Poll

What are your most favorite power-ups?

Super Mushroom (SMB)
9 (4%)
Fire Flower (SMB)
21 (9.3%)
Starman (SMB)
20 (8.9%)
Super Leaf (Also counts as the P-Wing) (SMB3)
14 (6.2%)
Tanooki Suit (SMB3)
16 (7.1%)
Frog Suit (SMB3)
9 (4%)
Hammer Bros. Suit (SMB3)
21 (9.3%)
Kuribo's Shoe (SMB3)
13 (5.8%)
Cape Feather (SMW)
22 (9.8%)
P-Balloon (SMW)
2 (0.9%)
Wing Cap (SM64)
13 (5.8%)
Metal Cap (SM64)
15 (6.7%)
Vanish Cap (SM64)
3 (1.3%)
Mega Mushroom (NSMB)
9 (4%)
Mini Mushroom (GBDK)
6 (2.7%)
Blue Shell (NSMB)
6 (2.7%)
Super Flower (SML)
1 (0.4%)
Carrot (SML2)
1 (0.4%)
Yoshi's Wings (SMW)
5 (2.2%)
Power Flower (SM64DS)
3 (1.3%)
Bee Mushroom (SMG)
5 (2.2%)
Boo Mushroom (SMG)
3 (1.3%)
Ice Flower (SMG)
1 (0.4%)
Spring Mushroom (SMG)
0 (0%)
Rainbow Star (SMG)
4 (1.8%)
Red Star (SMG)
3 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Print

Author Topic: Your favorite Power-Ups in various Mario games  (Read 17014 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »
I don't.
That was a joke.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Pfft. That thing is seriously flawed. For goodness sake. A Shy Guy is not a power-up.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2008, 08:58:25 PM »
The Shy Guy is a "power-down".  I think one of the goals of the image I posted was to use as many Mario power-ups as possible on a single page. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Hacker Pikachu 25

• Technicolor nightmare
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2008, 06:16:24 PM »
Mega Mushroom (NSMB)
Breakin' st00f rocks!

Starman (SMB)
Im invincibul. U cant hurt meh.

Super Mushroom (NSMB)
Exta hit needed to kill you.

Power Flower (SM64DS)
Variety.

1-up Mushroom
Obvious.
Klonoa is the best game I've played YET!!!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »
Red Star is the best flying power-up. It's a 3-D P-Wing. If only it had actually been used.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2008, 03:52:54 PM »
My favorite power ups are:
Racoon Leaf: the first time Mario could fly, also the tail whip attack was awesome

Super Mushroom: a classic ability Mario has had in just about every game

Fire Flower: shooting fireballs from the palms of your hands never gets old! (the Super Flower from Super Mario Land is pretty much the same thing as the Fire Flower)

Starman/Invincibility Star/Rainbow Star (Mario Galaxy): "Do do do, do do do, dodododo, do do do, do do do, dodododo" (the Metal Cap is pretty much the same thing as the Starman)

Dragon Hat (Wario Land): a fire-breathing Wario makes for some toasty fun!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
Well...

The Tanooki suit was always my favorite. Being able to turn into mario 40 years later.... it made me laugh. It was also a good means of defense (being able to turn into stone and have enemies pass you).
The hammer bros. suit was one-of-a-kind! It was never in any other mario game,m and it was fun being able to throw hammers. I'm also trying to recreate this in SMW.
The Cape... yes, the cape. Revolutionizing powerups, It was AWESOME being able to skip whole levels, and flipping over enemies, and reaching higher places.
And... everyone's favorite powerup: The Mega Mushroom! Getting enormously huge, and TERRORIZING a whole level, even knocking over the flag pole!!
The Boo powerup was cool too. You turned into a boo (obviously) and floated over stuff. The face of the boo was priceless. I broke into laughter when i saw it! :D
Neko = A hot anime chick that's half cat and half human. (SEXY!)

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
I got into Mario around the "Super Mario Advance 2" age, but had his influence since Super Mario 64.

My Top 5:

1. Cape Feather- How does a feather turn to a cape? And also, how does a leaf turn you into a raccoon? I don't know, but the Cape will forevermore (To me) be the number 1 power-up. Overused a little, but still, the spin attack coupled with the new jumping spinning attack made the cape awesome.

2. Tanooki Suit- The Tanooki suit. I first played SMB3 as SMA4, but it still was awesome. I was still used to using the cape from SMA2, but when I first saw the Tanooki suit, I thought I would turn to a bear. But, a full on raccoon. Then, to consult my SMA4 Walkthrough handbook:

"Press Down+B to turn into a statue."

Pure delight.

3. Starman- Oh. The ultimate power. I remember, I first played SMB in 2004, and boy, did it play. Run for your life. And the joy of getting 1-ups, almost impossible in SMB (Unless you know their secret hideouts).

Too bad it ran out fast. Overused, the starman has slunk to the bottoms of the charts, just like our poor fire flower, which Nintendo keeps resurrecting just for fan enjoyment. No one ever uses those!

What's with all the Starman storylines though?

4. Yoshi Wings- Yoshi, if only he was on the list, he would be an absolute pick. Yoshi became the most important character in the series, (Besides Mario, of course) and Nintendo only made it better by giving him wings.

Ever tried jumping off a Yoshi when he has wings?

5. Mini Mushroom- Yeah, the giant thing got old for NSMB. But as we got better at the new gaming style of the game, we realized pretty much all the other powerups sucked, including the rare shell-up, which was wholly uncontrollable. Running on water was probably the most useful feature of the Mini 'Shroom. Being able to slowly float down and get a larger bounce off enemies was helpful, though.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »
Starman is not the same as Power Star.
That was a joke.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:20 AM »
...just like our poor fire flower, which Nintendo keeps resurrecting just for fan enjoyment. No one ever uses those!
What do you mean no one ever uses those? I actually go out of my way to get a Fire Flower over something else! (Blue Shell, Raccoon Leaf, etc)
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »
1-up Mushroom
Obvious.
The 1-up mushroom isn't on the poll. It does not follow the rule of changing Mario/Luigi's appearance.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »
Thank you for allowing the retraction of votes.  Here's my tentative five:
Tanooki Suit
Flying; statue power; looks cool--even the king agrees...
Frog Suit
Secrets... Oh, and the king has something to say about this one, too...
Kuribo's Shoe
Rare!  Powerful!  Indestructible (bottom side only)!
Blue Shell
This item's drawback is what makes it fun.
Bee Suit
Mostly for looks and originality... And the buzzing.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2008, 02:13:52 AM »
The five I picked, in order from most favorite to favorite:

1. Kuribo's Shoe - Looks cool, love the loose hopping feeling, I can destroy anything, Nippers and Munchers don't bother me.

2. Hammer Bros. Suit - It's like the ultimate Mario powerup. The Hammer Bros were always intimidating to me, so the chance to have their powers was awesome. Fitting that the suit was so rare too.

3. Yoshi Wings - Yoshies are cool. A flying Yoshi, essentially a P-Winged Yoshi... bliss. Only thing I didn't like was that it always sent Yoshi up into the clouds, that I could never fly through a normal stage. Unless I used a Blue Yoshi and there was a steady stream of Koopas about, but I don't know if that's the Yoshi Wings we're talking about.

4. Carrot - Bunny Mario's my favorite-looking Mario type. The fact that it appeared in one game makes me cherish it that much more. But I admit in hindsight the power's pretty limited. Raccoon Mario was more useful than the Carrot ever was.

5. Cape Feather - I too was amazed when I flew in the air with the cape for the first time. And it wasn't long until I exploited it to breeze through SMW. Still, Mario with a cape... it's like an improved Raccoon Mario. But for the record, Raccoon Mario still looks better (love the raccoon ears).

Uh, I forgot about P-Wing... doh... should have replaced #5 with P-Wing. Raccoon Mario plus unlimited flying power. Hmm, my favorite powers either give me the ability to fly (some lesser than others), or the ability to kick major tail.

If we're including Wario Land powers, I'll add Jet Wario and Dragon Wario to my list. Jet Wario for that flying aspect and that he moves like lightning. Dragon Wario because the expression on the dragon hat looked cute for some reason. Just cool to have a stream of fire coming from Wario's head.
You didn't say wot wot.

Print