Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island PIRATE MODE  (Read 5847 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: April 11, 2003, 11:10:47 PM »
My cart with a Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island label in Japanese is actually the English version that was pirated before the release date in the US.  After the GameBoy Nintendo splash screen it goes to a screen with the following scrolling across the top.

"ENJOY THIS MAJOR 1 WEEK AHEAD OF RETAIL AND A BIG F*** YOU TO THE ENTIRE SCENE.  OUR RESPECTS TO THE HARDCORE M7 MEMBERS AND THE REAL GROUPS FROM THE 16-BIT GLORY DAYS.  THAT'S ALL FOR NOW.  SEE YOU IN THE NEXT? -END"

(note, I edited the F-word.  It also has the following bouncing back and fourth in the middle.

"MODE 7 PRESENT"
"YOSHI'S ISLAND"
"(C) NINTENDO"

"DEEP HATRED..."

Also a big orange star is in the bottom left corner of the screen with a thick red line across the bottom and M7 in red on the bottom right.

I know that "mode 7" is the effect on SNES and GBA games that makes flat images look 3d, but here it appears to be a hacker/pirating group.

I bought the cartridge a long time ago on ebay.  Has anyone else seen anything like this before?

------------------------------------------------------------

Super Mario 128:

"I believe that with this game you''ll be able to feel the "newness" that was missing from Mario Sunshine."

- Shigeru Miyamoto

Edited by - Luigison on 4/12/2003 8:32:50 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 11:53:08 PM »
I think I have a ROM dumped by Mode 7. Weird.

You can be silent and let the world think you are a fool, or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 08:23:41 PM »
Upon closer inspection of the cart. I found that it is slightly lighter grey (I always liked gray with an 'e' better) than the other GBA games I have.  (We call it GBA, but the model numbers say AGB?)

Also, looking into the edge of it at the contacts reveals that there is no writing on the circuit board.  All the other carts have "2001 Nintendo" plus model numbers on them.

Further, the sticker looks faded and a little out of focus because the colors don't line up.

Finally the screw on the back has visable tweaking as if it were overtightened.

So it is definitly a fake, but other than the opening screen I mentioned in the first post the game itself appears just like the official version I play at Funcoland.  So, m7 must have access to the games prior to release.  Maybe they have someone in production.

I got the game a long time ago on Ebay.  Maybe even before the release date.  It came with instructions, all the paper work, and the box, which was flat and had never been expanded.

I wonder how many of these "mode 7" made.  I also wonder who they are.  They might have connections to the official production of the games.  They may even make carts that have a lot of games together like the old famicom 32 in 1 Ultra Mario cart I had.  I also had a guy, from Hong Kong I think, try to sell me several GBA multi carts, but I decided against it as buying the games seperately from Nintendo would better support them in making the type of games I like.  Anyway, there is a picture of the games he tried to sell me at http://www.geocities.com/dennisshows/Img_0042.jpg

Super Mario 128:

"I believe that with this game you''ll be able to feel the "newness" that was missing from Mario Sunshine."

- Shigeru Miyamoto
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2003, 08:30:00 PM »
AGB stands for Advanced Game Boy, which is what the industry, or something, has always called it, and it's sort of the same deal as the GCN model numbers saying DOL for Dolphin.

And I'm sure the actual game code in your cart is intact, but they just added the little "intro" screen. I wonder who these jokers are...

You can be silent and let the world think you are a fool, or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2003, 08:41:42 PM »
I want a pirated Mario cart so badly! The closest I ever came was the time I spilled Mountain Dew all over my tetris Attack cartridge and when I put it back in my SNES, I got this "Copying games is illegal" message. A bit odd, actually. It works fine now.

But still, I want a pirated Mario cart. Then, I could brag about it to everyone and tell them how cheesy it is. Heh.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2003, 08:50:22 PM »
What, like the SNES couldn't read the cart so it thought it was a copy? Heh.

That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2003, 09:28:01 PM »
I.S.

If that is true, it is the strangest video game thing I have every heard.  I will have to look at the rom sometime.  I tried to use an N64 gameboy color player once and got strange words and images, but nothing like that.  You sure you didn't eat to many mushrooms witht that Dew?

Super Mario 128:

- Shigeru Miyamoto

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2003, 09:48:09 PM »
I'm betting that the message was in the SNES system ROM rather than the TA ROM.

That was a joke.

Print