Print

Author Topic: How I got to know Mario  (Read 5805 times)

« on: December 02, 2004, 04:55:08 PM »
I have started playing the games since I was 8 and I just got more into Mario. How did everyone get to know the games of Mario?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 09:42:13 PM »
At the age of 6, I played SMB2 and 3 at my cousin's house. Soon, I couldn't resist anything involving Mario, except for his tennis games.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 10:08:42 PM »
Hey, this is a great idea for a topic!  I wish I would have thought of it.

I first got hooked on Mario after one of my birthday parties (I think I was younger than 12 because I got my SNES then).  I was at Chuck E. Cheese's with my parents and grandparents and one of the presents I got was a "new" used NES from one of my friends that came with the games SMB/Duckhunt, Adventures of Link, Top Gun, and one of those little guns.  I loved that thing so much I must have played it all the time.  I played a little bit of Top Gun, and a little of Link (which I wish I would have played more of), a lot of Duck Hunt, and tons and tons of SMB!  I beat that game over and over again, warps and no warps, but never ever got sick of it.  Then, it borke unfortunately but I was lucky enough to get a SNES for my 12th like I said before that came bundled with Super Mario All-Stars + SMW.  I played that even longer and my parents decided that I should only play 30 minutes at a time and take 1 hour breaks so I didn't wreck my eyes or something.  Fast-forward to today with my 64 and GC and I'm still hooked on Mario.  I'm amazed at how every single game comes with so much challenge and fun (and N-ovation!).  I only wish I could get another NES and play the old classics again.  Mario, you will live forever in our hearts!

Your forum board has been infected by the YSR virus. Please send an error report now so we can point and laugh at you.
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 10:34:20 PM »
So go buy one for $3 somewhere.

I was first exposed to Mario in 1992 or 1993, I think, when I played SMAS SMB3 at my best friend's house. I may have had some exposure to NES SMB3 before that. Not sure.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 01:44:48 PM »
Back when I was about 2 years old, I was playing SMB 2-Player mode with my older brother.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 06:15:41 PM »
I really want to, Chup, but like I've said too many times at other threads my parents won't let me get any more VG systems until I move out of the house.  That makes me sick but it's probably for the best since I need to focus on my studies and THEN play a ton of Mario games.  I hope.

Oh hey, I used to play 2-player SMB with my brother when we were younger too!  It was so funny because I would always be Mario, my brother Luigi, and he would almost never get to play because I would survive through tons of levels and then when it was his turn he would usually die in the second or third level.  And sometimes I would hit the start button while he played and pause it over and over just to tick him off.  Man, those were days!  Oh, and ya know what's kind of cool?  I was born only one year after SMB first came out!  I think that's pretty neat. (I've got to stop dropping hints about my age)

Your forum board has been infected by the YSR virus. Please send an error report now so we can point and laugh at you.
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 08:19:57 AM »
I got to know mario by going to my aunt's house before I was old enough to go to pre-school.  At the time my aunt was baby sitting 7 kids in the morning, then by mid-day it would be 15.  My uncle Tom had an NES that he would let us play, my favorite game they had was SMB3.  I played it w/ 3 other neighborhood kids all the time, thier names were Danny/Adam(bros) and Denny.  Then one day Danny and Aam beet it,  It was a big acomplishment at our age.  Then one day my uncle got a letter from FUJI films,  he was offered a better job and they had to move to NC.  Now I make up for the hole in my heart by having my life revolve around mario.  I would haave done anything to stop that letter coming in the mail.*cries in real life*

this is the WAFFLE!  The emblem of our land! You can shove it in a bottle or hold it in your hand!
I only watch [adult swim]

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 10:01:25 AM »
My first "Mario" game I played was Donkey Kong then Mario Bros. at an arcade.  I fell in love with Mario games when we got our NES with Super Mario Bros.

The only Mario games I have ever played that I did not like were Mario Party 1 and 5.  (I didn't like the slow board game part or the random minigames.)  Mario Party 6 might be better to me since it appears to be faster and have more skill based minigames.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 10:27:01 AM »
Mario Party 6... I'm definitely getting that.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 10:29:31 AM »
When I was like 6 or 7, and my cousins were like about 8, I would go ove to their house. They'd play Mario and I would watch. It was so cool. I now realize it was an NES with SMB3. That, I think, was my first Mario experience.

____
In Ethiopia, people die from being to thin, in my country, people die from being to fat!
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 10:39:09 AM »
Thats why you should excercise and eat right!

this is the WAFFLE!  The emblem of our land! You can shove it in a bottle or hold it in your hand!
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 12:29:44 PM »
Hahaha!  Oh, I just remembered something.  When I was younger and played my NES a lot, a babysitter would come sometimes and she would watch me play and usually help me beat Bowser's castle because I stunk at it and could never beat any of them.  And speaking of Bowser's castle... I remember how I once made my own Bowser horns by taping two triangle-shaped pieces of cardboard to a rubberband, I tied it to my head, and then whenever I played Bowser's castle I would laugh and say in a deep voice, "Welcome to my Castle!"  Then my Mom saw me do that once and got all upset so I stopped.

Luigison: Do you like Mario is Missing too?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 01:15:29 PM »
"The only Mario games I have ever played that I did not like were..."

I never played Mario is Missing, Mario's Time Machine, Hotel Mario, or any of the CDi games.

One of my first and favorite video games was Popeye on Atari 5200.  Who made that game?

I really liked a game on the 5200 where you were a pengiun (sic) that pushed ice blocks.  What was its name?

My favorite early arcade game was Moon Patrol.

My all time favorite "game" is Super "Mario Allstars + Super Mario World" for the SNES.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 02:32:01 PM »
At the age of 5 or 6 I was playing crappy PC games with my dad. Devender, Onix, Demons, Larry and a weird castle game. I never played those games alone..

But right, Mario games. When I was 7 my sister Laura got a NES at her birthday in 1991, it included Mario bros/Duck hunt. Together with the Mario super show on TV (I never skipped a single episode..)I discovered Mario and Luigi. I always wished to be the princess coz everyone would have a hero like Mario. I was really infatuaded and obsessed by mario and I always drawed him being a butterfly, because I simply loved butterflies. I still have an old drawing somewere, I'll try to find it and scan it to show you!

At that moment I got addicted to Mario bros games. I wished to have Mario bros 2 either, but I never owned it. But in the same year at Christmas my sis and I got Mario bros 3, so we got even more addicted. I always liked Nintendo more than Sega or Atari. My cousin Ruben had an Atari wich was very screwed up, before my sis got NES. I also heard about Sega but it wasn't very interesting to me. Sonic could never beat Mario! The only times I played Sega was a Sonic demo game at Novotel, when I was going on vacation..

My family wasn't that rich to buy so many games for the NES my sis and I wanted to  play so bad. We often borrowed games or rent them. The most adventurous NES game we ever played was The adventures of Link. (kinda fell in-love with that guy too in my childhood..)

Close the World, Enter the Next
-Serial Experiments, LAIN-

Edited by - Sharpen on 12/5/2004 12:34:34 PM
Close the World, Open the Next
-Serial Experiments, LAIN-

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 12:14:09 AM »
Mario Kart 64. Me and my friend always tried to get Yoshi (He used to be my favouite character) because he was fast. Now, I choose Luigi, and I choose him in every single Mario game I have (exceptions- SM64 and SMW2)!

My favourite game is Super Smash Bros! I'm not the best, but I know my opponent's moves, and I always choose Luigi!!

QUIZ TIME!!

1. Do you like the Mario Brothers??
2. Do you like the Simpsons?

If you answered 'Yes' to both questions, you are a true legend..!
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Print