Print

Author Topic: Mario's Murder Mystery on the Excess Express  (Read 20933 times)

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2005, 02:45:47 PM »
Chapter 24:  Getting the Answers ~ “What in the name of Scott did you put in that muffin, Mr. Shimi?!” Toadsworth asked angrily the next morning.  Toadsworth had risen early in the morning to see if Peach would awaken yet, but the Princess simply continued to sleep on.  Pennington advised them to let her rest, for waking her up when the sleeping powder’s effect hadn’t worn off could cause a terrible health risk.  Chef Shimi trembled in his kitchen.
“I don’t know!  I put everything in the correct order!  Anyone could have changed the ingredients around when I wasn’t looking!  Anyone I tell you!”  Toadsworth walked off in disgust.  Mario sat at the table in the dining Room alone that morning.  He wasn’t very hungry for anything at the moment; his mind was too fixed on this complicated case.  Someone obviously wanted Mario out of this…but whom?  Everyone on the train seemed so nice.  Too nice to ever write a threatening note like that.  Who would do such a thing?  Mario thought it over in his head.  Who could do this?  Bow and Bootler seemed a little too self-occupied to do anything this drastic.  Although the Yoshers were very mysterious people, murder just didn’t seem to be their taste at all.  Professor Bom-Bers did seem rather likely, but he was taking Frankly’s death so hard, that it seemed almost sinful to accuse him.  The Shadow Sirens may be the most mysterious of them all.  Were they hatching a completely diabolical plan, or just trying not to seem like a prime suspect?  Lord Crump seemed a little too lazy to do anything like that.  After the X-Nauts stopped reining chaos on everyone, they appeared rather pathetic.  Mario tried to rouse up as many clues as he could in his head.  Bootler claiming to go to the ice machine when it was out of order during the time of the murder, and no one even saw him go into the Dining Hall in the first place.  That was one of the major mysteries in Mario’s mind, and he planned to figure that one out sometime soon.  The missing vase in the Shadow Siren’s room.  They could have snuck out of their room in shadow, made their way to Frankly’s room, knocked him out with a vase, panicked when he screamed, and brought the vase back to their room… or someone could have thrown the vase in their room to frame them… it’s a shame no one decided to notice if the vase was stolen right after the murder, or during the night of the murder.  It really would make a huge difference.  Then there was Lord Crump’s one way to and from ticket.  He just wanted to hit the tracks, and enjoy this way of travel, apparently having no desire to get off at Rougeport.  Not too suspicious considering a lot of people do that sort of thing, but still something to think about.  Then there was poor Professor Bom-Bers.  He seems most likely to kill Professor Frankly and steal his discovery, considering he too is a professor.  Any of those books on his floor could have been Frankly’s missing discovery.  But how would he murder Frankly while he was looking in the shop window?  Some sort of time bomb like thing?  He was a very smart professor after all.  This mystery was a lot to think about.
“Mario!  Hello there!” Pennington suddenly said loudly behind Mario.  Mario jumped slightly and quickly turned around.
“Pennington!  Hi,” Mario replied, gasping.
“I can’t get this mystery out of my head, dear boy!  I am going to go through rooms 6, 7, and 8 to have a bit more questioning done by myself, if you don’t mind.  I really feel like I’m not getting anything done, here!”  Mario nodded.  Pennington really was trying his best.  Although Mario could tell that Pennington was enjoying the thrill of the mystery, he could also tell that he was struggling a bit.  Pennington waddled off to his questioning, and hearing this sounded to Mario like a good idea.  He would do a little more questioning himself, starting with Mister Chef Shimi.  Mario pulled himself up from his table and walked into the kitchen.  Chef Shimi was whistling to himself over by the stove, apparently make a wonderful smelling stew.  Mario could almost taste the sweet tangy delight, but remembered what he was here for as soon as Chef Shimi turned around with a potato in his fin.
“Oh!  Mario!  It is you!  You scared me for a moment!  Ho ho!” Chef Shimi said as he began to peel the potato over at the counter, brushing the potato skins into a bowl.
“Chef Shimi, I know I’ve been questioning you a bit lately, what about the ice machine and what not, but do you mind if I ask you something else?” Mario asked.  Chef Shimi looked up from his peeling.
“Why, of course I do!  Or…not, wait… I mean, of course not!  I am sorry, Mario, my English still isn’t very good.  What is it you want to ask me?” Chef Shimi asked.
“Well, I was wondering.  Do you know of anyone who could have changed ingredients on you yesterday?” asked Mario, hoping desperately to get the answer he wanted.
“Well, Mario, anyone could have.  You could have just now while my back was turned.  Anyone is able to sneak into the kitchen day or night, you know.”  This really wasn’t much help to Mario.  That just narrowed the suspects down to about everyone on the train.  Mario sighed and thanked the brown Cheep Cheep for his time.  Mario left the Dining Hall and into the boxcar that held rooms one and two.  Perhaps he could do a little more questioning to the seductive Bow and worrisome Bootler.  Mario walked through the green and gold hallway and stopped in front of the door that led to room one.  Mario raised his fist and knocked on the door.  At his second knock, the door quickly flung open revealing Bootler.
“Please, Master Mario, Lady Bow is asleep!” Bootler whispered.  Mario noticed that indeed, the room looked rather dark.  But then again, Mario saw this as an even better opportunity anyways.  Mario only really wanted to question Bootler.
“Bootler, I need to talk to you?”  Bootler grew somewhat pale, even for a ghost.
“Me?” Bootler asked, he voice cracking a bit.  â€œCan it wait for Lady Bow’s awakening?”
“Oh, no,” Mario said, “this would best be done now, while she’s asleep.”  Bootler looked around his shoulder, obviously towards the slumbering Boo.  He then turned to Mario again and nodded, floating out of Mario’s way for him to enter the room.  Bow slumbered on the bottom bunk, covers pulled over her face and her two red and gold ribbons resting on the desk nearby.  Bootler hovered by the couch as Mario sat down.
“What is it you would like to talk about, Master Mario?” asked Bootler in a very soft whisper.
“I want to ask you something about the night of the murder,” Mario whispered back, just as softly.  Bootler’s eyes widened.  â€œBootler, you should just tell me what happened right now.  Bow won’t find out, and you’ll be clearing your case, because right now it doesn’t look too well for you,” Mario said honestly.
“Wha…What do you mean?” asked Bootler, looking panicked.
“I mean that you’re not looking exactly innocent right now…you see…we questioned the people who were in the Dining Hall at the time of the murder and they say that they did not see anyone go use the ice machine, which you claimed to be doing at the time…do you want to explain yourself?”  Bootler looked over at his sleeping master, and then back at Mario.  He heaved a heavy sigh.
“Oh, alright…Mario…It was night, and we had just gotten on the Excess Express after Frankly.  Lady Bow really did want to see the opening play ever so badly.  She was complaining right away about not having enough blankets in the room and told me to wait here while she went to persuade the conductor to give her more…well…I had brought a delicate wine with us that was very valuable, and I wanted to save it for when we got to Poshley Heights after the show…and I really didn’t want it to get cold…but it was going to be a surprise…it was, after all, Lady Bow’s favorite.  So I took this spare moment of time to grab a bucket and…well…let me show you…” Mario watched intently as Bootler floated over to a little bucket on the coffee table.  Bootler picked up the bucket, and suddenly he disappeared.  It looked as though the bucket was floating in mid-air.  But then, the bucket as well disappeared.  Mario suddenly understood.  Bootler and the bucket reappeared, and he set it back down.  Mario had completely forgotten about the power of Boos and how they can turn invisible, not only themselves, but other objects too!
“So, what you’re saying,” Mario said, louder than he intended, “is that you turned invisible with the bucket, moved through the halls and into the Dining Hall, and when you tried to get ice-“
“The ice machine simply wouldn’t work,” Bootler interrupted.  â€œI had done it for nothing.”
“But then you heard the scream,” Mario said.
“Yes.  Once I heard that scream come from the other room, I was shocked stiff.  I simply couldn’t move.  Then Lady Bow and the conductor burst into the Dining Hall.  Luckily I was still invisible, which explain why no one saw me, and they both rushed into the crime scene.  I took this moment to follow them secretly, and while they were frozen, staring at that poor Goomba’s body I rushed back into room number one as if nothing had happened.  Now I am looked to as suspicious and have a warm bottle of wine with me…”
“Bootler,” Mario said, “this explains everything.”
“Please, Master Mario, don’t tell Lady Bow,” Bootler pleaded.
“Don’t worry,” Mario reassured him, “your secret is safe with me.”

“A wagon full of pamcakes?  In the Champeen ship?!  I’d like to see ya try!” ~ Homestar Runner        
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2005, 12:11:48 PM »
Chapter 25:  And So it Seems the Mystery is Over ~ Mario exited Room number one, not sure of what to do next.  He had now solved the case of the ice machine, but the case of the missing flowerpot and of course the murder mystery were still left unsolved.  Perhaps those two cases mixed together in a way.  It was obvious that the kidnapping of Peach was definitely mixed.  Perhaps if Mario solved one case, the other would simply unroll.  Mario thought of this for a while as he aimlessly wondered in to the Dining Hall once more.  This seemed to be the easiest place to think.  Just to stare out the window, letting your mind wonder on and on.  Today, however, the Dining Hall seemed to be rather full.  Mr. And Mrs. Yoshers were there, the Shadow Sirens, and Lord Crump.  Mario took a seat at the table in the corner of the Dining Hall next to the window.  Just then, Pennington came waddling into the Dining Hall as well.  He waddled over to Mario’s table and took a seat without permission.
“Well Mario, I’ve quizzed all of them…Every last one…”
“And what did you learn?” asked Mario once Pennington stopped.
“Well…I asked them where they were around the time of Peach’s kidnapping.  Lord Crump said he was in his room, as usual.  The Shadow Sirens were heading into the Dining Hall, but get this.  Professor Bom-Bers says that he was up at the train engine with the engineer…either Bom-Bers is really interested in trains…or he has lately been using the engineer as an excuse to go to the scene of the crime…” Pennington finished on a suspicious note.  â€œMario, wait here…I’m going to go and…get something…” Mario nodded to Pennington as he hopped out of his chair and waddled over to the door that led to his room number three.  Mario curiously watched as the detective penguin disappeared into the hall.  Mario turned his gaze to the window once again, watching the trees dash by.  They had been on this train for quite a long time now, and although the food was good, and the beds were comfortable, Mario wanted to get back on solid ground.  Breathe fresh air.  How long was this trip anyways?  Mario thought that maybe he should run it over with the conductor or the engineer some time.  But still, every time Mario thought of having a talk with someone, he couldn’t help but think that he could be talking to a cold-blooded murderer.  Mario turned to look at the door.  Pennington was re-entering and he was carrying a very large, bulky black back.  He quickly waddled over to Mario.
“Take a look at this, my boy!” Pennington said.  He leaned over, showing the bag to Mario.  Inside was a large, strange, metal contraction.
“…What is it?” Mario asked.  Pennington looked excited.
“It’s a lie detector!  I haven’t used this thing in years!  But, once hearing the case of my dear Professor Frankly, I thought that I would give it another whirl…although I highly doubt that it will work.”  Mario examined the lie detector, reaching down to pull it out of the bag.  Pennington pulled back the bag before Mario could touch it.
“I think I’ll go test it out on Professor Bom-Bers!” Pennington said.
“Pennington,” Mario said, “why didn’t we just try this thing out in the firs place?” Pennington turned at the doorway.
“Well, Mario, I am almost positive the lie detector won’t work anymore, and it’s always better to juice up the brain with a good, slicing mystery, eh?  But, now that things are getting so drastic…I’ve decided to use it…” Pennington turned quickly and dashed into the hallway.  Mario had a strange feeling that the lie detector would work…but it was only a hunch.  Was Professor Bom-Bers really the murderer???  Just then, Goombella appeared by Mario’s side.
“Hey Mario,” Goombella said.
“Oh, hello Goombella,” Mario said.  Goombella sat opposite of Mario.
“So, I hear Pennington’s really excited about something.  Do you think this mystery will be solved today?” Goombella asked.
“Well, one mystery has been solved.”  Mario told Goombella about his little chat with Bootler and how it wasn’t likely that he was the murderer.  It definitely wasn’t much, but it did clear up a lot of fog.  Mario then remembered he still hadn’t told Pennington.  He probably should if he goes marching up to him with the lie detector.  After Mario told Goombella about Pennington’s lie detector, his stomach became knots.  He didn’t realize how anxious he was to find out if it worked or not.  If the lie detector worked, then they basically had this mystery in the hole!  But, then again, Pennington did say that he was almost positive it didn’t work, and Mario decided not to puts his hopes up too much.  Professor Bom-Bers seemed so innocent too…how could he have done it in the first place?  No devices were spotted by the crime scene that suggested no timed weapon could have gone off.  Suddenly, the door by the gift shop burst open.  Everyone turned to see who had walked out.  It was Pennington holding something up in the air with Professor Bom-Bers hurrying behind him.
“I’ve done it!” Pennington cried out loudly.  Everyone gasped and went to huddle around Pennington.  Professor Bom-Bers looked more nervous than ever.  His eyes round, his tongue dry, and sweat leaking from his forehead.
“What is it?” Lord Crump asked.  Goombella quickly jumped out of her seat to join the commotion.  Although Mario could hardly see over the crowd, it looked as though Pennington was holding some sort of book.
“This is Professor Frankly’s missing work!” Pennington cried.  Goombella gasped loudly.
“Where did you find it?” she asked.
“I found it,” Pennington said, suddenly turning to look at the poor nervous bom-omb standing behind him, “in Mr. Bom-Bers room.”  There were more gasps throughout the room.  Mister and Missus Yoshers exchanged nervous glances.  Lord Crump looked very excited.  Bow and Bootler suddenly entered the Dining Hall, now aware of all the commotion.
“What is going on in here?” Bow asked.
“He…uh…He found the culprit!” Lord Crump said.
“What?” Bow exclaimed.
“Yes everyone, I have found the culprit!” Pennington said very proudly.  Mario couldn’t believe it.  Bom-Bers was the murderer the whole time.  He killed Professor Frankly.  His old college friend.
“How did you do it?” asked Toadina.  Pennington grabbed Bom-Bers making sure he couldn’t get away.
“Well, it started when I decided to give Bom-Bers the lie-detector test.  Unfortunately, like I had guessed, it was broken.  When I was about to leave his room in despair, I looked upon his for to find this!” Pennington cried holding up the book for all to see.  â€œSomething told me to examine this book, and when I did…well…look!”  Pennington opened up the cover of the book and was showing something to the people.  Mario jumped to see what it was, but still he was too far back.
“Why!  That’s a book by Frankly!” Bow said.
“Yes!  It is!  I found Frankly’s signature on the backside of this cover, along with a little note that read this:  â€˜This book is dedicated to my dear friend, Pennington, who I couldn’t solve the case without’…” Pennington whipped a tear from his eye as everyone exchanged looks of sorrow.  Mario was pale.  How could he?  Little Professor Bom-Bers…who would do such a thing?  Mario looked over to Goombella who had tears building up in her big, brown eyes.
“Bom-Bers, why did you do this?” Goombella asked.  Everyone turned to Professor Bom-Bers.
“It-It-It wasn’t me!  I-I swear!  Someone framed me!” he said nervously.  â€œI wouldn’t kill anyone!  Especially not Frankly!  No!  It wasn’t me!”
“Oh be quiet Bom-Bers.  The evidence is all right here,” Pennington pointed at the book.  â€œThe murderer stole Frankly’s discovery, and since you have Frankly’s discovery, you’re obviously the murderer you underhanded bom-omb…why did you do it?”  Everyone shook their heads at the awe-struck bom-omb.
“…It…wasn’t…me…” he said.  Pennington shook his head as his eyes nailed into the bom-omb.
“You disgust me…” Pennington said.  Bom-Bers gave a look of fear around at everyone.  Chef Shimi’s jaw was dropped, and the Conductor seemed to be acting rather paranoid.  â€œSo…how did you do it Bom-Bers?  We know you did it, now I’d like to know how…”
“It wasn’t me!  I did not kill Pro-Professor Frankly!  The Shadow Sirens were in my room for a while today!  Yeah…we were talking!  They must have dropped the book in my room to frame me!  Yeah that’s it!” Bom-Bers said quickly.
“You know what, Bom-Bers.  I’m going to have the Conductor, Chef Shimi, and Mario take you back to your room.  I want you to think of what you did, and I’m going to come back tomorrow and you had better tell me everything…” Pennington said.  Pennington nodded to Mario, the Conductor, and Chef Shimi.  Mario and the Conductor walked by his sides while Chef Shimi took the back, making sure he couldn’t get away.  â€œWell, Mario, I guess this case is over,” Pennington said as Mario began walking towards the door.
“I guess so,” said Mario, “I guess so…”

“A wagon full of pamcakes?  In the Champeen ship?!  I’d like to see ya try!” ~ Homestar Runner        

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2005, 07:07:42 PM »
Chapter 26:  Trying to Get the Answers ~ Everyone seemed to be a little shocked after that little scene.  People also seemed a lot more relieved, and Mario couldn’t blame.  The murderer was locked away safe now.  He played a hard game, but left the evidence wide open, a terribly foolish mistake.  Not long after the murder mystery was solved, Pennington and Mario went back to Professor Bom-Bers’ to try to figure out not only how he did it, but why.  It was a tricky case that one could not just think up.  The Shadow Sirens were just scared that they would be accused of something they didn’t do.  They really were framed for the murder.  It was understandable to, considering that Bom-Bers was located right next to their room.  Pennington slowly walked down the hall followed by Mario.  They were silent as they stopped in front of room seven.  The room seemed almost haunting now, knowing that the murderer was in there.  Pennington raised a fist and knocked.
“Open up, Bom-Bers, time for questioning,” Pennington said.  They’ve been through a lot of questioning on this train, but none like this.  The door flung open revealing Professor Bom-Bers.  His wick was more crooked than ever, and his eyes were piercing.  His usual red bow tie was no longer there, and he looked rather tired.
“Fine!” he spat out quickly.  â€œCome in!  What do I care, I’m going to jail any how…”  Bom-Bers stormed into his room, leaving the door open.  Pennington exchanged glances with Mario as they both entered the room.  It was just as messy as last time.  Bom-Bers sat on his bed, staring at the floor.  Pennington shook his head as he seated himself on the couch, Mario doing the same.  There was a brief moment of silence.
“Bom-Bers, Bom-Bers, Bom-Bers…why?” Pennington asked in a very serious tone.
“Why what?  I did nothing, Pennington…nothing,” Bom-Bers said.  â€œI was framed.  I was framed!!!” Pennington shook his head.
“Bom-Bers, you seemed most likely to murder Frankly, and had the biggest clue of all just lying in your room…I believe it is time for you to stop denying your terrible mistake…” Pennington said.  Mario felt almost sorry for the mistaken little Bom-Omb.  How could he do such a thing?
“Listen to me you stupid penguin!  I DID NOTHING WRONG!  I wouldn’t kill my friend!  I had nothing against him!”
Pennington stood up and looked Bom-Bers right in the eye.  â€œListen, you!  Maybe you were framed, maybe you weren’t, but as far as I’m concerned right now, you’re a fat cat spittin’ feathers, now answer the questions in a civilized matter!”  Bom-Bers gave an awful glare at Pennington.  The penguin became stiff as he sat down once more.  Mario didn’t notice this however as he studied the facial expression of Professor Bom-Bers.  It was a look of terrible frustration, anger, and a hint of fear.
“Alright penguin…I’ll answer you in a civilized manner….I did not murder Professor Frankly.”  His expression turned calmer, but Mario could still uncover his fear hidden under his baggy eyelids.  Pennington stared hard at Bom-Bers for a few minutes.
The penguin shook his head and rubbed his eyes.  â€œYou know, Bom-Bers, I was hoping it wasn’t going to be you.  To kill your own friend is the most unloyal, lowly thing you could ever do.  But, the clues were all around.  Your grief.  It could have been for Frankly…or yourself.  I had the strangest feeling it was you…you got so testy when the murder was brought up.  I know I find you with Frankly’s discovery in your room, right next to your bed.” Bom-Bers suddenly seemed to be having a hard time breathing as he wheezed in and out.  His eyes stuck to Pennington like glue.
Mario looked at Professor Bom-Bers and shook his head.  â€œHow did you do it, Bom-Bers?” he asked.  Bom-Bers eyes broke away from Detective Pennington and switched over to Mario.  Mario felt the same cold glare on him.  He suddenly felt a little guilty for asking the question.
“I don’t know how I did it, Mario.  I didn’t do it.  I deny all of it,” said Bom-Bers.  Pennington appeared to be getting a little restless as he rubbed his temples.
A few minutes later Pennington returned a very serious glare to Professor Bom-Bers.  â€œProfessor that is enough.  Just confess yourself!”
“I have!” Bom-Bers shot back.  â€œI did!  I did nothing!  It was not me!”
“Bom-Bers either confess or I’ll be forced to take you straight to the police station as soon as this train stops!”  Pennington seemed to suddenly panic.
“I DIDN’T DO IT!  What is the matter with you?!”
Pennington stood up from the couch.  â€œAlright Bom-Bers.  Prepare for a very serious lie-detector test when we get to Poshley Heights!”
“Fine!”  Pennington rushed out the door, slamming it behind him.  Mario kept his gaze at the closed door, and stood up slowly as well.

Just as he began making his way toward the door, Bom-Bers said, “Mario….” Mario turned to look at him.  â€œâ€¦.It wasn’t me…”

Mario walked down the hall and into the Dining Hall.  Pennington was sitting at a table next to a window, sipping some tea.  Mario walked over and took a seat across from him.  Pennington sniffed loudly as he looked out the window.
“Pennington,” Mario said, “you do realize that there isn’t even a police station at Poshley Heights, don’t you?”  It was true.  Poshley Heights was filled with only the wealthiest and most famous people.  None of them were crooks, and they needed no police department.
“Yes, Mario, I just thought of that…We’re going to have to keep Professor Bom-Bers locked up on the train until we get back to Rougeport.  I think that Don Pianta and some of his crew will be able to help me get the answers out of the Bom-Omb…”  Mario nodded.  Pennington told Mario that they should just relax now that they seemed to have the murderer captured and away with.  Mario nodded at this statement.  It was true, there could now be a lot more relaxation.
Pennington got up and left Mario sitting at the table.  â€œGood night, Pennington.”
“Good night, my boy…”
As Pennington left, and Mario was left in the dark, empty Dining Hall, a chill raced up his spine.  There was still the thought of them catching the wrong suspect…what id Bom-Bers was telling the truth…was the murderer still out there?

It is better to be sworn to an honest fool than to a lying scholar.  ~  Eragon from the book Eldest by Christopher Paolini.  

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2005, 10:52:24 AM »
Chapter 27:  Guilt ~ Mario awoke to the clickety clack sound of the train tracks under the express.  He opened his eyes and peered out the window.  To his surprise, it was raining.  Droplets of water pittered and pattered across the window as low rumble sof thunder sound across the sky.  Mario sat up in his bed and rubbed his eyes, blood rushing to his head.  He slowly tried to rethink what had happened last night.  As he looked around the room at all his sleeping friends, he suddenly remembered Professor Bom-Bers and how he was accused for murder last night.  Mario suddenly felt a tad nervous for some, unknown reason…perhaps it was because Mario didn’t truly believe that Bom-Bers was the murderer.  Something in his gut simply told him otherwise.  There was hardly any proof to conclude this theory, other than having Professor Frankly’s stolen discovery found in his room, but anyone could have easily framed him for that.  However, Mario knew exactly how Pennington was feeling, for he felt it too.  Stress.  This whole murderer mystery was so stressful, that Pennington was to the point where he’d simply pounce on anyone if they had the slightest clue that they were the murderer.  However, finding Frankly’s missing discovery was not a slight clue.  Whoever murdered Frankly was the same person who stole the discovery, according to Pennington’s research.  But last night, while Mario was sitting with Bom-Bers, he felt pity.  He felt a great deal of sorrow for the Bom-Omb.  Sitting there, being strictly accused without any real, solid proof.  Mario felt an enormous amount of guilt on his shoulders as he thought that even though he thought it was wrong, he would still allow Bom-Bers to be framed.  This was probably the first time Mario had ever taken the easy way out.
Mario quietly climbed out of bed, his feet touching the soft, red carpet below.  The train felt cold now, probably because of the rainy weather.  Mario walked over to the window, curling up his toes as to try to keep them warm.  He looked out at the trees passing him by, and the thick, gray clouds suspended in the air, flashes of lightning illuminating them brilliantly.  Mario followed the raindrops along the window with his eyes as he watched them slowly drift down to the windowsill, then flying off to hit the ground, where they would remain.
Mario put on his shoes, and combed down his hair.  He grabbed his red cap from the dresser top and placed it firmly on his head.  Mario slowly, and quietly opened the door and looked out into the hallway.  It was just as cold, if not colder, out there.  Mario entered the hallway, sliding the door closed behind him.  Normally, he would go into the Dining Hall to eat some breakfast, mingle with the other passengers, or just to think about the mystery.  However, the mystery of the death of Professor Frankly was now solved, and none of this was truly needed anymore.  This morning he would go to visit the engineer and see when they were to get to Poshley Heights, for it had been quite a long journey so far.  Mario crossed the floor, passing door numbers 4 and then 3.  Then Mario came to the empty table at the end of the hall that was supposed to be holding the vase of flowers.  Mario’s stomach churned dangerously as he looked at the empty space on the table, thunder roaring outside.  He strangely became frightened and quickly walked past the table, and into the next boxcar.  The mystery of the missing flower vase was still not solved.  Although it could have easily been that after the murder, Bom-Bers (or whoever the murderer was) could have snuck out at night when no one was looking, taken the vase, and put it in the Shadow Sirens’ room, hoping to get them framed.  But still, this was not a proven fact and there were still so many questions that needed an answer in this mystery.  And Mario had a strange desire to solve them…
Mario walked by room number 2 and 1, thinking of how relieved Bow, Bootler, and Mister and Missus Yoshers must feel now that the so-called murderer was caught.  Did they really believe that Bom-Bers was the murderer, or did they just want to point the finger at anyone but them? Mario opened the door that lead to the train engine.  It was a place that had quite a bit of brilliant technology, along with a large window in the front, where the tracks could be seen, along with whatever may be in front of the train.  The engineer, a Toad wearing a black engineer suit, was at the front of the engine, looking out the window and keeping in eye of the button and levers in front of him.
“Excuse me,” Mario said politely.  The train engineer turned around to greet Mario.
“Hello there,” he said, “May I help you, Mario?”
“Yes, I was wondering when we would be arriving to Poshley Heights.”
“When we’ll arrive at Poshley Heights, hmmm… Well, I would make an estimate somewhere around this afternoon.”
“Would we be getting there in time for the Grande Theatre?”
“Oh yes, most definitely.”
Mario nodded and thanked the engineer for his help, then turned on his heel and left.  Everything was still rather quiet on the train, except for the gentle sound of the rain, and the fierce blows of the rumbling thunder.  Mario walked back through the halls, trying to divert his eyes away from the vase-empty table, and made his way into the Dining Hall, since he really didn’t know where else he would be going.  He took a table by the window, as usual, and waited for the waitress to come by.  He didn’t realize it, but he really was quite hungry.  The cold air of the train kept Mario’s tiredness at bay, as he held his head in the palm of his hands gazing out the window.  Just then, Toadina, the beautiful Toad waitress noticed Mario and quickly walked over to serve him.
Mario had ordered bacon, coffee, and some shroom eggs, a good meal for the early morning.
“It’ll be right out,” the Toad waitress said, as she happily waltzed away.  As Mario sat at the table, looking out the window, he thought of all his adventures he had had during this.  Sailing across the sea with Goombella, and Bobbery, bumping into pirates.  Doing Don Pianta’s bidding and exploring a cave, beating that dangerous piranha plant.  Then of course, arriving on the train, meeting with the suspects, having quite an experience with ghosts, and trying to solve a murder mystery.  This was an adventure Mario would never forget.  The waitress came back rather quickly with Mario’s food.
“So is it true?” she asked, “Is Bom-Bers really the murderer?”
“Well…” said Mario, “we think so…”
“Wow…that quiet little Bom-Omb…never would’ve guessed it.  I guess you have to look out for the quiet ones, don’t you?  Huh…Well, enjoy the food!”
Mario sat there, picking at his food.  He suddenly wasn’t very hungry anymore.

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2005, 10:22:53 PM »
Chapter 28:  Arrival ~ What a long, and tiresome journey it had been.  Mario was quite tired of all this mystery business, and wasn’t even sure that he would want to know that truth about Professor Bom-Bers or not.  Just the thought of it made him sick to the stomach.  This evening, though, would bring relief and joy to most of the passengers, for this evening they would finally reach their arrival point.  Poshely Heights, where most everyone would be seeing the opening play for the Grande Theatre.  What a thrilling performance it would be!  In fact, now, after all this terribly disturbing and somewhat unwelcome mystery was solved, seeing the play almost seemed like a long-earned reward for being able to withstand the mystery, as if they even had a choice to begin with.  It was obvious that Peach and Toadsworth were happy about it, but they also were looking deep enough into the mystery.  Goombella, however, seemed to.  She too was wondering whether or not Pennington was correct about his accusing of Professor Bom-Bers.  But, she didn’t seem to look too much into it, considering she seemed now to be finished with Professor Frankly’s scrolls, either because she had completed and translated all of them, or she grew bored of them, and found them confusing, and now she grew very curious with Professor Frankly’s missing discovery.  Pennington decided he would keep the discovery, and figure it out for himself.  After all, Professor Frankly was going to consult Pennington about it in the first place, so who else would fit for the reward better than he?
Goombella was stubborn, though.  She simply insisted on Pennington showing her the missing discovery.  But Pennington seemed to be greedy about it, never showing her the book, yet hardly ever reading it himself.  So, through with scrolls, and not being able to study anything new, Goombella had more time to think, which caused her to constantly think about her dear mentor’s death more than ever, which caused her to normally be in a depressed like state most of the time.  Mario hated to see her like this.  He had always been used to the sassy, smart Goombella, who was full of energy.  But Mario couldn’t blame her.  It had been a terrible loss, and those mysterious scrolls really did put her emotions on hold for a while.
Mario walked through the same sliding door he had walked through many times on this train ride, and entered the very familiar Dining Hall. He looked over to see Goombella and Bow sitting at a table by the window, the same table Mario often sat at.  Mario approached the table, able to hear a little of their conversation so far.
“Believe me, my dear, death is only a mere step in life!  For me, a very graceful and beautiful step.  Mweh heh heeh!” Bow laughed, fanning her make-up covered face with her fluffy pink fan rapidly.  Apparently, she was trying to cheer up Goombella.  It didn’t seem to be working very well.  The weather certainly couldn’t have been helping, for it was still pouring outside, and the wind was still pounding on the express, tilting the chandeliers.  Bow saw Mario coming and scooted over for him to sit.
“Mario dear!  Please, come sit,” she said in her fancy, pompous voice.  Mario did as she told him.  Goombella was looking at the table, a sad look on her face.
“Oh, hello Mario,” Goombella said more quietly than usual.
“Hello Goombella,” Mario said.  He would have loved to say ‘What a pleasant say we’re having, isn’t it?’ but obviously, looking outside, that was a far too optimistic statement.  Poor, poor Goombella, Mario thought.  Perhaps she is feeling the same way I am.  That perhaps we did not catch the right suspect, and that we failed to establish justice on Frankly’s behalf… It was such a terrible thought, and Mario felt depressed and nauseas thinking of it.  Frankly’s poor soul, trapped upon this train for good, like the toad ghost that haunts the express.
“Honestly Goombella, these things happen.  You really just have to let them go, and move on… Find interests, or hobbies!” Bow said.
“Like what?” asked Goombella.
“Well…” said Bow, biting on her fan as she thought, “How about traveling?  Yes, of course!  There’s simply nothing like traveling.  Why, when I was bored in my old, dusty mansion, I decided to travel the world!  I went to Glitzville, Toad Town, even the terribly hot Dry Dry Outpost, but I don’t regret any of it!  It was fun, and Bootler made sure I had the time of my life.  In fact, this is my second trip to Poshley Heights!  I simply love that place…so sophisticated… seems to suit me well… yes, indeed…” Bow appeared to be focusing on herself a little much once again.  She tended to do that during conversations.  Goombella didn’t appear to be listening any more though, anyways.  Quite frankly, neither was Mario.  She was rambling on and on about something or other, like how she used to own a poodle, or something like that, and Mario simply watched the water droplets slide across the window while Goombella stared at the wooden table, as though she was waiting for it to move.
“-but you know, I thought Princess was such a common name, and I wanted something unique like…Victoria.  But no, my foolish little sister just wouldn’t let me name her!  I mean sure she was her dog but…wait…” Bow looked up at the clock.  â€œOh I’m terribly sorry you two, I promised Bootler a game of bingo today over tea.  Quite a lonely ghost he is.”  Bow floated up from the table.  â€œOh, and Goombella, chin up, darling, things will get better…or at least…they usually tend to.”  Goombella looked at Bow and smiled as the ghost girl floated away.

~BING BONG BING BING!~ “Attention passengers, we will be arriving at Poshley Heights shortly, we will be arriving at Poshley Heights shortly.  Thank you once again for choosing the Excess Express. *Click*” The announcements were seeming to be less friendly and less friendly each day.  Mario was relieved that he was finally going to be able to touch solid ground once more.  Everyone was getting their things together as the conductor came around each room, collecting the people’s items to store them away in their bags in the baggage boxcar.  Mario, Peach, Goombella, and Toadsworth all handed the conductor their unpacked items of clothing as he continued around to each room.  Mario made his bed, as did the others, and Mario thought of his first night here on the Express.  What a worrisome night that had been.  It felt so good to get this murder mystery thing out of the way.  Like having a large weight simply lifted off of his shoulders.
“I can’t wait to see the show!” Peach exclaimed, “I hear it’s going to be fantastic!”
“Of course it will!” said Toadsworth, “It has to be with the money we’ll be paying!”  There was still a little time left before they arrived.  Peach and Toadsworth decided to go to the Dining Hall to get something to eat.
“I believe I need to talk with you, Princess, about this whole Bowser situation you keep having…it’s really beginning to be quite a problem…” Toadsworth said, as he and Peach left the room.  Mario looked over at Goombella who seemed to have cheered up a little bit.
“I’ll see you later Mario,” she said, “I’m going to…go…too.”
“Alright,” Mario said, “I’ll see you then.”  Goombella left the room rather quickly, her pony tail dashing behind the door along with her, and the door quickly sliding closed.  What is she being so mysterious about? Mario asked himself.  He looked over at the rain-drenched window and yawned.  He had time to figure that question out later, for now he decided that he would take a little nap before the big show.  He climbed up to the top bunk.  It was now neatly made, the comforter tucked into the sides of the bed.  Mario crawled up to the top and snuggled under the covers.  He had always simply used the sheets of the bed, always letting Goombella use his comforter.  It was so much more comfortable now.  Mario felt the sway of the train, and listened to the train, and the clickety clack of the tracks.  How relaxing it was…

--Shhhhh-Shhh-*click*--  Mario opened his eyes.  Someone had just opened and closed the sliding door into room number five.  Apparently, whoever it was thought Mario was still asleep.  Mario’s heart began to race.  Could it be the true murderer?  He stared blankly at the ceiling, not able to see who the culprit was without looking over the side of the bed and revealing himself.  He heard someone walking across the room, and then sitting down in the couch.  He heard the flipping pages of a book.  Mario stayed still for a while still, hoping that the person would not recognize that he was laying there, or that he was awake.  He listened hard for the tiniest sound of conversation.  Could there be two people inside?  It was completely hushed, except for the still sound of the rain outside.  How long had Mario been asleep, anyways?  Was this person entering and reentering the whole time he was asleep?
“Hmmm…” he heard someone say.  Mario recognized the voice.  He looked over and saw that it was only Goombella, sitting on the couch reading a book.  Mario sighed.
“Oh…Goombella it’s just you,” Mario said.  Goombella seemed to be quickly trying to hide the book.  The book looked awfully familiar.
“Oh, uh…Hi Mario,” Goombella said, trying to act casual.
“What book is that?” Mario asked.  Goombella continued to try and hide the book as Mario sat up.
“Um…just…a book…” she replied.
“It looks really familiar…” Mario said, “Goombella, just tell me.”  Goombella seemed very reluctant as she replied,
“I took this book from Pennington as he was sleeping.”  Mario’s heart skipped a beat.
“Stole a book?!  Goombella, the penguin’s a detective!  What book is it?”
Goombella flinched, “Its…Frankly’s discovery.”
“What?!” Mario cried.  â€œGoombella!  You have to return that!  That’s evidence!  You heard what Pennington said!”  Goombella sighed.
“Fine…I was just curious, that’s all…besides I only got to read one page after you woke up…Yes…but that was my mentor’s handwriting all right…good old Professor Frankly…”
“You better return the book soon,” Mario said, “Pennington could wake up any second!  This is a crime, you know!”
“All right, all right!” Goombella said as she hurriedly got up from the couch and darted out the door.  It was obvious that Mario had made her nervous about being caught as well.
A little while later Goombella returned to the room, to see Mario had remade the bed.
“Did he see you?” asked Mario as he took a seat on the lower half of the bunk bed.
“No,” replied Goombella, “he didn’t.”
“Good…there could have been severe consequences if he did.”
“I don’t even see what the big deal is.  I was Frankly’s right hand Goomba!  Pennington hardly reads the thing anyways…”
“He’s obviously tired from the long trip.  Now, come on, lets go-“
~BING BONG BING BING!~
“Attention passengers, we are now arriving at Poshley Heights, we are now arriving at Poshley Heights.  Please form an orderly line by the door, and prepare your belongings.  Your luggage will be hand delivered to you’re hotel.  Thank you for choosing the Excess Express for your traveling needs.  Have a nice day! *click*”  Mario exchanged glances with Goombella.
“Well,” Mario said, “lets go.”

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2005, 11:38:30 PM »
Wow.  I guess I really got lucky with The Mushroom Kingdom’s Annual Ball.
But my stories will never die!  So here’s the next, very very short chapter:

Chapter 29:  The Luxurious Poshley Heights ~ Mario stood in line behind Toadsworth who stood in line behind Peach.  Goombella stood behind Mario.
“Its about time we’ve arrived here!” Peach exclaimed.
“Indeed, my dear princess-“
“Stop agreeing with me,” Peach interrupted Toadsworth.  The door in front of them was slid open by the Toad Conductor on the other side as the people began moving forward.  Mario could practically smell the fresh, warm, clean air of Poshley Heights in front of him, and could picture the neatly cut rose bushes in his mind.  Mario finally made it to the door and stepped out into the warm air.  The stars shone beautifully, and clearly in the sky, and the dark, neatly cut grass swayed peacefully in the wind.
“Welcome to Poshley Heights!” the Toad Conductor said.  Everyone was in awe as they looked about.  The fancy houses, the clean streets, it was wonderful.
Three other Toad Conductors suddenly passed them by, hauling each one of the guests’ luggage (one having a particularly hard time with Sir Grodus’ enormous black suit case).
“Hear you are,” said the Toad Conductor, handing a small slip of paper to Mario, and then a slip of paper to the other passengers as well, except for Pennington and Lord Crump.
“On these tickets is noted the room of the hotel that you will be staying in.  We hope you enjoy out five-star hotel as much as our other guests.” And with that he walked back inside the train.  Mario looked on his card.  It read room #45.  That was a very high floor.
Suddenly, a small round object came bouncing up to Lord Crump.  After closer examination, Mario realized that it was, indeed, the head of the once high-ruling Sir Grodus.
“Lord Crump,” Sir Grodus said, “it’s about time you’re back!”
“Er…Greetings Sir Grodus,” Lord Crump said.
“Lord Crump, next time actually TELL me where you’re going!  Don’t just leave some stupid note!”
“I’m sorry, sir, I just…didn’t really have time.”
“Ah, whatever.  Come on!  You can feed me tator tots.  The other X-Nauts aren’t very willing to do this,” said Sir Grodus as he began hoping down the road to a blue house, apparently where he, Lord Crump and the X-Nauts lived.
“Oh…goodie,” said Lord Crump quietly as he followed the little bouncing head.  They were like an old bickering couple.  Oh how far the X-Nauts have dropped.
“Come Bootler,” said Bow as the glided towards the hotel, past two marvelous golden gates, “you can pour me a glass of the fabulous wine that you’ve been hiding from me.”
“What?!  I mean…how did you..? *clears throat*  Of course, my Lady Bow,” said Bootler awkwardly as he followed his mistress.  Mister and Missus Yoshers silently parted along with the Shadow Sirens.
“Well Mario old boy,” Pennington said, “I’ll see you at the play tonight.  As for me, I’ll be heading over to my old Sanctum to read what my good old friend had written in this book of his…farewell.”
“Farewell,” Mario said back as he watched Pennington heading down the road.
“Mario,” Peach suddenly said behind him, in her soft voice.
“Yes, princess?” asked Mario.
“What room number are you?”
“I’m,” said Mario, checking his ticket again, “number 45.”
“Oh my,” said Peach, “I’m number nineteen.”
“So am I!” said Toadsworth.  Peach sighed.
“And you, Goombella?” asked Mario.
“Number six,” she replied.  They all had very different numbers.
“Well, I’m going to go and freshen up,” said Princess Peach, “being on that train has really not been very good for my hair!”
“I’ll come with you!” Toadsworth said as he began chasing Peach down the road to the hotel.
“I think I’ll go inside too,” said Goombella, “I’ll see you at the show tonight Mario.”
“Yeah, I’ll see you at the show,” Mario replied.

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2005, 03:20:11 PM »
WOW!!! You're stories are great! Maybe when you grow up, you can help make the story line for the next Paper Mario game. Also, don't mind Glorb. He's just mad.

Naruto, Code:Lyoko, Zatch Bell, Bomberman, and Mario Pwns.

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2005, 07:30:42 PM »
Horrah someone posted in this topic other than me!
Thank you very much Aarom, I take that as a high copmliment.

I would write the next chapter, but I have two huge projects to do.
Gotta keep up with honors!

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2005, 09:17:32 PM »
Oh, you thought there were no more chapters, but guess what – HERE’S ANOTHER CHAPTER!!!…
(In this chapter, the plot thickens...)

Chapter 30:  Discovery ~  *Ding*….*Ding*…*Ding*… Mario heard as he stood inside the elevator, watching the buttons on the wall light up as he passed each floor.  He was very tired tonight, and didn’t feel much like socializing right now, and he still had a few hours left before the big play.  Mario tried not to think of the murder.  He tried not to think of his terrible doubting of the quick conclusion of Professor Bom-Bers being the killer.  He wanted to take the easy way this time.  Nice guys finish last, he had to remember that.  There was no use trying to solve an already solved case.  That was just frustrating…
But Mario couldn’t help himself.
All he could think of was the poor ghost of Professor Frankly, doomed to stay in room number four.  -*DING!*-  The button that read number forty-five lit up in the elevator, and the doubles doors opened up.  Mario stepped across a small, narrow hall way and stopped in front of a wooden door that read #45.  Mario turned the brass door knob, and stepped into his hotel room.  It was very classy.  Even better than the room in the Excess Express.  There was a large, clean bed against one wall, with rubber, green plants to add to the decorative design of the room, along with miraculous paintings hung from the gentle, rosy pink walls.  There was even a comfortable looking couch at the end of the room, accompanied by to arm chairs on both sides, the couch facing a warm fireplace.  Mario saw that the Toad conductors of the train had already brought in Mario’s luggage and had apparently packed it all away in the dresser that stood against one of the walls.  It was quite an invasion of privacy, but as Mario examined his clothing he found all his overalls and shirts to be neatly folded and organized to his liking.  No wonder it was a five-star hotel.
Mario couldn’t think of anything better to do than lie down on his nice, soft bed.  Mario walked over to his large hotel bed, and let himself fall into the softness.  Mario crawled to the head of the bed, and laid his head down on the soft, fluffy pillow.  He felt something hard as he tried to get comfortable, and realized that he was laying his head down on a mint.  The reached under and pulled out the pillow mint, laying it down on the small desk beside him.
As soon as Mario began to feel himself drifting off into a hazy sleep:  *Knock*Knock*Knock*
Mario opened his eyes.  He wanted more than anything to just lay there and hope that the person at the door would leave, but since whoever was at the door obviously knew that Mario was in here it would be considered rude and anti-social to answer the door.  Mario reluctantly got out of the comfortable bed and made his way over to the door.  He looked through the peek whole to see who it was.  It was none other than Goombella. Mario opened the door.
“Why, hello Goombella,” said Mario.
“Hey Mario,” said Goombella, “sorry to disturb you and all, but I feel like a simply need to ask you…Are you positively sure that Professor Bom-Bers was the murderer..?”
“Well,” said Mario, “I think he might be…I’m not really sure.”  Mario wanted to tell Goombella straight out what he truly thought, but Goombella has gone through enough as it is, and doesn’t need to stress her mind so much anymore.
“Really?” asked Goombella.
“….Yeah,” Mario replied.
“Well……Alright.  Hearing that from you, Mario, just seems to really help…” said Goombella, looking towards the ground.  â€œWell, see you tonight.”  She turned around and began heading for the elevator door.
“Wait,” said Mario.
Goombella turned, “Yes Mario?”
“Did you happen to catch the title of Frankly’s discovery, by any chance?”
Goombella looked into the air, thinking for a while, and then said;
“Oh right, the title.  Uhhh…I forget the exact title, but it was something about _______.”
Mario’s eyes widened.
“Does that help with anything, Mario?” asked Goombella, once she saw his expression.
“Uhhh-h-hh…It might, Goombella…er…so, yeah I’ll see you tonight!”
“Yeah,” said Goombella awkwardly, “see you tonight.”
Mario closed the door and looked back into his hotel room, listening to the sound of his heart beat and his stomach churn, his breath short and fast.  â€˜Don’t jump to conclusions, Mario,’ he said to himself…
It could be anyone, really…
…But with this small piece of evidence…
… ‘No,’ he thought, ‘now you’re definitely jumping to conclusions…’
Mario felt his heart steady as he looked back towards his bed.  No…there was no solid evidence behind what Goombella had just said…but still…there was the possibility…

Was/Were they/she/he the murder/murderers?…

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2005, 10:34:05 AM »
Okay, I might have lost my password...and my email isn't working...so my next story might have to be on a different user name...

:-(

EDIT:  Hooray!  Nevermind!

Edited by - The Blue Toad on 10/22/2005 9:42:59 AM

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »
Goodness, this is long!  I'm going to have top read this all on a long weekend or holiday or something.

“Of all the people I know, it is expected that Watoad will say ‘cheese’ first.”
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2005, 09:32:41 PM »
*kicks himself for not keeping up with the story*

Keep up the good work, TBT!

_______
j00r 73h r0x0r, d00d!
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2005, 07:12:26 PM »
Is there any more chapters?
Mario rocks and so does Petey Piranha!

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2005, 07:58:52 PM »
Yes. It may be posted by a new TBT though.

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2005, 03:44:59 PM »
Hey everyone.  I have not been to the Forums in such a long time.  So I went to check up on you all, and the Forums were “temporarily out-of-order” and lately I couldn’t get my mind off of this story that I haven’t updated in a looong time, and I think I’m letting school get the best of me.  Sorry for not updating, people.

Chapter ____:  Postponed  ~  Mario combed his hair as he gazed upon his round face in the fancy, gold-rimmed mirror located in his hotel room.  Mario had done some thinking over what he had just discovered, and it made perfect sense.  He wondered why he even panicked in the first place.  I suppose he just thought of it as some sort of sign, that’s all.  But once he thought about it, it all seemed to piece in all right. 
As of right now, he was getting ready for the grand opening of the Grande Theatre starring Flurrie and Doopliss.  Mario straightened his red bow tie against his “snazzy” black suit. 
Yes, thought Mario, I simply jumped to a conclusion, that’s all.  I mean, really.  Simply denying the entire case over a tiny clue.  No, nay, not tiny, miniscule.  A miniscule clue better describes it. 
What are you talking about?  Said another side of Mario; That clue could be the whole case right there!  You need to run it over with Pennington!  You have to!
No, said the other side, it is fine, simply give it a rest.  Justice had been served…though it was whether or not that justice was served correctly is what bothered him. 
*Knock*Knock*Knock*
“Hey Mario!  Are you ready for the show?” called Goombella from behind Mario’s door. 
“Yeah, I’ll be there in a second!” Mario called back. 
Mario fixed his tie once more while looking in the mirror and nodded to his reflection.  He made his way across the luxurious room and made a halt at the door.  He grabbed the gold door knob and swung open the door to find Goombella, looking slightly different.  She had taken off her helmet and tied her blonde hair back into a tight ponytail with a glossy red ribbon.  She had put on more cosmetics than usual, and was wearing an elegant red dress with high heals.
“Wow, Mario, you sure clean up nice!” she said looking at Mario from head to toe and back again.
“Thanks…” said Mario feeling a tad awkward, “…and you look-“
“UGH!  I hate what I’m wearing!  The sooner this play is over the better!” said Goombella giving a particularly evil glare towards her high heals which were now in place of her regular, comfortable, brown ones.  Mario and Goombella walked towards the elevator and pressed the down button. 
They made it down to the main floor of the hotel where they each departed the hotel and into the fresh, dark night.  It was now very late, and many people (mainly very wealthy or famous) were busily bustling about, gossiping about the show and exclaiming at how marvelous it would be. 
“Wow,” said Goombella, “sure does reak of money around here.  I…I think I’m going to go find my seat for the show.  You coming?” 
Mario was staring over at the little blue house on the corner, which belonged to the once fearsome, now gentle, X-Nauts.  The head of Sir Grodus was looking around anxiously as though he was looking for someone. 
“Mario?” repeated Goombella.
“Huh?” said Mario, returning his gaze to her, “Oh, right.  Um…I’ll catch up with you later.”
“Alright,” Goombella replied, “I’ll see you there.”
And with that she walked through the crowd of noisy, gossiping aristocrats and through the gates to wear the new Grande Theatre was located.  Mario quickly looked over, and to his strange delight, Sir Grodus was still there.  Mario walked down the steps leading to the streets and made his way over to the little blue dome, which was now Sir Grodus. 
I wonder if he’ll even talking to me after what I’ve done to him, Mario thought.  You see, Mario had given Sir Grodus a beating when he was trying to awaken the Shadow Queen.  Sir Grodus had managed to get away, and a few bruises and scratches, and succeeded in his plan of awakening the Shadow Queen.  So then he tried to command the evil demand, and claimed himself to be her master.  It was then that she destroyed him, leaving him with nothing but his head.
That wasn’t one of his better days.
“Hello, Grodus,” Mario said, clearing his throat. 
Sir Grodus suddenly turned his gaze to Mario and glared.
“Mario,” he said in a taunting voice.  “Will you please leave me alone?  I’m looking for Crump…that idiot…”
“Crump?”  Mario repeated.
“Yes, Lord Crump…Where is that stupid Crump…He told me that he’d escort me through the crowd and to the Grande Theatre!” Sir Grodus said, hopping angrily. 
“Oh,” Mario said, “well, good luck with that.”
Mario departed from the awkward scene just in time.  Everyone seemed to be slowly moving through the streets towards the theatre. 
Sir Grodus angrily growled as he slumped back on the front step of his blue house in a relaxed position. 
Mario walked through the crowd, trying to get a good view of the Grande Theatre.
Mario stood uncomfortably close behind a slender Toad woman who anxiously waited behind the rest of the crowd.  Mario kept his eyes to the crowd as the crowd slowly inched forward.
What an adventure he had been through.  He remembered when he first heard about the murder.  He had been filled with deep sorrow, and depression.  Then, waiting for the boat to Rougeport by the Mushroom Kingdom docks. 
And of course, how could he possibly forget the amazing adventure he had on the S.S. Charlette!  The koopa pirates, visiting Admiral Bobbery again, exploring that dark cave with Goombella. 
It had been quite eventful here.
Then, of course, there was the highly anticipated expedition on the Excess Express.  Meeting all the suspects, squeezing his brain for any slight clue to drop out.  The mysterious Mr. Yoshers, and his shy wife.  The black-hearted Beldam, her silent sister Marilyn, and the innocent Vivian.  The seductive Bow with her loyal butler, Bootler.  The blunderous, clumsy Lord Crump, and the worrisome Professor Bom-Bers. 
Mario had known that they would be exiting the train with one less passenger, but didn’t know for sure what he was preparing himself for.  Professor Bom-Bers was apparently that passenger, but it strangely just didn’t feel right.  Mario wasn’t feeling the sense of satisfactory knowing that the murderer was found, and that was because he simply couldn’t convince himself that he was the murderer. 
Every time Mario thought of this his stomach would turn to knots.  The story was over, wasn’t it?  The murderer was caught, that’s that.  No.  Something didn’t feel right.  Mario looked up to the sky at the many stars in the sky, and spotted the enormous crescent moon floating in the dark sky.  Mario had been to the moon.  Several times, actually.  Each adventure on the moon brought a new surprise, yet he had been there so many times over the years.  It was the same place as always, just with different adventures.  Suddenly Mario heard the slender Toad lady in front of him gasp. 
Mario looked in head of her to see what he was slowly walking towards.  The Grande Theatre sat in front of a pearly white fountain, as still as it’s glory built into it. 
It was an enormous, glamorous building made of marble.  The oak door in the front was positively enormous as it sat wide open.  Inside, the doors were lined with two velvet red curtains, and looked as though some sort of chandelier lit up the inside with a warm texture and moving atmosphere.  Although this was all breath taking, Mario couldn’t help but notice that no one was entering the Grande Theatre. 
Everyone was simply standing on the stairs that lead to the giant oak doors, being held back by six security guards. 
Mario pushed himself as far through the crowd as he could until he was stuck behind a rather large Cheep Cheep that would simply not budge.
“Mario?” said the sweet, soft sound of Peach’s voice.  Mario turned his head to see Princess Peach and Toadsworth. 
Peach was wearing a frillier pink dress than usual and had her hair tied up into a stylish bun, her cheecks rosy with make-up.  She even held her white parasol over her blonde head, casting her body in an entrancing blue shadow.  Toadsworth stood next to her wearing a glossy black vest, a white collar shirt, with a red bow tie. 
“Peach!” Mario said, “what’s going on?”
“I’m not sure,” Peach replied.  She turned to Toadsworth, “Toadsworth, go see what’s going on.” 
Toadsworth simply stared at Peach for a moment and then said, “Of course, Princess……Excuse me, large fellow, I’m going to need you to move out of my way.”
Toadsworth squeezed past the enormous Cheep Cheep and began his descent to the Grande Theatre. 
“It is a truly amazing building, isn’t it?” said Peach. 
“Yes,” Mario replied, admiring the fine craftsmanship of the romantic fountain flowing brilliantly in the light of the looming moon. 
What could be the trouble at the Theatre?  Mario asked himself.  “Perhaps they’re simply having technical difficulties,” Mario thought allowed.
“That could be,” Peach replied, staring at the gallant Theatre.
Mario could only imagine Madame Flurrie in there, powdering her nose and practicing her gallant solos.  She truly was a magnificent actress.  He had seen one of her plays.  She had acted in The Wizard of Oz as Glenda, the witch of the North.  It was a wonderful play, and Mario believed that it was a marvelous performance.  He couldn’t wait to see her in the grand opening.
“Oh, hey there Mario,” said a voice from behind him.  Mario turned to see Goombella.
“Hi Goombella,” Mario replied.  “Do you know what the hold up for the theatre is?”
“Yeah.  Apparently one of the actors was missing for a while, and just showed up.  They just have to get him ready, or something.  They say it’s gonna be another hour or so with practice rehearsals.
“Oh,” said Mario.
“Really?” Peach said from behind, “Well then there’s no need to wait around here.”
Peach left rather anxiously back towards the hotel, looking around her shoulder to see if Toadsworth was getting back yet. 
“Yeah, I guess I’ll head back to the hotel as well,” Mario said.  “See you around, Goombella.”
“Yep.  I’ll be waiting here!” Goombella said as Mario back-tracked through the crowd once more.

Print