Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Most underated Mario game?  (Read 18816 times)

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »
Super Circuit was a bad game imo.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »
That's it? No reason or anything?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 08:15:23 AM »
I'm honestly not sure why I didn't pick up that game... I mean, when I was a kid and the GBA first came out, I guess I was just drawn to the fresher stuff--Wario Land 4, or something, I don't know. I played it for the first time somewhere last year or so, though, and I really think they should'ntve tried to cram those graphics onto the Advance... that's all I can say.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
It'd be a whole lot better had it gone in more of a Super Mario Kart direction, graphic-wise. It was like sticking the Mario Kart 64 roster on Super Mario Kart stages. It would've been nice to have a unique roster.
Ditto used Machop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 03:54:40 PM »
You do realize that the Mario Kart 64 sprites were 2D, don't you? They're using the same ones in MKSC. And the Mode-7 style scaling was done a lot better on GBA than SNES. Not to mention the control is about 30x better. Only thing about it is that when playing Super Mario Kart stages some of the obstacles are gone. As for a unique roster, where are you pulling this from? The same core characters have been there since Mario Kart 64.
That was a joke.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »
Yes, I mean characters that aren't directly copied from 64.
Ditto used Machop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »
They aren't. If you play the game, you'll notice that the handling is totally different.
That was a joke.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 10:05:54 PM »
I know, I mean the lineup. It has the same exact characters.
Ditto used Machop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »
Well, I guess since it was a launch game and on a portable (and they hadn't really invented too many more new characters between MK64 and then worth putting in), they didn't think much of beefing up the roster.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »
It wasn't a launch game.
That was a joke.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 11:04:21 PM »
I'm not gonna hold the roster against it, either way. It's still a good game.
Ditto used Machop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 01:21:35 AM »
Remember that this was back when there were enough characters for a grand prix, and no more. So it's either kick out a character in favor of another (which would most likely have resulted in Waluigi replacing Donkey Kong) or keep going with the eight from Mario Kart 64.

No one's mentioned that Super Circuit was the last Mario Kart with tolerable blue shells... After MK:SC it really became luck-based and now you only get items that are any good if you're in fourth-eighth place...

What's the point of the new winged blue shell anyway? You're in eighth, hitting the dude in first is just going to make it easier for the player in second place. So you will still get eighth and not be celebrating, whoever was in second will be kind of happy (unless the player in first was smart and caught them in the explosion as well), and whoever was in first will be infuriated to get fifth instead. The old blue shells hit everybody, actually benefiting the player in eighth.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:48 AM »
The old blue shell wasn't that much of an impediment to observant players, either. It really was quite balanced in terms of help for the person in last and harm for anybody else.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 02:30:44 AM »
Super Circut beats the crap out of Double Dash!!, and it feels like an improvement on SMK. Of course my favorite Mario Kart has to be MKDS, with MK64 in a close second. What peeves me about Super Circuit is the level of skill that it requires to get the SMK levels, and not to mention, I'm not a huge fan of the coin system.

You know, I'm really looking forward to Mario Kart Wii. I mean, it isn't your fathers Mario Kart.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:32:27 AM by SolidShroom »

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 07:03:40 AM »
Remember that this was back when there were enough characters for a grand prix, and no more. So it's either kick out a character in favor of another (which would most likely have resulted in Waluigi replacing Donkey Kong) or keep going with the eight from Mario Kart 64.

No one's mentioned that Super Circuit was the last Mario Kart with tolerable blue shells... After MK:SC it really became luck-based and now you only get items that are any good if you're in fourth-eighth place...

What's the point of the new winged blue shell anyway? You're in eighth, hitting the dude in first is just going to make it easier for the player in second place. So you will still get eighth and not be celebrating, whoever was in second will be kind of happy (unless the player in first was smart and caught them in the explosion as well), and whoever was in first will be infuriated to get fifth instead. The old blue shells hit everybody, actually benefiting the player in eighth.

I personally favored the old blue shells myself as well.
Ditto used Machop!

Print