Print

Author Topic: Mother 3 Fan Translation Finished!  (Read 10796 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: September 28, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »
From the dedicated folks of the Starmen team, the long-awaited Mother 3 fan translation has been thoroughly, well, translated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgbI8FK63xU

There's a few months of testing left before it's 100% ready to actually play, though.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »
It's my job to start this thread. When it's really done--ready to be played.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:48:46 AM »
It's my job to start this thread.
I, for one, am offended by this comment.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:45:12 AM »
Ya, your not the only Earthbound fan here, BP.

EDIT:To avoid controversy I am not an Earthbound fan
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 07:20:59 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 10:57:50 AM »
No fighting, now. The important thing is... the translation is finished! Woo! I remember hopping onto the fan translation site when I decided to give Mother 3 a go and saw that there were only a couple more things to sort out. Hope their testing goes well. I saw a webpage review that basically compared Mother 3 to a religious experience (not really, but it praised the game as perfect in every possible way), and it warned that an English translation would not be as perfect as the meticulously-crafted Japanese dialogue. That it would inevitably lose some of its power in the process.

Well forget that, I can't wait for the English version to come through, otherwise I wouldn't have much of a clue what was going on.

I played through and completed Mother 3 (using English guides along the way), playing it hour after hour after hour. My opinion is that it's a great Mother game, noticeably different from Mother 2 in several ways... but precisely because it's different from Mother 2, it's hard for me to shake that feeling that it's just missing something without Ness and company. I guess it's that thing where you'll either appreciate the new direction that Mother 3 goes in, or prefer the old ways of Mother 2. My only real complaint about Mother 3 is that the monsters don't seem quite imaginative enough. In Mother 2 we got demented speed limit signs and cranky old ladies and the dreaded Kiss of Death (and its stronger cousin, the French Kiss of Death). While there are a few gems in Mother 3's bestiary, many of them are just animal hybrids that don't seem as interesting as I thought they would be.

One new thing in Mother 3 I did really like, however, was that if you approached an enemy from behind so you got the advantage, you'll see a picture of the enemy turned around in battle. In your menus there's an option to look at every enemy you've encountered, and that includes whether you've seen their front or backsides. So if you're the sort that wants 100% completion, you may want to see the backsides of enemies so those graphics are filled in in the bestiary collection. It adds variety and it's a nice visual reminder that the enemy can't see you.

If you're interested in seeing that webpage review, it's here. There may not be any spoilers, but there's a deep discussion on gameplay mechanics and how the game will basically unfold. Another thing that was praised about the game is how you can play it in multiple ways and that there's always a strong push of progression. In other words, you're going to get through the game one way or another, it's a question of when and how hard you make it on yourself. Me, I just played it in the traditional Mother 2 way, grinding like crazy and buying all the Bottle Rockets I could. New areas were usually stumbling blocks since the enemies would be very hard at first, but I managed.

By the way, I never got the hang of getting combos by fighting enemies along to the beat of the music. It's not necessary to do that to win the game, but if you can do it, the game will be a lot easier for you (and you won't have to level grind as much). And yes, a lot of stuff that was in the N64 version of Mother 3 is in here. If you ever wanted to play the N64 game, this is it in 2D form.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 12:49:33 PM »
Hip hip hooray!

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »
Inside the present there was a anti-paralysis!

Lucas took the anti-paralysis!
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:51:51 PM »

You realize there are trannies in this, right? Flamboyant trannies.

I have no problem with it, but I'm sure a certain demographic stopped it from getting released in the first place.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 04:48:49 PM »
Not like Nintendo couldn't have altered it like they alter/ed everything anyway.
That was a joke.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »

You realize there are trannies in this, right? Flamboyant trannies.

I have no problem with it, but I'm sure a certain demographic stopped it from getting released in the first place.

Read "Birdo: Gender Pretender". Nintendo would have figured something out, if they even wanted to send it here in the first place.
No! I don't want that!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:59:02 PM »
The Magypsies are said to be neither men nor women, and not human altogether. They're just beings who live unimaginably long lives and look like scruffy old guys with long pink hair and clothes human females would wear. It's kind of amusing if you don't have problems with that kind of thing.

I feel the same as penguinwizard in many ways. I played through most of the game with zero help from guides, got stuck a couple of times where I just didn't know what to do next, and went through an English guide afterward to get an understanding of what who said when and where. It is a great game but EarthBound had a different feel to it I think I preferred. My favorite pair of enemies for names was the No Good Fly and the Mostly Bad Fly. Who knows--looking at comparisons between MOTHER 2 and EarthBound, the enemies' names were really spiced-up.

Anyway, I never meant to infuriate anyone with my thread-claiming. I was kind of joking.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »
That's okay, I kind of figured that (kind of).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 10:24:48 PM »
I never thought much of the "trannies", just accepted it as one of those weird things in the Mother universe. Just thought they were men in mermaid outfits. Oh, but let's not forget the devices underwater that you use to get more air... that's probably the most questionable thing I saw in the game.

That's the nice thing about the series, you can get away with some questionable or gross-out stuff (like in Mother 2 fighting against Master Barf, a pile of vomit) because of the weirdness theme.

At least through playing Mother 3, you'll understand the references in Brawl. Like the Porky stuff. Or the red snake, which I think became a little popular. Or that weird table that Lucas comes riding in on.

I remember one battle in Mother 3 where I was new to an area, I charged into battle with an Ostrelephant (half ostrich, half elephant), and was obliterated in two moves. Since then I've come to associate the Ostrelephant's cry with "something's about to kill me". I remember a similar obliteration in Mother 2 where I'm fighting a boss, I'm throwing Bottle Rockets at it... it looks like I killed it... then it changes form to something that deflects the rockets right back at me. One of the most dangerous things in the Mother series, I've found, is when you have Bottle Rockets or PSI spells fly right back in your face.

*looks at Birdo: Gender Pretender page*

Captain Rainbow:
"Early on in the game, you find "proof" that Birdo is female, but the item is censored with a large question mark."

I read a web article that touched upon that scene, but in more detail than IGN did (they just glossed over it), ending with the remark "Yeah, I have absolutely no idea how this would fly outside Japan, either." Then another comment says "I have absolutely no idea how that flies IN Japan." Since I'm not able to think of a clean alternative of what the item could be, I'm astonished there's no word yet on whether the scene will be censored further or removed in America. Or just slap a "Crude Humor" rating on it (Okami fell under that label, we didn't mind much). But since this game came out of nowhere and I think the game uses "misfit" characters (think the Island of Misfit Toys from Rudolph), maybe it's not unexpected to have strange not-so-cuddly things happening to the characters.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:37:14 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »
The world has changed. Example, in this valley, you can't say the word "Mexican" in any context ever--someone's going to pipe up, "that's racist." I like games that aren't afraid of "offending people."
Don't despair, Mike! Under the Southern Cross, anything is possible. What a holy constellation is this that empowers me to clear the devilishly tough dungeons of StarTropics.
B! C! C! You are CRAPPY! Viewtiful Joe is an honest game that tells you if you're bad at it. Some merit for a modern game--most assure you it's "too bad," "you'll do better next time." Except, you won't if you continue to suck. And my all-time favorite offensive content in any game:

This is a direct translation from MOTHER 2--NoA didn't change it from something more blunt. I think it's funnier this way. But it still counts as "offensive content." Itoi is a genius for not letting anyone's inhibitions hold him back. Maybe it's best that a team of fans are translating it as close to the original as possible instead of letting Nintendo of America at it...

Edit: Well, Magicant's another story. In MOTHER 2, Ness only wears his hat. In EarthBound, he wears his pajamas. I mean, you couldn't see anything on his sprites, and I get the symbolism, that Ness has nothing to hide from himself... but myeh. Wouldn't necessarily want my folks walking in on that.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 11:45:04 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 06:44:09 AM »
What do you mean "kind of assuming"?

Print