Print

Author Topic: Variable Endings  (Read 4162 times)

« on: June 26, 2011, 06:57:55 PM »
So I just finished replaying Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land.  I got (I think) the second best endings on both of them.  Realizing this, I hopped online to see not only what the best ending looked like, but also some of the hilariously bad endings too.  I want to see Luigi's tent, and Wario's birdhouse!  I was a little bummed to see that, as far as I could tell, there weren't any such image galleries on this site.  Anybody else think those type of galleries would make a cool addition to the site?

I love these endings, they're a cool incentive to keep playing or replay the game.  I really dig games that challenge you to dig up as much treasure as possible, and for some reason I really like a game ending with the hard-working protagonist earning a sweet new pad. How do you feel about this type of ending in general?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:00:52 PM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:25:20 PM »
I'm kinda surprised that there isn't an ending image gallery on the site already for games such as these.

I love endings like these, although I can see how kinda bland they could be too. "The hero has accomplished his goal. Whee."
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:36:28 PM »
There's the endings here for Super Mario Land 3, I'm not sure where the Luigi's Mansion pics would be though. Maybe we could add that sort of thing through the wiki?

And it provides nifty replay value for a lot of the games, like wanting to get all 120 Stars in SM64 to get on the roof. It could be pretty cool for some of the RPGs too. What I would like to see is a final final boss, where basically it gives you the normal final boss, then once you've accomplished everything else in the game, or met certain conditions, it unlocks the real final boss. Sort of like Doomsday Zone in Sonic 3, or Giga Bowser in SSBM. Then defeating that boss gives you the cool ending. :)
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
Metroid Zero Mission had a super-final boss too!  Mecha-Ridley ramps way up in difficulty if you have 100% items when you face him (I think... it's been a while).  The Metroid series in general is another great example of variable endings. 
Haters gonna hate

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »
Castlevania has had variable endings since Symphony of the Night. Any of Cave's two-loop shmups could be considered to have "variable endings." And don't forget Chrono Trigger, or a lot of multi-route games (most visual novels, many Taito arcade games, a lot of CRPGs, the Ogre series).

Print