Print

Author Topic: Do you have an accent?  (Read 16163 times)

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 01:28:28 PM »
If some of the stuff I'm saying doesn't make sense, then that's okay; I wouldn't have understood it myself (or even said it in the first place) if not for the Linguistics class I just took.

First of all, I was incorrect; it's actually called Canadian Raising. If you follow that link, then click the links in the table there to get a feel for what Canadian Raising sounds like.

According to that page, only two of the three diphthongs in English are affected by Canadian Raising. Let me attempt to explain this. A diphthong is a vowel sound that actually consists of two different sounds, but we usually think of it as just one. Take a look:

• The underlined sound in bake isn't just a strong a sound, but the e (as in Japanese sensei) and y (as in yes) sounds combined. This diphthong is represented phonetically as [ej]. (The phonetic symbol for the y sound is [j].)
  • Likewise, the underlined sound in bite is a combination of a (as in Japanese katana) and y. This diphthong is represented phonetically as [aj].
  • Finally, the underlined sound in rope is a combination of o (as in the Japanese pronunciation of Mario) and w (as in will). This diphthong is represented phonetically as [ow].

Supposedly only the first two diphthongs above are susceptible to Canadian Raising, but I notice the difference in you particularly with the third one. Instead of saying [Watowd], you seem to say [Watʊwd] (where [ʊ] is the sound in book). The science of what is happening to the vowel is the same as the real Canadian Raising, but since it isn't officially recognized, I guess that makes you an alien. Good job, Alien Lizard Dude! ::)

As for the difference between the /a/ and /œ/ sounds, the movement of the tongue from the first to the second isn't one of raising but of moving forward a little. Compare how your tongue feels when saying the respective sounds in pot and pat, and you might see what I mean.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 01:33:38 PM by Watoad »
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 01:52:57 PM »
According to Sapph's test:

55% General American English
30% Yankee
15% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Though, I would say I don't have any thick accent at all. My parents have slight New Yorker accents (my father grew up in Queens, my mother, in New Jersey (NOT Joisey)), but that is nowhere to be found in my brother, my sister and I, though I can "fake" a New Yorker accent pretty well.

For the most part, I speak in a normal (whatever you would call normal) way. Though, at times, my short "a" sounds a bit in between a short and long "a" (think "air", without the r sound). Other than that, I speak like a no-accented person...thing.

Though, here are a few examples of my parents speaking:
"Alissa, do you want a hamburguh, or a cheeseburguh?"
"Remember when Alissa still played with Bawbie dolls?"
"There's the eggzit, over there!"
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 03:04:21 PM »
I have an alien accent.

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 03:07:01 PM »
I have an asian-accent, since I was born in the islands of Philipines. Gosh, so hard to type up Philipines.
Whenever I say something with a very big tounge move, like 'lick', big wads of spit go in every direction. Happily, it is rare now a days.
*spits on monitor*

I like this topic.
Most Wishy-Washy

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 03:18:45 PM »
A Myrtle Beach man informed me and my father that we have Michigan accents.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 04:50:13 PM »
Fellow Ohioans gather! I'm Polish and everyone thinks its weird that I hiss my "S's".
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 04:51:59 PM »
Ohio COnvention right here. 3 Ohio posts in a row.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 04:55:52 PM »
Buckeyes!!!!!!!! (__) A buckeye!
Tony Packo's!!! Gino's Pizza!!! Football!!!!
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 06:12:41 PM »
I was looking around in the topic: "What does your voice sound like?", and I already heard alot of people's voices. I would like to hear more of you, though.

I would record myself, but I'm nervous. :-[

Watoad's voice sounds EXCACTLY like my friend! And Deezer's voice sounds similar to my brother, except for the accent. I want to hear Mr.Melee, dude677, Vidgmchtr(error in his last link), and Sapphira's voice. I'm just curious because of how they type.

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 06:13:28 PM »
I have a Philippino accent.

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 06:29:35 PM »
i have a californian accent
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 06:52:42 PM »
And Deezer's voice sounds similar to my brother, except for the accent.
What accent do I have?

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 06:57:16 PM »
What accent do I have?
American accent. We are from Scottland, so...

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 06:59:32 PM »
Oh, that's right.

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2005, 07:14:34 PM »
I was born in the "mysterious" land of the north, and have that kind of accent, apparently.  I don't ever notice it, but when I went down to Kentucky, everyone seemed to point it out...

EDIT:  I live in MN, by the way.
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Print