Print

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 70783 times)

« Reply #270 on: May 06, 2005, 09:22:13 PM »
*eyeballs pop* Oh man... I can't believe how awesome that is.  I'm so happy for you Watoad.  And glad that you could experience that.  I can't find the words to express the impact that had on me.  Everyone needs to read this (and that's why I'm bumping this :) ).

Watoad is the one!  The one and only!

"Do you got a mullet goin’ on?"
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #271 on: May 07, 2005, 12:29:59 AM »
Me: Catholic.
Some friends: Prodistent which is sort of the same, but one of them doesn't like it.
Some other friends: Mormon. I have nothing against them.
Some cousins: Jewish. Once again, It doesn't bother me.
Other people: don't even have a religion at all. It's their call. I am 100% against any form of predjudice. Predjudice isn't a religion, it's just when people don't like another race or religion, which is wrong.
"Silly Rabbi. Kicks are for trids!"

A bird can fly… But a fly can’t bird!!! –Bird Person<(^v^)>
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #272 on: May 08, 2005, 09:32:26 PM »
I've said this a number of times before on this board, but I'm Catholic too.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #273 on: May 08, 2005, 09:44:12 PM »
i'm also catholic...& lovin' it! :-P

jay-jay & yoshi: sisters in Christ & best friends forever! cuz sisters who sing together, stay together!
ducky go down de hole!

« Reply #274 on: May 09, 2005, 12:44:02 AM »
I come from a Catholic family, but I consider myself to not be religious at all.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #275 on: May 09, 2005, 08:36:48 PM »
Wow. I just read my posts from 2 years ago here. I still can't believe in God, although I'm not the pessimist I once was. I'm still ever-leary about most things, but I think the biggest factor to that is the fact that I'm graduating from high school in less than a month, and I'll be out of an environment that is the polar opposite of my personality. Watoad's reading was quite interesting. I can see the reasoning behind the emotions... but I can't see it happening to me...

While religion can be a good thing, I'm really quite sick of people who use it to justify their closed-minded bigotry. "Oh, I'm right because GOD told me I'm right!"

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #276 on: May 10, 2005, 12:04:42 AM »
As always, sorry for the little delay there. A bit more than usual has been going on in my life, but I absolutely must find time for you good people sooner or later. ;)

> It's an amazingly powerful experience, I'm sure. It's something I can only hope more people are able to experience, be it through your aid, or another's.

Yes, it was indeed an amazingly powerful experience. But just like any other experience, it becomes memory and then fades over time. Some of the details that I recorded I might already be unable to recall without the aid of what I wrote. The experience was more profound than any other I've ever had, but it was still just an experience.

What's ultimately important about it is what God told me. The message that He gave me will always be the same, experience or not, and it applies equally to those who have had such experiences as it does to those who haven't. God can use anything to work in someone's heart and change it, even just words on a page. He gave me what I needed when I needed it, and the understanding that He's given me has changed my life forever&mdash;and He will be the One making sure that the change is permanent, not I.

> Also, at some point in your story, it sounded as though you were 'Speaking in Tongues', a gift of the Holy Spirit. My knowledge of this is rather limited, but being granted that gift is a high honor.

Yeah, that's probably what it was. Speaking or praying in tongues is and I think always will be a mystery to me, like God Himself is. But it is a gift that He gives to His children, a gift that at least some of them can use to praise Him. It is always for His honor, though, and never for ours.

> I think what God told you is true for all of us...unless you're, like, the one or something.

Yes, it is very much for all of us! God loves and longs for you, Markio, equally as much as He does for me. He is not a jealous God, and He simply doesn't give in to favoritism. Moreover, there is nothing at all special about me as compared to other people. The only good in me, the only worth I have whatsoever, is what I have in Christ. He has already done everything for me; I can't add even one thing to what He has done.

> I can't find the words to express the impact that had on me.

I'm very grateful that God would use my words to speak to you. There is nothing that I can do or say that would help you, but God can use me when He wants to. I'm ever so grateful when He does.

> Watoad is the one! The one and only!

All I can say to this is, I'm just so glad it isn't true. Thank you for the compliment, but I think it's clear that I didn't do anything here. It was all God. 100%. And it always will be. (And that isn't true simply because I say it is.)

> but I can't see it happening to me...

Neither could I. If you had told me, say, a month ago, that God was going to talk to me like that, then I would have told you that you could go fishing in dried up lake and catch a shiny golden platter with fresh fish &rsquo;n&rsquo; chips sitting on it. I thought visions and stuff were for old dudes in the Bible! But something that would happen to me? Not a chance.

> . . . I'm really quite sick of people who use it to justify their closed-minded bigotry. "Oh, I'm right because GOD told me I'm right!"

Yeah, isn't that just terrible? It's sad what pride can do to people. The really sad part, though, is that those people made me upset when I was one of them. Even if I never said something like that quote (which I can't remember), that was how I lived for the longest time. I mean, I bet you could even find a post of mine in this very thread that has that attitude written all over it, or at least between some of the lines. It pervaded me.

And to some extent, it still does. God is changing me, but I still find myself thinking arrogant things every single day. And all they ever do is destroy me and hurt others, like that quote you posted. I'm just grateful that God has allowed me to see how destructive that kind of thinking is, even if only after many years of hurting myself and others. As for those who don't realize this and go around proclaiming their self-righteousness, they might do well to consider the following:

Some of the greatest strength can be found in realizing how little of it you actually have.

"He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep for the sake of what he can never lose."

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #277 on: May 10, 2005, 08:58:17 AM »
*pounds fist on table* Amen!  By the way, I was just kidding about that "one and only" thing.  I know that God gets all the glory for this, but it was still great of you to tell us about it.

Edited by - Yoshisaurus Rex on 5/10/2005 7:59:32 AM
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2005, 06:46:43 PM »
I'm Roman Catholic, but I'm not a terribly religious person.

Random Manga Quote:
"You''re in love with her, but you''re too scared to deal with it...So you walk around like you got a permanet chip on your shoulder?"--Kensuke Yura. Girl Got Game volume 8 chapter 1.
Random Anime Quote: "Wiggle, Squiggle! Look, I'm a mollusk!"
--Freesia Yagyu, Jubei-Chan 2 episode 3.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2005, 11:26:02 PM »
Those italics made me smile, especially when you quoted a place where I already had an italic so you made it normal in the quote.  I think I need to go to sleep; I mean, I'm getting in high spirits because of fonts!  Which reminds me of a word my mother taught me that I can blame all my problems on: "mal-adjusted".

...Wow, I just woke up.  From myself, though.  Er... OK, can you guys, like, pretend I never said anything? I need sleep...

If your day is bad, a nice comment at night can change everything.

Edited by - Markio on 5/12/2005 10:26:27 PM
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2005, 02:25:25 PM »
Oh, I just thought of something.  Watoad, if you get any more visions are you going to tell us about those too?  I hope so!

« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2007, 08:59:50 PM »
I've recently been going through some spiritual issues. I disowned my parents religion then begain to research into others that I could convert to. Today I consider myself a syncretist, my beliefs being a mixture of Hinduism, Buddhism, Baha'i and Shintoism. So I'm curious to know what religion you follow.

« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2007, 10:03:28 PM »
Christianity.

I think I've been a jerk to everyone and their religion. When pt_peach came here, I threw mine up in her face, and then a while later, I used my religion to fight with everyone else in the belief topic.

I'm sorry, guys.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 10:08:30 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #283 on: January 29, 2007, 12:28:18 AM »
Good work PaperLuigi-- that's just the kind of apology that helps to dissolve some of the arrogance that some may stick onto Christianity. Speaking of which, I am a Christian (with no denomination).

I'd like to say that I have never had any problems accepting the religions of others, but my background knowledge of certain religions makes me uncomfortable with them [the RELIGIONS, Sapph].

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #284 on: January 29, 2007, 12:39:35 AM »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Print