ly to me, and I didn't know what. Now I know--it's that I don't have memories of wandering around between the story's events in the first playthrough. After the game, yes, but that's not the same. I guess it's partially my fault for being a point-A-point-B gamer who needs to get stuck before exploring for answers, but then again it's also the game's fault for giving me the answers too easily.

...That's one of the things. Another is Midna... Tatl's character changes over the course of Majora's Mask, yes, and having a character who does that isn't a bad thing at all, but sometimes it's appreciated that she stays out of the way... Midna's okay but still, feeling totally alone makes the exploration of a game work out a bit better sometimes. Possibly why my best memories of exploring EarthBound in my first playthrough are of Twoson, before meeting up with Paula. I'll spare you and stop there.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »
I too tossed the 3D Zeldas around in my thoughts and figured out the best one: Okami                                             

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2008, 08:16:19 PM »
I too tossed the 3D Zeldas around in my thoughts and figured out the best one: Okami                                             
I wouldn't say it's my favorite overall, but off all the Zelda games (2D & 3D) it's definitely in my top five.  Of the 3D games it probably gets 2nd place.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 01:16:11 AM »
I dunno. Twilight Princess...  It just... the whole game dragged on, for me. Normally, I say the longer a game is, the better. But its story was just so hackneyed and cliched, I was like "What the hell am I even supposed to do?" I absolutely could not get into it. Nintendo needs to stop vomiting out this same rubbish, their favorite recycled plot of "OH NO THE DARK WORLD IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE LIGHT WORLD."

Not to mention the music was GOD AWFUL. In today's day and age, a game like that without any orchestrated music is an absolute crime. Normally, midi is fine, but even so, most of the songs themselves were uninspired and quite forgetable. The only one piece in the entire game I can actually remember after two playthroughs is the Hyrule Field main theme. And this is coming from a game music coinoisseur who can basically recognize any music from any game on the spot.

See, I'm not comparing it to Ocarina of Time either cause frankly, I didn't think that game was really as good as people think it is either. Really, it was the flow of the game that did it in, for me. It's just like... there was no real initiative to keep me playing like other games have. Some games, its the story, some games are just fun to play, but this one just... eh. I actually didn't beat it until almost a year after buying it simply because I picked it out of my shelf and forced myself to beat it.

Just for comparison purposes, my favorite Zelda game was Wind Waker. Favorite game ever is Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, and then Super Mario Galaxy as a close second.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2008, 01:20:05 AM »
I was going to post about how you're wrong, but I figured, what's the point?
Anyway it has a lot of good music and I know why they didn't feel like they could do orchestrated music and you don't.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 01:30:55 AM »
I forgot to mention, it suffers from a bad case of useless item syndrome. The whole game falls into that trap of "New dungeon, new item, now it's useless." Though I guess most Zelda games do that.

And I dunno why you're telling me I'm wrong. I'm not arguing that it's a bad game. I just said I don't like it as much as I thought I would have. Then again, I'm not really much of a Zelda fan anyway. Oh well. I'm gonna sell it.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 08:38:43 AM »
A person sent in a letter that got printed that said this in it:

Why do you show blatent fanboyism of the Zelda games all the time?
(or something like that)

Answer:

Because its the best game series ever.
(same)

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »
I'm familiar with Nintendo avoiding questions and acting cheesy in their answers, so I'm not surprised by that response.

But they seemed to care in the early days. They would include interesting articles such as how games are made, how games should objectively be judged (don't blindly buy on brand alone, look at reviews, rent them, give obscure games a chance (there was once an article dedicated to obscure great games), what matters most is whether it's fun to you, etc.), and even a look at Japanese games that didn't make it to America - Mother 1 being one of them. But I also recall seeing a few letters printed that criticized Nintendo and games. Like complaining about the comics Nintendo included, or saying that the graphics for Star Fox for SNES are terrible and that they should wait for the SuperFX chip to mature or go to a new system before attempting 3D again. Nevermind that Nintendo didn't respond to those particular letters. Though they did print a lone letter from someone defending the comics.

In perspective, though, as a kid I would have found the articles on behind-the-scenes games and game philosophy to be boring, and I remember not caring for the comics save for the Star Fox one. As an adult, they're amazing. Amazing to see them talk about the SNES and N64 before they came out, how the SNES audio worked, offering people to create their own paper Arwing, arguing against holding out for games (basically that if you wait for the next console, expecting more fun, you're going to miss out on a lot of great games now), debunking the Sega Blast Processing rumor by saying it's a marketing term for good programming practices, and warning fans ahead of time that the Super Mario Bros. movie would be a LOT different than the games. I don't think Nintendo was entirely enthusiastic when talking about it, so at least that combined with talking about the differences tells me that Nintendo used to be honest.

There was also one time that when Nintendo offered the next topic for people to send letters on, to be displayed in a future magazine (they did that every issue, show letters on a certain topic, then display the next topic), the topic was to discuss games you had high hopes for but turned out to be terrible. Why was the game terrible, what did you want to see to make it more enjoyable for you. I don't recall what the answers were, I'll have to find them sometime, but it warms my heart to think they used to be more in touch with gamers.

Maybe I'm an old Nintendo fogey, but there's such a big difference between the Nintendo Power magazines of old and the new ones it's just embarrassing. I want my Power Player cards, dagnabbit!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:03:10 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »
Well, like I said, I'm not too keen on them either now. However, as they're not owned by Nintendo anymore, it's acceptable for them to actually mention Conker's Bad Fud Day and openly discuss how good certain PS2  games.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »
I dunno. I didnt renew my subscription. I'm sick and tired of the gross amount of incredible ultra fanboy nerdiness. Yes I'm aware it's a video game magazine, but seriously, when I see a constant stream of people sending in their crummy cosplay pictures and Nintendo Power constantly saying "hurrrrr niec jobz dude u look 2 kawaiiii', I just can't take it anymore. (Not to mention, mothers, stop sending in pictures of the cakes you build for your 12 year olds. They're not as cool looking as you think.) I miss the old Nintendo Power before games became insanely mainstream, where all they did was post maps and comics and stuff. Sure, you can get it all online now, but still... maybe it's just time for the magazine to go the way of the typewriter.
= = = = = = =

Print