Print

Author Topic: Mario's Murder Mystery on the Excess Express  (Read 20931 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2005, 08:45:30 PM »
Ah, yes.  I see now.  I guess I tend to type a little too fast and miss most of the spelling (and grammar).
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 02:06:40 PM »
Chapter 10: Arrival ~ Boogore looked out to sea from the crow's nest, breathing in the fresh, salty air.  Everything seemed so peaceful and quiet lately.  Kooparow had not yelled at him for a while now, and he couldn't help but wonder where the koopa was.  But, Boogore stuck to his orders and remained at the crow's nest with his telescope at hand.  There was not a cloud in the sky, and the sun shone warmly down upon the sea.  The gentle sway of the boat became like a soothing lullaby to Boogore.  He put down the telescope with a loud yawn, and slowly fell asleep.  Mario, Bobbery, and Goombella quietly snuck out from the trap door and onto the top deck.  They were expecting to see the dastardly Boo floating around below, but they saw nothing.
"Where is he?" Goombella whispered urgently.  Bobbery squinted his eyes, looking from left to right.  "Could he be invisible again?"
"I'm not sure," Bobbery replied, "Come on, follow me."  Mario and Goombella cautiously followed Bobbery down the stairs, making their way to the main deck.  They could find no sign of a ghost.  Just then Mario heard something.  Someone was snoring.
"Listen!" Mario said, pointing upwards.  Everyone became silent as they listened for any sound.  Indeed, the sound of snoring could be heard from the crow's nest.
"He's up there!" Bobbery said, looking up, "Well...This puts a bit of a turn on our plan...but we can still do this!"  Bobbery began telling Mario and Goombella what the plans were.  "It's simple.  We simply climb up to the top, knock him out quickly, and tie him up where we can see him."
"You're sure it will work?"
"...Pretty sure, Goombella.  Lets give it a try."  Mario nodded.  Slowly, he began climbing the loose rope ladder up to the crow's nest, followed by Goombella and Bobbery.  The snoring became louder as he climbed higher and higher, reaching the top.  Mario slowly peered over the side of the crow's nest.  There, lying on the base was Boogore.  He was sleeping very soundly, and this could end up being quite easy.  Mario signaled the other two to climb faster.  Bobbery and Goombella slowly peered over as well.
"Alright," Bobbery whispered, "On the count of three.....one....two.."
"THREE!" Boogore cried.  The sleeping Boo had suddenly woken up, shoving all three of them back down to the ship.  Goombella screamed as she hit the bottom, luckily, her helmet protected her from what might have been a very tragic accident.  Mario hit the bottom with a loud thud, pain running through his entire body.  Mario tried to quickly get up, his back searing in pain.  The terrible laughed of Boogore could be heard; now floating around invisibly at their level of the ship.  Goombella and Bobbery got up, looking around for the dreaded ghost.  There was a silence for a while, in which Bobbery was about to say something.  Suddenly, Bobbery was lifted out of the air, and thrown straight into the door of the cabin.  Bobbery groaned as he slid to the floor.  Goombella gasped as she rushed next to Mario.  There was another high-pitched laugh as Mario saw Goombella out of the corner of his eye, float into the air.  Goombella screamed as she was thrown right next to Bobbery.  Goombella didn't get up this time, her ponytail covering her unconscious face.  Mario now knew what Boogore was planning to do to him, and he was ready.  After a short while, Boogore laughed hideously once more, and as soon as Mario felt someone grab onto his trouser straps, he reached out in front of him and grabbed Boogore!  Boogore gasped as he became visible in Mario's grasp.  Mario spun around over and over again, causing Boogore to become very dizzy.  Then, he let go, sending the ghost flying to the cabin door, hitting it hardest of all.  Boogore didn't even groan.  He was out cold.

"That's right!  Put your backs in to it!" Bobbery cried at the three pirates as they began mending up the ship.  They were all very busy trying to cover up the hole they had made.  All were tired and out of energy.  Boogore could only go invisible for a second, and if Bombfrey exploded he would surely faint.  Mario kept an eye on them as well, in case they tried something unexpected.  "Yes, I rather like this better then just leaving them tied up.  Come on Kooparow!  You can do better then that!  Honestly Bombfrey!  You call that symmetrical?  Notice the pattern!"  Bobbery cried, ordering around the pirates.
"Mario!" cried Goombella from the top of the stairs, "We're here!  We're in Keelhaul Key!"  Mario sighed of relief.  It was about time!  He followed Goombella to the main deck.  Indeed, they were now only inches away from the Keelhaul Key dock.  Bobbery ordered the pirates to be locked up in his other jail cell (the one that wasn't broken) and warned them of what would happen if they even thought of escaping.  The pirates all seemed too exhausted to do anything at the moment, and simply laid down pathetically as they were locked in.  Bobbery put out anchor at the dock, making sure the S.S. Charlotte wouldn't float away.
"You two go ahead," he said, "I'm gonna make sure those pirates stay put."
"Alright," said Goombella as she followed Mario onto the dock, "We'll be back in a little bit!"  Goombella and Mario walked across the tropical, green island of Keelhaul Key.  It was just as Mario had remembered it.  Palm trees everywhere, mysterious caves.  Good times.  Good times.  They found themselves in what looked like a campground.  Tents were set up at the beach, a fire was burning with a kettle hanging over it, and Puh-Patch, a husky bomb-omb, was lazily staring out to sea, drinking a chuckola cola.  Puh-Patch suddenly looked over noticing Mario.
"Capn'!  Is tha' you?" he said, throwing his chuckola cola aside.  Mario waved.  "  Long time no see!  Wha' are you doin' 'ere?" he asked, "Not off on anotha adventure are ye'?"
"Actually, I am," Mario replied, "We're looking for a guy named Don Pianta.  Have you heard of him?"
"'Eard off 'im?" Puh-Patch said, "He practically owns the place now!"  Somehow that didn't surprise Mario.  Don Pianta always had seemed to have a tendency to want to be in charge (even if he is retired).
"Could you tell us where he is?" Goombella asked, "We need to get train tickets from him."
"Train Tickets?  Well, that'll be hard ter get, but if you're willin' ter try I guess I could tell ya.  You can find him over by the pond, yer know, right outside 'ere.  He seems ter like fishin'," Puh-Patch said as he pointed to his left at what looked like an entry way into a jungle.
"Thank you," Mario said, waving goodbye and heading in to the jungle.

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 12:01:23 PM »
Chapter 11:  The Don ~ Mario ducked under low hanging vines, and enormous tropical leaves.  The sound of exotic birds could be heard far above their heads.  Goombella quickly tried to keep up with Mario, stumbling over roots every once in a while.  Mario shoved plants and bugs out of their way, making a sort of path for them to get through.
“How much farther?” Goombella asked as she swatted a bug out of her face.  Mario picked up the pace through the dense jungle, hoping to hear signs of Don Pianta.
“Not much, I hope,” he replied.  To be honest, Mario wasn’t even sure he was headed in the right direction.  Suddenly, he stumbled out of the trees, and into a small clearing.  In the center of this clearing there was a small, dark blue pond.  Don Pianta was sitting on a rock next to it, holding a fishing rod, its line in the water.  To his right was a bucket filled with fish, and to his left was an even bigger bucket with a large rock covering the lid.  Don Pianta looked behind him; ready to ward off whomever it was that disturbed his fishing.  After a couple of short glances, Don Pianta realized who it was.
“Mario?” he said, “Is that you?”  Mario nodded as Goombella came stumbling out of the jungle behind him.  â€œWhat are you doin’ here?  Can’t a man have a relaxing vacation without someone disturbin’ him everywhere he goes?”
“We are very sorry to interrupt you, Mr. Pianta,” Goombella said unexpectedly, “but Mario and I desperately need four tickets to the Excess Express.”  Don Pianta looked at her as if this was some sort of joke that he didn’t find funny.
“You came all this way from Rougeport and expect me to just hand over four train tickets, just cuz you asked.”  Goombella seemed to be having a hard time trying to make words.
“Remember all the favors I’ve done for you?” Mario asked, “I got your daughter, brought back Frankie, and helped settle things between you and them.”
“Yes,” Don Pianta said, “AND you inspired me to retire.  The worst move I ever made.  I hate it.”  Don Pianta reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a fat cigar.  He lit it and stuck it in his mouth.  â€œListen up, kid,” he said.  â€œIf you do me another favor, I might just think of givin’ you these four tickets.”
“Name it,” Mario replied, confident that whatever it was he could get it done.
“I lost by favorite pair o’ sunglasses yesterday.  I was bored, and I decided to explore one o’ them caves they got here.  I wondered pretty far in, and ended up coming back out without my sunglasses.  I dunno how it happened; they must have just fallen off when I…er…stumbled a bit in the dark.  If you go into that cave and bring me back my favorite pair of sunglasses, then I will give you those four Excess Express train tickets….do we gotta deal?” Mario nodded.  â€œExcellent.  Now go on.  You’ll find the cave by just going straight over there,” Don Pianta pointed left, taking out his cigar and letting a fog of smoke surround him.  Mario nodded once more and made his way through another part of the jungle, this time to find a pair of sunglasses.  The jungle was even denser this way, and Goombella sighed as she struggled to keep up once more.  Mario knew this wasn’t going to be easy.  It seems like he can never get something without getting something else for someone.  That’s just how the world works, I guess.  After a while of traveling through the tropical jungle, crossing bridges and taking detours, they found the cave.  It was quite dark inside, and looked deep.
“Don’t worry,” Goombella said, “I’ve got us covered.”  Goombella tapped the small light in the front of her helmet.  It turned on, shining a bright light that would help guide them in the cave.  Mario and Goombella began their journey into the dark, keeping their eyes open for any sign of sunglasses, or anything that looked valuable.
“…It’s strange,” Goombella said.  â€œWe haven’t seen any form of life in this cave.  I thought for sure we would’ve seen at least a – *gasp*” She stopped, Mario doing the same.  Right in front of them was a huge group of tiny black Fuzzies, all gathered around what appeared to be a skeleton of a koopa.  Goombella quickly tried to turn off her light, but it was too late.  The Fuzzies all noticed them and began jumping up and down in excitement.  Mario got in his fighting position, Goombella doing the same.  The Fuzzies dived at Mario and Goombella, almost as if they formed a giant wave of blackness.  Mario felt the life literally being sucked out of him.  Mario fell to the cold cave ground, but quickly got up.  He brought out his hammer, and began swinging it left and right, hitting Fuzzies away as if they were flies.  They kept coming back.  Goombella was having quite a hard time.  She tried kicking, and head bonked a few, but it didn’t seem to be working that well.  Mario squashed one into nothing with his hammer.  All of them gasped and began attacking even harder.  Squash!   Squash!  Squash!   There were too many.  Just than, as Mario squashed four at once, he saw one Fuzzie holding what appeared to be a pair of sunglasses.
“I found them!” Mario cried over the loud commotion of the Fuzzies.  Mario hammered his way through the crowd of Fuzzies, trying to get to the one with the sunglasses.  He was almost there, just inches away.  Suddenly, all the Fuzzies stopped jumping.  The ground below them began shaking.  Mario was confused.  He looked over to find Goombella was too.  The shaking slowly became stronger and stronger.  Rocks on the ground moved, as bats began flying away.  The Fuzzies began shaking as well, Mario and Goombella soon after.  The shaking suddenly stopped.  It was silent.  Suddenly, a huge Piranha Plant burst up from the rocky ground!  It quickly ate a few of the Fuzzies, including the one that was holding the sunglasses!  Mario and Goombella gasped.  The Fuzzies quickly ran away, hiding in crevices and cracks.  The giant Piranha plant roared loudly, it’s jagged, pointed teeth showing.  Mario then saw something.  Stuck in the Piranha Plant’s teeth were the sunglasses.  Luckily, it had not been able to swallow them, as it did the Fuzzies.
“Come on!” Mario cried, “The sunglasses are stuck in its teeth!  We can still get them!”  Goombella nodded as the Piranha Plant continued roaring angrily.  Mario looked hard at the Piranha plant, and quickly took out his hammer.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 05:28:45 PM »
Um...okay, are only two people reading this?

"Lord Bowser, do you like egg salad?" ~ Kammy Koopa - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 08:56:53 PM »
Chapter 12:  Train Tickets ~ Mario quickly jumped out of the way as the putrid piranha plant dived at Mario.  Mario rolled on the stone ground, getting back up and grabbing his hammer.  The piranha plant roared once more as it began nipping at Mario, trying as hard as it could to bight him.  Goombella watched in horror.  She quickly snapped out of it, and decided to fight.  Goombella lunged into the air, smashing her helmet into the piranha plant (which also caused her light to go out, making it pitch dark for the piranha plant to bight Mario before the light came back on).  The plant was completely unharmed.  It didn’t even seem to notice her.  Mario tried hitting the beast with his hammer.  There was a loud THUD as it smashed into it, but it didn’t seem to really notice.  Mario was confused.  Was this thing invincible?  He dived out of the way again as the piranha plant lunged at him.
“Goombella!” Mario cried as he dodged another one of the plant’s blows, “What am I supposed to do?”
“Uh…” Goombella said, as she quickly took out a book from her backpack, “Hold on!  I’ll try to find information on it!”  Goombella flipped through the pages of her book, trying to find the piranha plant.  She quickly searched, looking up at the putrid plant and then down at the picture to see if it was a match.
“Hurry!” Mario cried, blocking another blow from the plant with his hammer.
“Here!” Goombella said as she finally found the right page, “The Giant Putrid Piranha Plant.  The strongest specimen of the piranha plant..…Ability to poison victims (Mario had wondered what that strange green liquid the plant was squirting from its mouth was)…..Only found in dark, damp places…..Rated 9 in the danger scale…..Weakness:  When finding yourself face to face with a Giant Putrid Piranha, it is always best to aim for the lowest part of the stem!  Mario!  Aim for its stem!”  Mario heard Goombella and quickly dived at the lowest part of the stem, just as it was lunging at him.  Mario smashed it with his hammer.  The Giant Putrid Piranha Plant squealed loudly, allowing Mario to get back to a safer distant.  The Piranha Plant hissed, squirting more green liquid at them.  Goombella gasped as she quickly jumped over it.  It lunged at Goombella this time.  Goombella screamed as Mario blocked the blow with his hammer, circling inward and hitting the Piranha Plant’s stem once more.  It squealed even louder.  Just then, it made an unexpected dive at Mario, catching his foot.  It swung Mario around and around, and hurled him into the wall!  Mario groaned.  His vision was blurry, but he could see the Piranha Plant about to make its finishing blow.  Mario acted quickly.  He grabbed his hammer, and threw it at the plant, hitting it in the stem.  It squealed, giving Mario time to get up, grab his hammer, and hit it again!  The Giant Putrid Piranha Plant seemed to have had enough.  With a final shriek, it toppled over, almost landing on Goombella.  Green drool flowed from its mouth.  It was out cold.  Mario slowly approached it, and bent down to look in its mouth.  Being very careful, he reached in and quickly yanked the shining pair of sunglasses from its jagged teeth.
“Got it,” Mario said, showing Goombella the sunglasses.
“Good,” Goombella replied, putting her book away, “Now lets get outta here before those Fuzzies show up…or that thing wakes up.”  Goombella made a disgusted look at the Giant Putrid Piranha plant, and quickly led the way out of the dark cave.

Mario and Goombella found it a little easier getting out from the dense jungle this time, considering they had already sort of made a path the last time they went down that way.  They returned to Don Pianta, who still seemed to be fishing.  As they entered, Don Pianta turned to look at them.
“Did you get my sunglasses?” he asked shortly, not noticing that a fish had nibbled at his bait and swam off with it.
“Yeah,” Mario replied, out of breath, “Here you go.”  Mario reached into his pocket and pulled out the pair of sunglasses.  Looking at them, he noticed that they weren’t any different from the ones Don Pianta was wearing already.  Mario didn’t think too much into it, and handed the Pianta his glasses.  Don Pianta took them, and quickly examined it.  He had an unsatisfied look on his face.
“What is this?” he asked, pointing to two large scratch marks on the lens of his sunglasses.  Those must have gotten there from the piranha plant.  Mario sighed.  â€œDid you do this?”
“No,” Mario said quickly, “it was inside the...mouth….oh, forget it.”  Don Pianta gazed at the scratched up sunglasses once more.
“Well, I guess I won’t be needing these anymore.”  And with that, Don Pianta took the heavy rock off from the large bucket next to him.  Inside was a large Nibbles.  â€œI guess my pet, here, could use some feeding.”  Don Pianta tossed the sunglasses into the bucket, the Nibbles quickly devouring them.  Mario gaped at the huge black fish.  He shook it off and said,
“Anyway, Don Pianta, what about my four train tickets?”  He asked.
“Wha?” Don Pianta said, “Oh yeah.  Normally, I would blame you for those scratches on my shades, there…but I like you Mario.  You’re a good man.  Here are your four train tickets.”  Don Pianta reached inside his coat and pulled out four blue tickets.  Mario gratefully took them, thanking Don Pianta.  â€œYeah, yeah.  Now get outta here.  You’re ruining my retirement.”

It was back on the S.S. Charlette once more.  After saying goodbye to all their old friends on Keelhaul Key, Mario, Goombella, Bobbery (and the three pirates, to be exact) set off for Rougeport.  Going back was a lot better then getting there.  There were no storms, no pirates, just a good wind for sailing and a dark, starry night.  Mario lay back on the top deck, listening to the waves and counting the stars.  Goombella and Bobbery could be heard talking about the whereabouts, and what it was like devoting yourself to the sea.  Apparently, Bobbery loved it, and wouldn’t have it any other way.  The pirates weren’t doing so well.  They could be heard complaining a lot, but the good news is, they completely repaired the ship!  The S.S. Charlette was back to the way it was supposed to be.  Mario couldn’t help of think what was next to come.  The murder mystery on the train.  The death of Professor Frankly.  Who would do such a thing?  Mario really missed the old Goomba.  If he was still living, Mario was almost positive that he would have gone on the voyage with him.  Then again, if Professor Frankly were still living, Mario wouldn’t even be here in the first place.  Then Mario thought of Toadsworth and Peach.  He felt ashamed of not telling them before he left.  He could only imagine what they were doing.  Since they had a bit of a delay, the Excess Express was most likely already here by now.  True, it was very bad luck, but the excitement of the short voyage was almost worth it.

"Lord Bowser, do you like egg salad?" ~ Kammy Koopa - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2005, 09:20:56 PM »
Good! This story's not dead!

Ever notice how the name "Playstation" sounds more kiddy than "Gamecube" or "Nintendo 64"?
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2005, 04:06:58 PM »
No story of mine will die!…except for The Story Of The Blue Toad, but that story is long gone now.

Chapter 13:  All Aboard the Excess Express ~ Mario watched the great blue sea from the bow of the S.S. Charlette.  Up ahead he could see Rougeport, with its tall brick walls, and enormous blimp soaring above.  The waves splashed against the ship and the seagulls called, the sun was setting, and they were getting tired.  The darkening sky was gentle on Mario’s eyes, as he stared off in daydream.  He dreaded hearing what Toadsworth would say to him, but knew he would have to endure it, and gave up worrying.  Goombella was sitting on the main deck, going over Frankly’s scrolls and parchment, her eyes quickly scrolling across the old torn up papers.  Bobbery was sailing the ship happily, breathing in the fresh air that made him feel at home.  The journey back to Rougeport was very peaceful, and although Mario wished to go to sleep after the long day, he stayed awake knowing that they would be to the city of Rougeport soon, and the train would surely be waiting there.  He felt a bit guilty coming home so delayed, but as he reached in his pocket feeling the four tickets, he knew that he didn’t regret going.  He could just imagine how embarrassing it would be to confront the conductor, hoping to get on the train only to find he didn’t have a single ticket.  Mario thought of the Excess Express and what it soon had to offer him.  The warm boxcars, the delicious food, and the fabulous service.  It was all so welcoming.  There were exactly 8 rooms.  The first two were located in the front boxcar, right next to the train engine.  It was decorated in green and gold, and only suited the classiest guests.  The next boxcar held numbers 3, 4, and 5.  It was decorated in brown and red, providing a warmer, homier feeling.  Next to that boxcar was the dining room.  As he remembered it, it was beautifully decorated, a delicious smell pouring into the room.  Next to the dining room (in the same boxcar) was the kitchen where Chef Shimi would prepare the excellent dishes.  And next to the kitchen, was a small shop run by a Toad.  It is full of small souvenirs and knick-knacks.  The boxcar after that is the one that holds the numbers 6, 7, and 8.  It is decorated in blue and brown, a rather good combination.  In this boxcar, at the end of the hall, is the conductor.  He is there to provide any service to the guests, and to keep them from wondering around in the storage area.  Mario brought his ticket out from his pocket.  It read room #5.  He stayed in that very room the last time he was there.  Mario could remember falling asleep in the comfortable beds, listening to the sound of the train on the tracks.  Just then, something hit him.  How was he going to fit four people into one room?  There was a bunk bed for him and Peach, and a small couch for Toadsworth, but what about Goombella?  Mario decided he had better figure this out soon, for he was now at the harbor in Rougeport.  Bobbery slowly guided the S.S. Charlette into the space between the docks, and dropped anchor.
“Here you are,” Bobbery said as he stepped away from the steering wheel, “Rougeport harbor!”  Goombella stood up, packing away the scrolls and pieces of parchment in her bag (which was already quite filled with books in the first place).
“Thank you Bobbery,” said Goombella, “are you sure you can’t come with us?”
“Oh, no, Goombella.  I have Charlette to take care of, and a couple of pirates to take care of as well,” said Bobbery, motioning to the cabin door.
“Oh yes, what are you planning on doing with them anyways?” she asked.
“I’m sending those three to jail, most defiantly.  I hear that in Peddleberg they’re using Hooktail’s Castle as a prison now!  It seems like an appropriate place for them,” Bobbery said, shifting his hat and looking out to sea.
“That’s good,” Goombella said, “tell Koops Mario and I say hello!”
“Will do.”  With that, Mario and Goombella stood on the dock watching as the S.S. Charlette sailed back off to sea.  Mario was sort of sad to see it go, thinking that that could be the last he would ever see of his old friend.  Mario waved goodbye, just as he heard the voice of Toadsworth behind him.
“Master Mario!  Master Mario!” he cried, running down the steps.  â€œThere you are!  Where have you been?”  Mario took out his tickets as Toadsworth approached.  The old Toad seemed to not even notice Goombella, standing right beside him.
“I’m sorry Toadsworth,” Mario said, “I just had to get the train tickets.”  Mario held out the Excess Express tickets for him to see.
“Tickets?…” he said, “Ah yes, very good Master Mario.  But why didn’t you tell us where you were?!?!  Do you know how worried the princess and I have been?”  Mario blushed slightly.
“I guess I sort of forgot.”
“Forgot to tell us that you were going on a two day voyage?  That is unheard of!”  Toadsworth look flustered, though he could tell that Mario was quite sorry, indeed.  Instead, he turned his attention to Goombella standing by his side.  â€œAnd who is this?” he asked.
“This is-“
“I’m Goombella,” Goombella interrupted, “I helped Mario to save the princess last time he was here.”  Toadsworth raised his spectacles.
“Ah, yes…I sort of remember,” Toadsworth said.
“She is going to be coming with us as well,” Mario said, showing Toadsworth that he had four tickets, “she was a very close friend of Professor Frankly…”  Toadsworth appeared to be silently thinking this over.
“Alright then.  She’s coming to.  Just hurry, Master Mario, the train has been here for nine hours, now, waiting for you!”  Mario felt a serge of guilt run over him as he quickly followed Toadsworth out of the harbor, Goombella close behind.
“Mario!”  Cried a sweet voice, as a pink someone suddenly hugged Mario as he passed a corner.  It was Princess Peach.  â€œI was worried sick!  Where were you?”  Mario opened his mouth only to hear Toadsworth say:
“I’ll explain later, princess, but now we must quickly get on the train!”  Toadsworth signaled Peach to follow him.  She reluctantly did as he said, wanting to know all about Mario’s short journey.  Eyes followed them as Mario, Toadsworth, Peach, and Goombella quickly made their way through the west side of town towards the Excess Express.  The entered the tunnel leading to the train, and appeared right next to it.  The magnificent Excess Express.  The engine was a shining black, a golden light shining from the very front.  It was decorated with golden stars, and looked completely high-class.  Behind it was a row of colorful boxcars.  Mario just imagined the people inside.  Waiting for nine hours, not able to leave on account they were all suspects.  The conductor was standing at the entry door, looking very tired as if he had been standing there all day.  As soon as he saw Mario, he leapt to his feet.  Mario stood in front of the other three, and held out his four train tickets.
“Excellent to finally see you, sir!” the conductor said as he checked over all of the tickets, “You are in room #5.  Please, enjoy your stay.”  Mario nodded with a small smile as he began to enter the train, “Oh, yeah,” the conductor quickly said as Mario stopped and turned around to look at him, “Detective Pennington will be waiting for you in the Dining Hall.  He said that he wanted to see you right away.”
“Alright,” Mario said, nodding.  He turned back around and headed inside.  Although he dearly wanted to head straight to his room and sleep, he would go into the Dining Hall to find the great, crime-solving penguin, Detective Pennington.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2005, 01:31:43 AM »
Ah....I feel so peaceful in the Story Boards.....just writing simple little stories......nice and quiet, not like in the General Chats and stuff where every topic is looked at and judged critically!

Edited by - The Blue Toad on 7/11/2005 12:32:31 AM

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 03:46:40 PM »
Chapter 14:  Detective Mario ~ The train was just how Mario remembered it.  Classy chandeliers hanging from the wall, expensive looking vases filled with flowers, and the most welcoming atmosphere.  Mario and Goombella had been on the Excess Express before, and knew what to expect, but Peach and Toadsworth were simply ecstatic about the train.
“Beautiful décor!” Peach would say.
“Fabulous craftsmanship!” Toadsworth exclaimed, examining the architecture.  Mario told them to follow him as he made his way down the hall of the first boxcar.  He opened a door that led to the next boxcar holding rooms 3, 4, and 5.  Mario led the excited group to room 5.  As Mario passed room #4, however, a strange chill went down his spine.  He remembered that that was the room the ghost Toad was in.  He had met him on the train last time he was here.  The ghost Toad had asked a favor of Mario.  That he would sneak into the storage room and find his missing diary.  Only then could the ghost Toad be free.  Mario returned the diary to him, only to find that he liked the Excess Express, and decided to stay there.  But Mario had never felt these chills before.  Perhaps it wasn’t just from the ghost…
“What a marvelous room!”  Peach suddenly said as she entered room five.  Mario now noticed that everyone had entered, and Toadsworth realized something.
“Four people and two beds?  This is surely not going to work!”  Mario stepped into the room just as Goombella said;
“I can sleep on the floor; it’s no trouble to me.”
“Yes, but where am I supposed to sleep then?  Hm?” Toadsworth asked harshly.  Their was a short silence as the four looked around the room.
“There,” Goombella said, motioning towards the couch that sat on the right side of the room, “you can sleep on the couch.”  Toadsworth examined the couch a bit before answering.
“Yes, alright,” he said.  â€œMaster Mario, would you be so kind as to ask the conductor for a blanket when you are finished with this Pennington fellow?”  Mario nodded.
“Of course.”

Mario closed the door of room #5 as he made his way into the Dining Hall.  He wished that the four of them were simply going on a fun road trip to Poshley Heights, instead of trying to solve the murder of his old friend.  Mario sighed.  How was he supposed to figure this out in the first place anyways?  He was almost positive that Pennington would solve this mystery in the end.  Why did they even want Mario here in the first place?  Just then, Mario looked up to find Pennington sitting at a table in the dining room, complaining to the waitress about something on the menu.  The purple pig-tailed Toad simply put her hands on her hips and shook her head after everything he said.  Pennington sighed as he looked up where he spotted Mario.  His eyes lit up.
“Luigi!” he said, “Or…uh…Mario?”  Pennington had always mistaken Mario for Luigi, but was apparently corrected by someone.
“Hello Pennington,” Mario said, approaching the blue penguin.  Pennington wore a plaid detective’s cap along with a red bow tie.  In his hand was a magnified glass, which he seemed to carry wherever he went.
“Come, Lu-Mario, take a seat,” Pennington said, correcting himself.  Mario sat down at the same table in the chair across from him.
“What will you have sweetie?” the waitress asked, taking out a pad of paper and a pen.
“Oh, um, nothing for me, thanks,” Mario replied.
“Alright, suit yourself,” the Toad waitress said, pocketing her paper and pen and moving on to the next table which consisted of a nervous looking Bom-Omb.
“It’s good to see you again Mario!” said Pennington as he took a sip from some sort of mushroom tea.
“As it is you,” Mario said politely.
“Alright, enough small talk Mario.  You have been well-trained as a master sleuth, and I’m going to need your help with this case,” Pennington suddenly said.  â€œNow, my dear friend Professor Frankly was coming to see me.  Yes, we go way back.  We were college buddies, you know…he was coming to see me to discuss something with me.  Some sort of discovery…as you know, before Frankly could reach Poshley heights…he was murdered…”  Mario realized that Pennington seemed to be taking this quite hard.  He had no idea that they used to be friends.  â€œWhen they told me the news about Frankly, I told the Conductor to keep every suspect on this train, never let them off until this case is solved…Mario, I’m going to need all the help I can get.  I’ve only met a few of the suspects so far, and can’t remember any of their names…lets see here….Well, in room two is a Yoshi couple, Mister and Missus Yoshers…In room seven is an old friend of Franklys’, apparently.  Says he went to college with Frankly, but I don’t remember him...”  Mario noticed the nervous Bom-Omb across from them shot Pennington a cold glare, “…oh yeah, there’s this brat of a ghost girl in room #1 with her butler…this strange fat guy with glasses and a big mustache in room #8…and that’s all I can recall, Luigi-er, Mario.”  Mario nodded.  That’s a lot of suspects to begin with.
“Do you have any thoughts on who the killer could be already?” Mario asked.  Pennington cautiously looked around and said quietly;
“I’ll tell you when we get some place more private Mario.”  Pennington suddenly took one last drink of his tea and hopped out of his chair.  â€œWell, Mario, I’m getting quite tired and require a good nights rest.  I suggest you do the same.  You can find me in room #3.  Good night Mario.”  Pennington exited through the same door Mario had entered.  Mario was about to do the same when he suddenly remembered the extra blanket for Toadsworth.  As he walked he looked at Chef Shimi, and the waitress…they could be murderers.  Anyone on this train could be a murderer, and he had to figure out whom…

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 06:15:04 PM »
....*chirp chrip*....*cricket cricket*....sigh.  This reminds me of the days when I used to write Mario and the Golden Mushroom in the Story Boards.  Not ONE person read that story.  At least two (not so sure about Tingrio, so maybe one) people/person are/is reading this story.

Edited by - The Blue Toad  on 7/13/2005 5:15:42 PM

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 08:55:07 PM »
Hey, it could be worse.  I remember writing stories that people never read.  I just gave up on those.  But you don't give up!  Er, Don't give up!  GO THE BLUE TOAD! *parade music plays and balloons float into the sky*
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 10:00:47 PM »
Hey, I've been reading your story, and I think it's interesting.  You're doing a good job.  However, I do have to point one thing out: It's Scarlette, not Charlette.  Still, I like your story.
Now with more mink!

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 10:32:31 PM »
lol!  Whooo!  A parade for me!!!  EDIT: I had a feeling it wasn't Charlette!  Crap!  Oh well.  You people know what I mean.

Chapter 15:  The Suspects ~ Mario was luckily able to convince the Conductor to give him an extra blanket (after explaining how there were four people in one room).  It was now late at night.  The stars shone brightly through the train windows, and the lights glowed warmly in the peaceful dark.  The small gift shop was now closed, but the Dining Hall was still open.  In fact, sitting at the table were two Yoshis.  One was blue and was wearing a black tuxedo.  The other was pink and wore a dark red dress.  They looked as if they were talking over a very serious matter.  Mario figured that must be the Yoshers.  Mrs. Yoshers was looking very worried about something, and Mr. Yoshers seemed to be trying to calm her down.  Mr. Yoshers noticed Mario and shot him a nervous look.  Mario quickly avoided eye contact and made his way back to room #5 with his extra blanket.  He looked at room four as he was about to enter.  Another chill ran up his spine.  He quickly entered the warm room.  Peach was sitting on the couch gazing out the window.  Goombella was laying on the floor with her scrolls out once again, and Toadsworth was reading a book, sitting next to the princess.  Toadsworth looked up from his reading.
“Ah!  Master Mario!  There you are.  And with my extra blanket I see, thank you, thank you.”  Toadsworth put his book in the dower of a small desk by the side of the bunk bed where a vase of flowers rested on top.  â€œWell, I think we should all be heading off to bed then.”
“Yes.  I am very tired,” said Peach rubbing her eyes.  Goombella yawned as she put away her books and scrolls.  Mario felt sorry for Goombella sleeping on the ground, and pulled down his thick blanket for her to sleep on.
“Thank you, Mario,” she said as she removed her helmet and backpack.  Peach set her crown on the small desk beside her as she snuggled in to her covers at the bottom bunk.  Toadsworth put his glasses on the window sill next to the couch, and laid down with the blanket covering him.  Mario turned out the lights and climbed up to the top bunk where he tucked himself underneath the sheets and rested his head on the pillow.  It was very relaxing listening to the train on the tracks outside.  He looked out at the marvelous stars in the sky, and the mountains passing them by.  It was magnificent.  The other passengers must have finally been happy to get moving again.  Mario closed his eyes, and became very comfortable.  He wondered what Luigi was up to, and whether Bowser had tried to kidnap Peach or not, only to find she wasn’t even home.  Peach happily sighed below him.  She must have already been asleep.  Toadsworth was snoring slightly, but Mario could hear, on the floor, the soft tears of Goombella…

~BING BONG BING BING~ Mario eyes flickered open as a Toad began speaking over the announcements.
“Good morning passengers.  It is now 11:00 a.m. I repeat, 11:00 a.m.  Breakfast will be closing in an hour.  Today’s special is Mushroom Toast made by our wonderful cook, Chef Shimi.  Once again, thank you for choosing Excess Express.” The voice ended.  â€˜Yeah, I wonder if they’re thanking the murderer too,” Mario though as he sat up in bed.  Goombella had gotten up, however Peach and Toadsworth were still fast asleep.  Peach’s head was under the covers, and Toadsworth’s snoring just seemed to drown out the sound.  Mario quietly got out of bed and got dressed (keeping an eye on Peach).  Mario hadn’t realized how hungry he really was!  He quietly exited the room and headed down the hall to the Dining Hall.  As soon as he entered the smell of fresh mushrooms filled his nose.  As he looked around, he noticed the Yoshers were there again, and so was Goombella.  She appeared to be in conversation with Pennington.  Mario quickly made his way over to their table.
“Ah, Mario!” Pennington said, “Good morning to you!  Please, sit down!”  Mario nodded as he sat down at the table.
“Good morning Mario,” Goombella said as she drank from a cup of orange juice.
“We were just discussing Franklys’ marvelous work.  He really was a brilliant Goomba,” said Pennington, taking a large bight from what looked like Mushroom Toast.
“Yes, he was,” said Goombella, picking at her plate of Egg Surprise.  Pennington began going on and on about something, and Mario wasn’t even sure who he was talking to.  He took this moment to look over at the Yoshers.  They were talking quietly once more.  Mr. Yoshers seemed a little more up-tight this time.  Mrs. Yoshers eyes darted around constantly.
“Something to eat, hun?” asked the Toad waitress.  Mario quickly looked to her.
“Oh, um…” Mario quickly looked along the menu, “I’ll just have the Mushroom Toast.”  The purple Toad waitress quickly jotted something down on her notepad.
“And to drink?” she asked.
“I’ll have some orange juice, please,” Mario replied.  She jotted something else down.
“Alright, sweetie, I’ll be back with it in a moment,” and with that she walked back to the kitchen.  Mario noticed that the Yoshers didn’t order anything.
“Mario!” Pennington said, catching Mario’s gaze once more, “This would be a fabulous time for you to meet all the suspects.”  Pennington got up from the table and headed to the door that led to the second boxcar.  â€œI’ll be right back!” he said.  Mario looked at Goombella who shrugged and took another drink of her orange juice.  After a short while, the Toad waitress was back with Mario’s Mushroom Toast.  It was basically a toasted mushroom smothered in butter and syrup.  It was really quite good.  Suddenly, the announcements began again.
~BING BONG BING BING~  And Pennington’s voice rang out.
“Attention all.  This is Detective Pennington speaking, and I would like to ask everyone on the train…*mumble mumble*……….*mumble*…..except for the engineer to report to the Dining Hall immediately!  That is all.”  Mario had finished half of his Mushroom Toast by the time he was done.  He washed it down with some orange juice.  Suddenly, Peach and Toadsworth came in.
“There you are!” Peach said.  Toadsworth quickly followed her to sit with Mario.  Not long after Pennington arrived, followed by a Bom-Omb, two Boos, three Shadow Sirens, and an X-Naut.  Mario and Goombella stood up from the table and gathered by Pennington and the suspects who were now all standing in front of the small gift shop.  Mario told Toadsworth and Peach to stay put.  The Yoshers cast each other a nervous glance before going over and joining them.  Mario stood next to Pennington.
“Alright everyone.  Introduce yourselves,” Pennington ordered.  â€œYou all know me.  This is Mario, my partner in crime, and his friend Goombella.  Now that that’s out in the open,  I want to know you…”  Pennington gazed around at all the suspects.
“I already know Mario,” said a female Boo, quickly fanning herself with a pink feathery fan.  â€œMy name is Lady Bow.  I run an old mansion just north of here.  Mario and I go way back.  Mweeh heeh heeh!”
“Yes,” said and old, gray Boo next to her, “Mario needed the help of beautiful Lady Bow.  Without her we would all be in danger.  I am Bootler, Lady Bow’s longtime servant.”  Mario defiantly remembered them how could he forget?
“Alright.  Bow and Bootler.  Room #1.  Alright people, who’s next?”  The nervous Bom-Omb in the back spoke up next.
“My name is Professor Bom-Bers.  I teach history at the University of Boom…Frankly was a close friend to me…I only hoped for the best of him…”  Pennington nodded.  It was obvious he didn’t really like Professor Bom-Bers.
“Who’s next?” Pennington asked.
“My name is Beldam,” said the small, old looking Shadow Siren.  Shadow Sirens look almost like people, only are purple, and have no legs.  They rise from the shadows on the ground like genies from a bottle, “and these are my sisters.  Marilyn, and Vivian.”
“Ugh-Guh,” Marilyn said.  Marilyn was quite a fat Shadow Siren, and had red hair.
“Hello again, Mario.  Hee hee!” said Vivian.  She had pink, curly hair and rosy cheeks.  She had also helped Mario out in his last adventure.  Mario waved at her.  He was quite surprised to see the Shadow Sirens here.
“I’m Lord Crump,” the fat X-Naut in the back suddenly blurted out.  â€œI’m…uh…well, I used to work for a…a…company…”
“You worked for the evil organization of X-Nauts you half-wit!” Beldam suddenly spat out.
“I was getting to that!” Lord Crump said angrily, “I just was getting bored and wanted to take a ride on the Excess Express!  My boss was getting annoying and…and…listen, I didn’t kill anyone!  Believe me!”  Somehow, he wasn’t being very believable.
“Yes, okay, thank you Crump.  Alright.  Some one has to go next,” Pennington said.
“Alright,” said Mr. Yoshers in a firm voice.  Everyone suddenly turned to look at them, “I am Mr. Yoshers…this is my wife Mrs. Yoshers.  We were simply going to Poshley Heights to see the premiere show of the new Grand Theatre House-“
“Oh!  Me too!”  Bow interrupted suddenly, “I just have too see it!”  Mrs. Yoshers seemed very taken aback.
“Yes, well, we just want to get through this train ride without getting hurt.”  Pennington nodded.
“Yes, a likely story…what about you Chef Shimi?” Pennington suddenly turned to the brown Cheep Cheep who had very squinty eyes.
“What?  I just work here!  I make the food!  I would never kill anyone!” Pennington narrowed his eyes as he looked at the waitress.
“What?  I’m Toadina, and I just work here.  I’m a waitress.  That’s what I do!  Ewe!  I would never kill anyone!” she said.  Suddenly, the conductor spoke up;
“And I’m just the conductor!  I’m the one who found the body in the first place, does that really make me a suspect?”
“And I was talking to him!  I can’t be a suspect either!” Bow said.
“That is enough everyone!  I just wanted to get to know your names, that’s all…Now Mario and I will be by all of your rooms today for questioning…be there,” Pennington said.  â€œAlright, you can all go back to your rooms.”  Mario looked over at Peach at Toadsworth.  They seemed to be watching in interest.  Goombella was simply staring at her feet in deep thought…

Edited by - The Blue Toad  on 7/13/2005 9:45:30 PM

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 11:40:14 PM »
Chapter 16: Questioning ~ Mario was given little time to finish his Mushroom Toast and orange juice before Pennington practically dragged him away to the second boxcar.
“I’m sorry I had to tear you away from your conversation like that, Mario,” said Pennington, for Mario had been talking to Goombella, Peach, and Toadsworth about when they would be getting home, “but we can’t waste any time.  We have to interview every person on this train.  You know.  Find out what they were doing at the time of the murder.  But first, I have to show you something.  Pennington had stopped in front of room #4.  Pennington slowly creaked open the door, and flicked on the lights.
“What’s in here?” Mario asked.  Pennington swung open the door.  Cold air rushed over Mario as he saw in the center of the floor what looked like a white blanket covering up a large lump on the floor.  Mario gasped.  â€œYou kept the body in this place?” he asked.
“Why, of course Mario!  We have to figure out how he was killed, what caused it and at what time...” Pennington entered room #4 and walked over to the covered up Professor Frankly.  Mario reluctantly followed.  Pennington sighed deeply as he slowly and cautiously pulled by the white sheet.  There was the lifeless body of old Professor Frankly.  He looked peaceful laying there on the floor.  They had taken his glasses off, and set them on the floor beside him.  It was hard for Mario to see this, and he hoped Goombella wouldn’t have to.  Not like this.  Pennington put his hands together.  Mario imagined that Pennington must do this quite a lot.  Mario then noticed something.  On the left side of Frankly’s head was a huge bump.
“Wh-…What is that?...There on the side of his head…” Pennington looked at the large bump.
“It’s from a bump to the head…that’s what caused Frankly’s death…”
“…A bump to the head?”
“Yes, Mario.  He was an old Goomba.  Didn’t disserve such a thing…didn’t ever disserve that a day in his life…”  Mario examined Frankly.  He seemed to be pretty close to the door.  Could someone have just accidentally swung the door open while Frankly was near it, and it hit hard enough to kill him?  No, that couldn’t be it.  â€œWell, Mario,” Pennington said, “shall we go to our first suspect?”  Mario nodded as he did the honors of covering his old friend.  Pennington quietly closed the door to room #4 and moved along to the front boxcar.
“Who are we questioning first?” Mario asked.
“We’re going from 1 down to 8, so first it’ll be Bow and Bootler,” Pennington said, stopping in front of the door to room #1.  Pennington knocked loudly.  After a short while, Bootler slowly opened the door.
“Yes?” he said in a slow, old voice.
“We’re here for the questioning,” Pennington said.
“The questioning?” Bootler repeated, “The questioning for whom?”
“You and Lady Bow,” Pennington replied, “please move aside.”
“I’m sorry, I cannot do that without the permission of Lady-“
“Oh just let them in Bootler!” said Bow’s voice from inside.  Bootler hesitated, but then slowly floated aside for Pennington and Mario to enter.  Bow was floating above the green couch fixing her make-up in front of a small mirror.  â€œWhy, hello Mario.  So good to see you again!” she said, waving her fan in front of her face again.  Mario nodded.
“As it is you, Bow,” Mario replied.
“Wait…you two…know each other?” Pennington asked as he looked back and forth.
“Of course, you silly penguin, I said that in your pointless introductory thing,” Bow replied.  Bootler came to hover next to the couch.
“Oh…yeah…well…lets just get down to the questioning, shall we?” Pennington asked for permission before sitting down on the bed, Mario doing the same.
“Now.  I have already questioned the Conductor a bit, and he told me that the murder took place on April 18th around 8:30 p.m. is that correct?” Pennington asked.
“Yes, I believe so,” Bow replied, gazing out the window.
“Where were you at that time?”  Pennington set down his magnified glass and took out a pen and notepad.
“Well, I was over at the end of the train asking the conductor for another blanket.  I was just about to do it too, but then there was a scream,” Bow replied.
“Professor Frankly?”  Pennington asked, writing something in his notepad.
“Of course,” Bow replied.  â€œSee?  It couldn’t have been me.  I was talking to the conductor at the time of the murder.”  Pennington though this over.
“Yes, but what about Bootler?” he asked.  Bow seemed a tad shocked.
“What?  Bootler is as loyal as a dog, he didn’t do anything,” Bow said, “and I suggest you leave this room and go find the real murderer.”  Pennington ignored this and turned to Bootler.
“Bootler, where were you at the time of the murder?”  Bootler struggled with his words a bit.
“Why, I was…well…out getting ice for Lady Bow…she does like her water cold after all…”  Bootler turned to Bow, looking as if to expect the worst.  Bow was simply gazing out the window in a dreamy like-state.
“Oh really…The ice machine is next to the kitchen.  You would have had to walk right past the murder scene to get there,” Pennington put the pen to his beak.
“Why…I…well…I went rather fast and got back after the murder…when I heard the scream I stayed in the room at fear of something happening to me-“
“And what about Bow?”
“Well, I-I was worried about her, but she came back soon enough…”  Pennington jotted one more thing down and closed the notepad.
“Alright.  I think that’s enough.  Thank you Bow, Bootler.”  Pennington opened the door, Mario followed.  Suddenly, Mario stopped and quietly asked Bootler;
“Did Bow tell you to get ice?”  Bootler looked at Mario, shocked.  He looked over at Bow who was still gazing outside.  Bootler shook his head at Mario.  Mario nodded as he followed Pennington out the door.
“Alright Mario, to room #2…”

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2005, 08:58:56 AM »
Wow, there are a lot of "B"-named characters.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Print