Print

Author Topic: Mario/sonic  (Read 3268 times)

« on: February 26, 2002, 07:39:25 PM »
Most of you probably hate me for saying this but, Sonic does not copy Mario. I will look at both sides of the argument. No bias.

Sonic: Run through levels to collect rings and chaos emeralds. fight a boss after every level.
Mario: Run through levels to collect rings. fight a boss in a set amount of levels.

the rings could be considered copying but the ways in which they are used are completely different. Mario's coins are used as score and extra life. Sonic's rings, are used as his "health". as for running from one side of the level to another, Mario is based mostly on jumping, while sonic is known, of course, for speed(I have yet to see a loop in a mario game). Also Sonic follows more of a continuing story, adding more characters along the way. Mario follows no real story and can in fact be played in almost any order and still be correct. And the chaos emeralds obviously have no basis in mario. mario's powerups are completely different than sonic's(save invincibility, which I'll admit seems a little uncanny).
There are similarities however, and they are somewhat strange. one example is tails power of flight. he flies by whirling his tails together. Mario does similarly with his raccoon(or tanooki) suit. as mentioned above, the invincibility is very similar, however the sparkeling stars seen in Super Mario world came AFTER the first sonic game to use them(sonic 1). so if anyone is being copied in that respect,it is sonic. I will say, though, that everything else about their invincibilities are very much alike. Mario has many roots in japanese mythology. Tails also, is rumored to be an animal from such mythology(the name of the animal, I cannot remember, dangit).
With that, I conclude that noone copied Mario or sonic, except each other.

Can''t hold on much longe. But I will never let go.
Yeah, your like an inch away from my face and it is REALLY creepin'' me out.

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2002, 08:04:06 PM »
you are exactly corret.

Prepare yourself for the Great Beyond Mario!!!-Bowser
200 characters and nothing to say.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 02:58:18 PM »
in sm64 mario used coins for health
or are you just talking about the old games?

____
''''dig it, cats and kittens''''>>>neutrino (tmnt)

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 03:21:14 PM »
Rings? What rings? There are no rings in Mario Games (unless you count the middle ring in SMW2:YI)

Microsoft X-Box unanimously voted "Worst Game Console There Ever Was And Ever Will Be"
Why is the word ''dictionary'' in the dictionary? If you don't know what a dictionary is, you wouldn't know to look in the dictionary to find the definition of dictionary.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2002, 05:19:36 PM »
Now, I agree with you on alot of points, but I still stand on my belief.

Although your comparison is valid and reasonable, Sonic most likely copy Mario more than Mario copy Sonic.

Two main reason are behind my belief.

1.Mario was created before Sonic.

2.Sonic was a suppose to be Sega's version of Mario.

I know Sonic was suppose to be Sega's version of Mario because I read many versions of the history of Nintendo, and alot of them states that Sonic was created solely to dethrone the world's most popular game at the time aka Super Mario.

While Sonic made be very different from Mario, there are many valid reasons for this.

1.If a popular game is being copy, it doesn't take a scientists to realize that you need to make the game much better. Or in other words, add more of what made the other game popular in your own version.

2.If you are copying a game, make it VERY different so that it will not look like a copy. So maybe this is why Sonic is based on speed.

Okay, so Super Mario 64 used coins to add to your health. But this is needed!

Would you want to play a game like Super Mario 64 if you know that you will die after getting one hit from a monster?

And since coins are the most convenient thing in any Mario game, Nintendo probably decided to use this, and just let the green mushroom give Mario extra lives. Plus, this add more of a challenge to the game.

- Captain Nintendo

Nintendo, Born To Play.

- Mario

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2002, 05:54:24 PM »
You have a good point

by the way... is this sig. too long?

Luigi- Hey Mario I found a mushroom!
Mario- Yeah? Well give it here. Boy do I love Mushrooms.
Luigi- M-M-Mario...
Mario- Yeah?
Luigi- That things Got TEETH!
*CHOMP!*
Luigi- M-M-Mario... That things Got TEETH!
Mario- Huh!?
*CHOMP!*

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2002, 02:33:27 PM »
yeah, i think it is too long...some people have longer sigs, but those annoy me

sonic may be a copy of mario, but he's still cool 'cause he's different enough

____
''''dig it, cats and kittens''''>>>neutrino (tmnt)

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2002, 04:14:04 PM »
Millionair, I was talking about the rings in sonic. there are no rings in mario. not of the small golden variety anyway.

Can''t hold on much longe. But I will never let go.
Yeah, your like an inch away from my face and it is REALLY creepin'' me out.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2002, 04:31:52 PM »
Argh!!!! Mytery,how long is it going to take you to fix your sig?!?!!!!?!?!?!?!!

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2002, 04:32:04 PM »
Argh!!!! Mystery,how long is it going to take you to fix your sig?!?!!!!?!?!?!?!!

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2002, 04:32:27 PM »
Heh, my signature would have been MUCH longer, but when it make it that long, my profile can't be updated for some reason.

I wonder why?

Oh well, it doesn't matter much anyway. All I was going to add was a long quote from Shigeru Miyamoto. It's that quote that seems to be famous with a lot of Nintendo fans lately.

"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn''t? You either dismiss it or accept that there is much more to the world than you think."

- Shigeru Miyamoto ______________________________
"Here We Go!"

- Mario

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2002, 04:36:02 PM »
*Looks at post* Oh yeah, I forgot. I erase my original "Nintendo, Born To Play" signature to make room for the Shigeru Miyamoto quote.

"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn''''t? You either dismiss it or accept that there is much more to the world than you think."

- Shigeru Miyamoto

- Mario

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2002, 07:36:47 PM »
well i agree but Mario was created before Sonic............But still a lot of questions remain.....................................................

Yoshi/Boshi!
People are who they are and thats that!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2002, 09:32:18 PM »
Millionare,There are rings in Sm64 too.
Like, on the level Jolly rojer bay,There is a  hole in the water with a net over it and it's blowing water.
on another level like that,One of the jet streams blowing water is also creating rings and you have too swim through five of them.
Even though they don't look the same,they are both rings.

Okie dokie!

--Mario

--Mario

--Mario

--Luigi

--Tumble

--Toad

--Me

Me:Bob the spiny parakoopa.
(Clever,Aren''t I?!?!)

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2002, 04:38:31 PM »
How 'Bout Now?

Mario- Huh!?
*CHOMP!*
Mario- Huh!?
*CHOMP!*

Print