Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 476366 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1320 on: August 12, 2007, 07:00:51 PM »
Airship or a giant Rocky Wrench
Saying those are references to SMB3 is like saying that Bob-Ombs are a reference to SMB2 (US).
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #1321 on: August 13, 2007, 04:28:00 AM »
Did I just here you say "it's a game"? This discussion just ended!

« Reply #1322 on: August 13, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
They were in the bar in Rogueport and Glitzville, as the Bartenders.

Were those guys bean-beans? I had no idea. :/

No they're not. Those guys are just greenish in color because the guy who ran the bar in the first Paper Mario game was green.

None of them are Beanbean-ers (unless one of them specifically said "I moved/came here from the Bean Kingdom!")

Now, there is a reference to the Mario & Luigi games.. The chuckola cola that washes up on shore after the spirits attack.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1323 on: August 15, 2007, 04:30:20 PM »
None of them are Beanbean-ers (unless one of them specifically said "I moved/came here from the Bean Kingdom!")

No, I believe in an interview with one of the people working on the game, he said Podley, the Rogueport bartender, was an immigrant from the Bean-Bean Kingdom.

And no in Paper Mario, he was not green.
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

« Reply #1324 on: August 15, 2007, 04:39:11 PM »
Do you have a link? I don't remember ever hearing about that.

Back to Mariology: How do the Mushroom People get around? They obivously don't drive many cars, because Toad's Turnpike, Mushroom Bridge, Mushroom City, and 'Shroom Ridge don't go anywhere. The cars there just drive in circles.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1325 on: August 15, 2007, 04:55:08 PM »
If that's the way you think about, then try explaining how Peach has a tennis court, golf course and a few different race tracks right on her castle grounds.

« Reply #1326 on: August 15, 2007, 05:17:01 PM »
As seen in Smash Bros Melee, the areas near the castle grounds are ideal for golf course, so it wouldn't have been hard to factor the Royal Raceway in too (though they didn't).

« Reply #1327 on: August 17, 2007, 10:54:12 AM »

Back to Mariology: How do the Mushroom People get around? They obivously don't drive many cars, because Toad's Turnpike, Mushroom Bridge, Mushroom City, and 'Shroom Ridge don't go anywhere. The cars there just drive in circles.

Actually in Mushroom City, there's a road that the cars come out of, that is out of bounds.
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

« Reply #1328 on: August 17, 2007, 06:08:09 PM »

Then again, the Mario Kart games aren't canon, so how do we know that those locations are actually in the Mario World? Those locations may not exist, but cars might. After all, they've managed to invent video, Airplanes and Submarines, so why not cars?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1329 on: August 18, 2007, 07:40:05 AM »
Who said they aren't canon? Who said there even was a canon to begin with? As far as I'm concerned, every Mario game happened. Why would you want to act like a game never existed?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #1330 on: August 18, 2007, 03:26:01 PM »
Look at the CD-i Zeldas.  Mario is Missing.  ET.  Well, the CD-i Zeldas for the most part.  Most of the Zelda community acts like those games never existed (and for good reason)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #1331 on: August 18, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »
1)Who said they aren't canon? Who said there even was a canon to begin with? 2)As far as I'm concerned, every Mario game happened. 3)Why would you want to act like a game never existed?

1) Well, for one thing, I don't think Bowser would meet with his enemies just to have a race/play golf/play tennis/etc. If he did, then don't you think he would at least try to kidnap the princess? Especially since she's right there, none the wiser?
2) Even the awful Hotel Mario? Even Mario is Missing, Mario's Time Machine, Mario teaches typing and all the other Mario educational games?
3) In the case of games like Hotel Mario, it's because the game is bad and there was no influence by Nintendo in it's creation, was not on a Nintendo system or was not published by Nintendo.

In the case of the Mario spinoffs, it's because the game(s) have no real place in the Mario timeline and/or make a mess of the story (Such as the example I pointed out earlier).
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #1332 on: August 18, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »
Actually in Mushroom City, there's a road that the cars come out of, that is out of bounds.

Oh yeah. I completely forgot about that road.. -_-;

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1333 on: August 18, 2007, 09:05:15 PM »
1) Well, for one thing, I don't think Bowser would meet with his enemies just to have a race/play golf/play tennis/etc. If he did, then don't you think he would at least try to kidnap the princess? Especially since she's right there, none the wiser?
Maybe he has time off and just wants to beat Mario at something other than a fight to the death. Also, if you've ever played Mario Power Tennis, you'd know that Bowser's ending involved him trying to get a kiss from Peach. So... yeah.

2) Even the awful Hotel Mario? Even Mario is Missing, Mario's Time Machine, Mario teaches typing and all the other Mario educational games?
They exist. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they should be disregarded.

3) In the case of games like Hotel Mario, it's because the game is bad and there was no influence by Nintendo in it's creation, was not on a Nintendo system or was not published by Nintendo.
Unless Nintendo themselves says otherwise, there is no canon and these games don't have any sort of bearing on the ones they did make.

In the case of the Mario spinoffs, it's because the game(s) have no real place in the Mario timeline and/or make a mess of the story (Such as the example I pointed out earlier).
There's no timeline or story to have a mess made of. Each game has it's own storyline, some more elaborate than others. There is continuity due to recurring elements. Spinoffs are some of the best examples of that.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #1334 on: August 19, 2007, 08:37:28 AM »

Well, they can go through pipes, possibly. Another way would be to just walk. To get to other kingdoms/resorts, they use a plane as seen in SM Sunshine.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print