Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Most underated Mario game?  (Read 18955 times)

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »
Remember that this was back when there were enough characters for a grand prix, and no more. So it's either kick out a character in favor of another (which would most likely have resulted in Waluigi replacing Donkey Kong) or keep going with the eight from Mario Kart 64.

No one's mentioned that Super Circuit was the last Mario Kart with tolerable blue shells... After MK:SC it really became luck-based and now you only get items that are any good if you're in fourth-eighth place...

What's the point of the new winged blue shell anyway? You're in eighth, hitting the dude in first is just going to make it easier for the player in second place. So you will still get eighth and not be celebrating, whoever was in second will be kind of happy (unless the player in first was smart and caught them in the explosion as well), and whoever was in first will be infuriated to get fifth instead. The old blue shells hit everybody, actually benefiting the player in eighth.

To prove that, I will tell of that time I got a Star in second.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 06:48:28 PM »
It wasn't a launch game.
Oh... when did it come out?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
Actually, that only ever happened pre-Double Dash. You know, scratch my comment about luck--it's always luck-based when it comes to items, and a bit of luck makes a multiplayer game fun (Like this one time when hammers just kept falling right where I was standing in Melee and I never got KO'd). My complaint is that now only people doing a really bad job ever get good items, and that annoys. I can understand a low likelihood of the leading racer getting a Starman, but to make it impossible? Unfun. It is luck-based against computers--either you'll get hit by twelve blue shells in once race or you won't.

Perhaps coins should be brought back for the Wii Mario Kart. It's very Mario-ish, and if I'm not mistaken a large amount of coins betters your kart's performance. Therefore a racer good enough to get many coins and not hit many obstacles would have an advantage, unlike the pity advantages that items grant to bad racers. Of course it'd just be a matter of remembering where coins appear, easily remedied by floating, moving or randomly appearing and disappearing coins rather than yellow circles all over the track.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »
Oh... when did it come out?

About a month or two after GBA was introduced. In the US, at least.
Ditto used Machop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 11:26:11 PM »
Yeah, coins give you a performance boost. Also, I unlocked all the SMK tracks on every speed class in MKSC.
That was a joke.

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 01:18:24 AM »
People keep saying "performance boost" but do they do anything beyond increasing your top speed? I thought that was the sole function of SMK/MKSC coins.

dżamper

• You forgot Poland!
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 04:32:50 AM »
I like MK:SC  ;D Quick Run rulez :D
Yoshi's broken English!     Lesson 1: All your base are belong to us!     Lesson 2: Please would paper chuck in wastebin Thank you!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 04:35:21 AM »
I can remember at least two times I got a blue shell in first on Double Dash. And yes, it hit me.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 07:30:36 AM »
Perhaps coins should be brought back for the Wii Mario Kart.
Those were weird in the original Mario Kart... there were just these random lumps in the road and a coin pops out when you hit one. What did those (coins) do, anyway? I never really officially owned that game, so I dunno...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

dżamper

• You forgot Poland!
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 11:18:04 AM »
Coins increase your top speed. Also, why not? MKDS contains coins so, ya know  ;D
Yoshi's broken English!     Lesson 1: All your base are belong to us!     Lesson 2: Please would paper chuck in wastebin Thank you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 02:15:35 PM »
I like MK:SC  ;D Quick Run rulez :D
Indeed it does, but Mario Kart DS has a similar mode: single-player Vs. mode.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 03:01:55 PM »
I was never really one that liked the coin feature. It was kinda flawed though...but if they re-use it, they should at least tweak it a bit.

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 05:10:58 PM »
When I first played it when I was younger, I loved it.

Playing it recently and having the opportuinity to play other Mario Kart games, my main beef with the game is that your kart can't drift, which, to me, made the cars feel more slippery. To my recollection, the cars bounced off everything they crashed into, which got annoying at times (I could be wrong, though). I liked the idea of having to collect the coins, however.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »
Mabey you have to collect enough coins to buy the motorcycles that appear in MKWii (similar to coins opening the retro courses in MKSC).

The biggest problem I had with MKSC is that the music isn't loud enough. Often times the sound FX over power the music, and I can't hear the music for the course that I'm playing on. I usually use the Quick Run mode to listen to my favorite track (5 laps, no coins, no items).

MKSC was also the last MK game not to favor the kids. You know what I'm talking about: if you fall off the road/are hit by lighting, explosion, Pirahna Plants, etc.. then you lose the item you were carrying. I absolutley hate that about the recent MK games (Double Dash and DS). I hate being penalised for saving my Star that I got in second place for the last ten seconds of the race, only to have Petey Pirahna knock me into a pit/plant/obstacle and making me lose my Star (and possibly my ranking as well).

The new games cater too much to people who casually play. You were hit by an item. So what? You should be able to get a better item and attack them back. Let's go back to the SMK/MK64 way of handling things..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »
Indeed...

I don't think that a game like Mario Kart is better of with truckloads of unlockable stuff. One cup, the Special Cup, okay. Four cups (which you must unlock for every engine class), a new engine class, four characters, twelve karts, etc... that's a lot of single-player time needed to get the full game ready for multiplayer mode.
It's YOUR problem!

Print