Print

Author Topic: All drugs should be legal  (Read 69225 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2009, 01:16:13 AM »
Maybe everyone thinks it'll be some type of zombie horror scenario where people who are smokin' their green are suddenly going to be lining the streets with blunts hanging out their mouths furiously chasing people who are against legalization.

People smoking marijuana isn't gonna go away anytime soon, nor is the sneaky, never-ending supply... so, might as well just legalize it and tax the hell out of it.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2009, 10:04:50 AM »
It's true, it isn't really going to affect other people and apparently alcohol has worse side effects, but I've always been against alcohol too so I don't support any of it.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »
People smoking marijuana isn't gonna go away anytime soon, nor is the sneaky, never-ending supply... so, might as well just legalize it and tax the hell out of it.
That's not really a good argument, in and of itself. Burglary isn't going away anytime soon either, but we still have laws against it.

As a libertarian-esque, I should probably be all for legalization of all drugs and have faith in personal responsibility, but I know from experience that people aren't always responsible enough and that even the best of us can be trapped by addiction.

I believe that the rights of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness are in a hierarchy -- in a bind, liberty is more important than property and life is more important than liberty. I have the liberty to raise my hand up and pull my index finger back, but not if I'm holding a gun and you're in front of me. Liberty can be restricted in order to protect the life of others (that's why I'm against public smoking, though I'd rather it didn't have to be a law). The question then is whether it should also be restricted to protect your own life. I'm not sure.

From my limited research, it does seem that marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol, but I have to wonder whether it would open up legalizing everything. Once we've legalized one drug to meet a budget shortfall, the government might get addicted to legalization. If it is legalized, it shouldn't be for money; the government's spending too much already.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
Well yeah, if you're against alcohol as well, I can understand that viewpoint. That's fine. But I just can't understand the mentality that people think if marijuana is legalized then suddenly everyone and their mom is gonna get high and run out to White Castle six days a week.

I also realized that the original post I wrote advocated the legalization of all drugs. I can't help but think I was being a little facetious... but I think it's possible to have a double standard with something like this, since it's hard to compare a guy who's high on weed and a guy who's straight up jacked on PCP.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2009, 03:24:42 AM »
Cross-Eyed, I worded it wrong. I was meaning for it to be along the lines of drugs, not everything that is bad.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2009, 02:28:08 PM »
No matter how many posts pop up in here, the pro-weed argument is always going to remain "Let's tax it because that makes it okay."

Weed doesn't make you dangerous, or violent, or psychotic. But it does make you into a listless, ******baggy waste of space for the duration of your "buzz", if you aren't already. If you feel that killing six hours on your couch breathing in plant fumes "enhances life", you must live a pretty sad existance.
every

« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2009, 06:48:24 PM »
^
Agreed.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2009, 07:09:25 PM »
^
^
Agreed.

Legalizing weed would also inevitably beckon the gradual acceptance of increasingly more-dangerous drugs. Sure, perhaps an unprecedented increase in America's pot-addicted population mighten't spell disaster, but could the same be said for legions more cocaine/heroin/meth-loaded individuals roaming the streets?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2009, 08:32:54 PM »
Legalizing weed can't be applied to legalizing things like cocaine. The two aren't even remotely comparable. A drug that is already used widespread by mainstream society that poses longterm health risks to you but has presents no real danger to anyone around you... versus... a drug that is only abused by hardcore drug addicts that can severely harm you in just a matter of months that can literally turn you into a menace of society... It's like trying to look at a house cat and a tiger in the same line. Yeah they're both felines, but we never made it legal to have tigers as pets.

I just don't see why everyone has such a hard time grasping this concept though. If weed is legalized, it will still harbor a taboo. People who never wanted to aren't going to rush out to become potheads.
You do realize I don't smoke weed, right? I'm stating that people smoke weed for the purpose of feeling good and having extra fun in the same way that people drink alcohol. I'm not defending them or saying that they're right in smoking weed. I just believe that if they want to live their lives like that, they should have the right to do so. Do you also think the government should impose regulations on your dress code and personal hygiene as well? (Fun fact, they already are, in some places.) It's not simply "Taxes = good." It's a matter of you having the freedom to be a listless ******bag.

= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
Personal hygiene? Definitely.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2009, 11:16:11 PM »
Okay, but then when the government decides long hair is bad personal grooming and violates their conduct of personal hygiene, thus forcing you to get a buzzcut, you'll be in an uproar.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2009, 11:30:18 PM »
...Or at least his avatar will be.

Likening drugs to hairstyles isn't an optimal comparison. One has been justified as harmless by society's standards, while the other must be banned for some reason or other.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #177 on: August 03, 2009, 04:27:11 AM »
Weed doesn't make you dangerous, or violent, or psychotic. But it does make you into a listless, ******baggy waste of space for the duration of your "buzz", if you aren't already. If you feel that killing six hours on your couch breathing in plant fumes "enhances life", you must live a pretty sad existance.
True, but it's not the government's job to force us to live fulfilling lives.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »
Ah, but it is the government's job to exploit people who happen to be stupid enough to live unfulfilling lives?
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #179 on: August 03, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »
(yes)
Meowrik, grooming styles are not included under the heading of whether you're washed or not.
That was a joke.

Print