Print

Author Topic: Should Waluigi just die?  (Read 60069 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2009, 06:42:35 PM »
Define "controls" Chup. All the Wario Land games feel as smooth as butter to me.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
Admittedly, I'm talking about the battles and their epic slowness and clunky interface. Don't know too much about them otherwise.

I find the Pokemon interfaces very convenient and easy to use. The battles are only slow in the most recent generation, but they go by much faster if you turn off the Battle Animations. In addition, Pokemon games have some of the most in-depth gameplay I've ever seen in an RPG.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2009, 10:03:56 PM »
They also over charge a lot of used GCN games.  And I'm talking about the good games.

Er, on topic.  I find the Pokemon formula to have been growing stale the past couple generations.  Each generation is basically the same game but with better graphics and sound, more Pokemon, different badges and elite four, some new feature, and a different land/region.  The storyline is the same.  Train your pokemon to be the best, collect every species, defeat some criminal organization, collect 8 badges and defeat the elite four.  Oh, and you have a rival running around.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:15:44 PM by Kojinka »
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2009, 10:43:34 PM »
Ironic, then, that all I keep in the main series for is the remakes? I wouldn't mind Red and Green being remade every ten years forever, actually... I mean they make ten Dr. Marios every year, so...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2009, 11:46:38 PM »
Way to miss the forest for the trees.
You called?
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2009, 11:57:01 PM »
I don't mind the remakes.  I'm actually eager to for Heart Gold and Soul Silver.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2009, 12:02:05 AM »
Kimimaru, play a 2D Final Fantasy and tell me even first-gen Pokemon is not slow as heck compared to it.
Kojinka, like which games? I have to tell you that generally the more well-regarded a game is, the more a person is going to pay for it. Same goes for popular games and kids' parents paying for them.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2009, 12:16:07 AM »
Each generation is basically the same game but with better graphics and sound, more Pokemon, different badges and elite four, some new feature, and a different land/region.

Kind of like almost every sequel to every video game ever? That argument never works when used for any game series.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #173 on: August 04, 2009, 01:24:34 AM »
Some franchises are able to keep with the formula but keep it fresh enough to make it enjoyable, while others get milked faster.

I liked R/S/E, but most of the pokemon of its generation didn't have the same charm that the first two had.
The only thing I liked about D/P was online trading and battling.  By the time I reached the Elite Four, my party weren't at high enough levels, and it was taking forever to level them up.  I got bored out of my mind, and set the game aside with little desire to pick it up again.  The pokemon: very few of the new ones appealed to me, I'm afraid.  I've heard Platinum was an improvement, but I'm going to wait for the price to go down before I buy it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2009, 01:28:33 AM »
By the time I reached the Elite Four, my party weren't at high enough levels
Neither were mine. One of the most fun Elite Four experiences I've had with any Pokémon game, because I didn't go back and powerlevel like some people would.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »
Kimimaru, play a 2D Final Fantasy and tell me even first-gen Pokemon is not slow as heck compared to it.
Kojinka, like which games? I have to tell you that generally the more well-regarded a game is, the more a person is going to pay for it. Same goes for popular games and kids' parents paying for them.

I have played Final Fantasy II (IV in Japan), and I can say that the first generation of Pokemon games are faster, especially when you turn off Battle Animations. Also, unlike Final Fantasy II, the Pokemon games don't have you running into enemies way too strong for you when you advance to a new area.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »
Obviously you didn't battle enough, then. At all.
And I didn't say anything about Battle Animations.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2009, 12:04:20 AM »
didn't battle enough
This is where every defense of traditional JRPGs falls apart. Anything involving battling more enemy drones than you normally encounter on the way through an area should be optional (or not be present at all) and should not be a requirement to advance the story.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2009, 12:30:52 AM »
Obviously you didn't battle enough, then. At all.
And I didn't say anything about Battle Animations.

Oh, I did all right. Even though I leveled up a lot of times, the boss of the area still had an edge over me.

I realize that you didn't bring up Battle Animations, but turning off the Battle Animations in a Pokemon game shortens the length of the battles.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:32:31 AM by Kimimaru »

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »
Comparing Pokémon to Final Fantasy IV is really like comparing McDonalds to gourmet food. Or at least Fuddruckers. And in all fairness, Final Fantasy IV is more than just silly grinding and fighting. You have to use tricks and strategies against bosses or you won't be able to take them down with even the greatest amounts of brute force.

Print