Print

Author Topic: "Why?" Sequels  (Read 19851 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 08:15:57 PM »
I dislike Disney's obsession with sequels. When they attempted a Toy Story 3, Pixar executives became enraged and took hold of the project so it wouldn't be just another cheap Disney sequel.
Enraged? Hardly.
Pixar wouldn't have had anything to do with Toy Story 3 had they not been bought by Disney. I guess I remember something about them having a partnership arranged before that, but still.

And all the Disney sequels are a case of "hey... we ran out of ideas. Let's make a sequel to every movie we've ever made!!1 Because we aren't already getting enough money I guess"
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 09:06:44 PM »
CoTBP or DMC... I love both to death, but it's the principle of sequels... even if the sequel is as good as the original, the original will be better because the contents of the sequel aren't as new. But again, I love DMC to death. And only 10 months till the second sequel, from which we can expect more cinematic gold.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 09:15:48 PM »
I too have often wondered who decides to make so many sequels, not just to movies, but to everything.

Sometimes, they work out. I liked "Toy Story 2" and "Santa Clause 2". Whoever mentioned Disney sequels, though, probably nailed it head on. I've never watched the sequels and have no intention of doing so. For one thing, some of the Disney movies (Cinderella, for example) were based on fairy tales that existed for centuries before the actual movie. Another thing is that when they attempt to remake an older one, the voice actors have either retired or died, and most of the animators are gone as well. I don't know if they've attempted a sequel to "Pinnochio" but if they do I'll be upset, as it is one of my favorite movies of all time and everyone who worked on it circa 1940 is now dead, including Cliff Edwards (the guy who voiced Jiminy Cricket). When I saw a TV promo for another movie sequel, "Little Mermaid 2" (keep in mind I know and love the original--I saw it back in 1989 in the THEATER when it came out!) I was dumbfounded. How could you take an adapted fairy tale that already had a different ending than the original (Ariel dies in the real tale, I read it once) and then come up with a new plot that is nowhere near what the old guys from Europe did back in the day?

I can't say much about the Bat Man, Spider Man, and Super Man sequels you guys talk about. Aside from a few random episodes of Bat Man, I haven't seen any of this stuff really. I preferred to play baseball or soccer on Saturday mornings when I was little, so I didn't really know about or watch most of this stuff. I got educated in this stuff in kindergarten only after a lot of teasing--but hey, I could hit a ball further than the rest of them, so it was just what I liked, I guess. People I know who watch that sort of film have said the sequels are never as good as the first ones. I take their word for it, too.

The biggest sequel in theaters now is "Pirates of the Carribean". I heard the second one isn't as good as the first one, which I happened to really like, but I'm hesitant about the new one. I'm waiting for the DVD.

Then there are other things that get sequels. Books, for example. When I was a little kid, one of my favorite books was "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator". After I had read it in kindergarten, my teacher told me that I should read the one that came before it too. There is an example of a sequel so good that you don't even need to read the first book to understand it.

Usually books are good if you have several sequels to them, but this is often intentional. I write, and I am already writing a sequel to my first novel. I think books work out better than movies most of the time as far as sequels go.

Then there are video games. Most of you folks on this board know a lot about them. Of the games I've played (the list is short, trust me) I know there are some sequels. For example, Super Mario 64, I think, has a sequel of sorts on the Game Cube. I saw it on display once but it looked pretty hard--you had to shoot some hose at the people. I can barely handle one control stick, let alone two! And the Mario Kart game for the Nintendo 64 had its sequel, Double Dash, on the Game Cube. I find the sequel to have more stuff in it, but I find it about ten times harder! I joined this board to try to beat the game, since I've had it almost three years now and I still have a lot of stuff left to go (at least I think I do). Of the other games I have, there are sequels to every one of them that aren't really sequels at all, but just updates. Other than Mario 64 and the Mario Kart games I have several different years worth of Madden and various baseball games (Triple Play, All Star, and MLB, depending on which one they decided to make that year).

Finally, there's TV. I don't know how many Big Brothers we've had now, or how many Survivors, but I think reality shows are so 2000 anyway. I'm more into talent shows like "America's Got Talent" or "American Idol" right now, and I've always liked game shows unless they're really lousy. And there aren't very many good sit-coms on either. I sure miss the days of "Fraiser" and "Everybody Loves Raymond", though "Two and a Half Men" is usually pretty good. Anyway, I'm ranting here. From the folks I know who do like reality TV and watch the numbered Big Brothers and Amazing Races and whatnot they say the sequels are usually as good as the original and they often add new twists.

I've come to the following conclusions about sequels:

1. Movie sequels are hit or miss. Often they work. Sometimes they don't.

2. Book sequels are generally good, but usually happen in a series.

3. Video game sequels just get too hard anymore. Game Cube is definitely my last video game computer, since I find it almost too hard! Nintendo 64 was easier! I'm only going to be 20 this year so I don't think it's my reflexes slowing down or something (and if it was, I probably would have had a horrible season in baseball last spring and I most certainly did not!)

4. TV sequels don't happen much but are usually okay.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 09:22:23 PM »
The biggest sequel in theaters now is "Pirates of the Carribean". I heard the second one isn't as good as the first one, which I happened to really like, but I'm hesitant about the new one. I'm waiting for the DVD.
Critics, schmriticts. The movie owned. If you do go and see it and regret it, I'm sorry... but gosh, I've seen it four times.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 09:25:34 PM »
I prefer the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.  The second one had ongoing action that remained entertaining the whole way through, but it seemed to me to be the "same old thing".  Jack Sparrow didn't really have much variety in how he acted.  And I didn't really like the sea mutant people, that was just weird-looking compared to the curse in the first movie.  And when the native tribe starts chasing a dog, I thought, "That's it, if they're going after a dog, I'm not watching this".  But I did watch it, because I don't think the dog ever got harmed.  The natives scenes were a nice innovation from the preceding movie.

And then you have the Harry Potter movies.  These are good as sequels because they aren't really sequels.  I like the third one the best so far, as it handled exposition well compared to the other movies, where they insist on saying out loud, "Wow, things are magic!".  Shouldn't they be used to magic by now?  The only thing that really keeps the movies together are the characters and setting.  The plot is basically the same, where Evil is present and the main characters must fight for Good, but it nevertheless remains innovative in each movie. At least more innovative than most sequel movies...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 07:22:02 AM »
I just saw The Sandlot 2. That was really pointless. It was the same plot with different characters...it really looked like a remake. There's mine.

I agree. The movie is like a remake and the acting, well, it isn't all that great. Same plot, and I think the girls ruined it.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 07:43:30 AM »
The original Sandlot movie rules.But we need videogame sequels because imagine how many fanboys around the world would commit suicide if we didnt have a sequels to a favorite game?
Que dios the Bendiga Eddie Guerrerro.
May God Bless you Eddie Guerrero.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 11:55:42 AM »
NOOOO! I hate games that are based on TV shows or movies!!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 08:03:48 PM »
Migosh, and The Mighty Ducks 3 wasn't as good as the first one (because the first one rocks) and it wasn't as good as the second one.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 09:15:12 PM »
I think that Wayne's World 2 was just as good as the first.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 11:11:14 PM »
I think that Austin Powers: Goldmember was actually better than the first two.
I guess Mike Meyers is just good at making sequels.
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 11:40:17 PM »
You know what sequel I hate? the second sequel to stuart little. I mean (not that i watched it) but It was pointless. it was done in computer graphics. And I always ask myself "Why didn't the original actors came and made it real life?" Mabye cause they hated the series.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 11:40:43 PM »
I have to agree about Mighty Ducks. I loved the first one. The others all went downhill.

I've never seen the second Wayne's World, but the first one was pretty funny. I've also never seen Home Alone 2, but I love the first one and I wonder how they could improve on it at all--it's got to be one of my all time favorite movies. In fact, I watch Home Alone every Thanksgiving--it's a tradition I've done since 1993. And the years I wasn't able to watch it, I had really awful Christmases. Coincidence? I don't know, but then again I'm a ballplayer and every ballplayer has superstitions.

And to the post about video game sequels--I would have enjoyed another Super Mario 64, but the one that came out for Game Cube looked way too difficult in the stores! Also, the new Mario Kart is so much harder than the Nintendo 64 version! I only enjoy the sequels if they're the same difficulty level, although the new Mario Kart has grown on me (even though I'm not very good at it).

I'm not really sure what a "fanboy" is, but I'm guessing it's someone obsessed with a video game. The suicide thing was true. There were a group of about five guys who skipped school during my senior year to get some game called Halo II or something. They acted like if they didn't have this game the world would end. So my friend and I sort of made up this "alliance against Halo" because these guys were consumed with it and even interrupted my economics class to obsess about it. We didn't make ourselves known to them as being "anti-Halo" but they could tell that she and I were very annoyed by everything.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not anti-video games. I enjoy an occasional game, usually sports or Mario Kart (or Mario 64, although after nine years I have 120 stars). But to have people so crazy about it that they would skip school? (Then again, I am an education major so I was always obsessed about being in class--I went all of middle and high school with perfect attendance, and the friend who helped me form the alliance got over a 4.0 as a freshman, so she also values education greatly).

Just my two cents. If you are one of these Halo fans (although I don't think it's a Game Cube game?) don't hate me. Wasn't Halo II for the "X" Box 630 or something? (I do know it's a game where you mindlessly shoot things; I looked it up on Amazon during the time the kids were so hyped about it. It didn't look fun like Super Mario 64.)

But that's just a good example to illustrate how those "fanboys" talked about by a previous poster react.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2006, 11:55:30 PM »
I feel your pain man, i think that Halo is a bad spinoff of samus. Am i right?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 12:09:54 AM »
How could you possibly think Super Mario Sunshine "looked" "too difficult"?
You get good at games by playing them. End of story.
That was a joke.

Print