Print

Author Topic: donkey kong games are so lame now  (Read 11795 times)

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 06:31:24 PM »
How did they go downhill Junglebeat was amazing,we have diddy kong racing coming for DS,3 DKC remakes,king of swing and so on.
"A winner is you"

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 06:54:51 PM »
All I'm gonna say is some of the Donkey Kong Country levels are like bad spin offs of the levels from Super Mario Bros.
I suppose you also think some Sonic The Hedgehog levels and levels in any other platform game that isn't made by Nintendo are like "bad spinoffs" of the levels from Super Mario Bros.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 10:07:24 PM »
Wow, I can believe this many people hate DK64. I mean, I knew KoS wasn't that well liked (even though it's my second favorite DK game), but DK64 was a gold mine of fun in my opinion.

I agree 1000% that DK64 was a great game. How can anyone dislike it??? I realize people have different opinions, but my mind boggles, seriously. DK64 is one of the best 3D games ever, IMO, and probably one of the best games ever period. I've played hours upon hours upon hours of it since I got it not too long ago, not getting a bit bored of finding the same bananas over again on different data files. Yes, it is long, and it does involve a LOT of collecting, but every bit of the collecting is pure fun to me, since there's so much variety in the places and ways you collect stuff. And I wouldn't have the game any shorter myself, since the longer a game as great as this is, the more unbelievable fun can be gotten out of it the first time through, and the greater the replay value is. Also, the game is full of amusing and entertaining characters, has awesome music, and has some of the most spectacular boss fights I've ever seen. All this adds up to make DK64 a truly outstanding contribution to video gaming.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 11:20:06 PM »
Considering that Rare lost the vast majority of it's talented team members shortly before leaving Nintendo, I don't see it as a loss, and if Nintendo had kept them, their Donkey Kong games would be just as average as say, Grabbed by the Ghoulies or Kameo or Perfect Dark Disappointment Zero.

And yeah, I did fail to mention Bongo Blast and Mario vs Donkey Kong 2.  I'm personally not too excited about those two right now, but I'll probably give BB a rent when it comes out.  A bongo-driven racer just doesn't fire me up as much as a DKC-style sidescroller would... drool.

Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 on the otherhand, DOES sound like a pretty fun dealio, however, it's more of a puzzler/strategy deal now (you indirectly control the mini-Marios ala Lemmings) when I was hoping for something more like Donkey Kong '94.  So again, I'm not all fired up about it, though I'm sure it'll be a slick game when it comes out (level editor?  Hells yeah!).   
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »
I agree 1000% that DK64 was a great game. How can anyone dislike it??? I realize people have different opinions, but my mind boggles, seriously. DK64 is one of the best 3D games ever, IMO, and probably one of the best games ever period. I've played hours upon hours upon hours of it since I got it not too long ago, not getting a bit bored of finding the same bananas over again on different data files. Yes, it is long, and it does involve a LOT of collecting, but every bit of the collecting is pure fun to me, since there's so much variety in the places and ways you collect stuff. And I wouldn't have the game any shorter myself, since the longer a game as great as this is, the more unbelievable fun can be gotten out of it the first time through, and the greater the replay value is. Also, the game is full of amusing and entertaining characters, has awesome music, and has some of the most spectacular boss fights I've ever seen. All this adds up to make DK64 a truly outstanding contribution to video gaming.
.... And they say it's hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic over the net. Give me a break here, I know people have different opinions, but alot of people I know liked DK64 to a fair extent and I didn't know it was the Mario Sunshine of Donkey Kong games (then again DK64 came first, so I suppose Sunshine is more like the DK64 of Mario games).

Considering that Rare lost the vast majority of it's talented team members shortly before leaving Nintendo, I don't see it as a loss, and if Nintendo had kept them, their Donkey Kong games would be just as average as say, Grabbed by the Ghoulies or Kameo or Perfect Dark Disappointment Zero.
Actually, the amount of people who left Rare is usually over exagirated, and I rember hearing somewhere that a fair majority of the people who left, left because of the whole buyout thing (could be wrong though).

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 06:13:44 AM »
MeThinks that people don't like DK64 because it was extremley a long and a (I guess) hard game. It was still fun, like in the factory level, you can play the orignal DK! (or you can just go to the title screen.)

For Example, SMB2j the lost levels. I guess most people would consider it really hard. I still couldn't beat it, and now my SNES is missing in my storage basement!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006, 09:53:23 AM »
MeThinks that people don't like DK64 because it was extremley a long and a (I guess) hard game.
No it's not that it is all of the ridiculous collecting. You had the gold,yellow,red,orange,purple,and some other color of bananas to collect and that really killed the game.

in the factory level, you can play the orignal DK! (or you can just go to the title screen).
I know that and after I got bored, that was the only reason I even touched the game. To get it on the title screen though, I think you have to get the nintendo coin.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 09:54:58 AM by solidmushroom »

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2006, 01:05:30 PM »
Yeah, after I 100%ed the game (which in retrospect I'm shocked I had the time and patience to do), the only things that kept me coming back were Donkey Kong, Jetpac and the mine cart levels.  And even that stuff I haven't touched in years. 

DK64 wasn't an awful game by any means, it just wasn't anything special, either. 
Haters gonna hate

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 02:09:20 PM »
DK64 wasn't an awful game by any means, it just wasn't anything special, either. 

I'm going to agree with this comment. I mean, after how fun the DKC games were, and DKR, DK64 was quite a bit of a disappointment in my mind. I mean, it looked beautiful, and the levels were big with things to explore... but they lacked SOMETHING. I don't know what.

As for that comment about DKC ripping off of the SMB series, I'll say that I think DKC and SMB were polar OPPOSITES in level design. I mean, SMB was simple and all the objects in the game were simple to figure out -- DKC was much more elaborate and featured what seemed like new gameplay elements thrown at you in every stage. Both worked.
~I.S.~

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2006, 02:41:56 PM »
I'm going to agree with this comment. I mean, after how fun the DKC games were, and DKR, DK64 was quite a bit of a disappointment in my mind. I mean, it looked beautiful, and the levels were big with things to explore... but they lacked SOMETHING. I don't know what.

I think the word is "Barrels" you know, throwing barrels. you only saw them at boss stages and bonus games.

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2006, 04:47:16 PM »
<I>donkey kong games are so lame now</I>

Well maybe if Nintendo respected Rare's version, they wouldn't be half as bad.
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2006, 04:57:47 PM »
Not really, all DK games seem bad to me. But not DK Racing or the games where u use the bongos. those were only SOME fun.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2006, 07:45:22 PM »
.... And they say it's hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic over the net. Give me a break here, I know people have different opinions, but alot of people I know liked DK64 to a fair extent and I didn't know it was the Mario Sunshine of Donkey Kong games (then again DK64 came first, so I suppose Sunshine is more like the DK64 of Mario games).

Wait a minute...

What... the... freakin'... heck?!

I was NOT being sarcastic at all! I really do like DK64 that much! What on earth made you think I was sarcastic???

I'm almost never sarcastic online.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 03:35:07 PM »
As for that comment about DKC ripping off of the SMB series, I'll say that I think DKC and SMB were polar OPPOSITES in level design. I mean, SMB was simple and all the objects in the game were simple to figure out -- DKC was much more elaborate and featured what seemed like new gameplay elements thrown at you in every stage. Both worked.
Yeah, they were a lot different. DKC had two playable charachters and THE very first mine cart level that every platformer has HAD to include since. SMB was better, but by all means DKC made the "Kremlins Cry Out for Mummy"(I love the DK rap, if someone can, tell me if you can download it and if so, where?).

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2006, 03:12:28 PM »
I love the DK rap, if someone can, tell me if you can download it and if so, where?).
I don't have it, but I think the DK Rap rocks

Print