Print

Author Topic: How come Nintendo doesn't respect the DKC series?  (Read 10781 times)

« on: August 14, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »
It doesn't make sense. The DKC series (DK 64) included has rake in millions for Nintendo and saved them from the clutches of Sega. But how come Nintendo looks down on DKC the most? Jungle Beat pretty much proves the point. :(
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 01:59:24 PM »
...Looks down? Nintendo dosen't look down on the Donkey Kong series. Namco made a whole new controller for the purpose of Donkey Konga. Nintendo wouldn't make a new controller for a game based on a character they look down on. Also, jungle beat was well accepted among the gaming media, dispite it's departure in style from previous DK platformers. It definatly had a creative idea.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:52:16 PM »
...a creative what?

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
...a creative what?

The idea I was talking about was the idea of using the Bongo controller as a means of controlling DK. Sorry about that. Truth be told, I've never acctually played DK:JB before, but I have heard how you play it. The way you use the Bongo controller to control DK sounds fun.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »
It may be fun, but it hurts your arms. And it's a platformer, which really doesn't need to a bongo drum controller to be fun anyway.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:29:02 PM »
I have it, you really get tired from all that clapping and drumming, really can't keep up, speshaly in the boss battles.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 10:37:52 PM »
Really?  That makes it seem even more fun to me for some reason.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 10:41:40 PM »
Then let their be blisters! Give it to ya' for 50 bucks.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 10:49:01 PM »
If I were willing to pay that much, I'd already have it by now!  On the other hand, I am a little more interested than I was previously.  Dust off the bongos and give your Donkey Kong a second chance sometime, will ya?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 11:01:07 PM »
NO.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 06:36:04 AM »
The reason I say Nintendo looks down on DKC was because there were no DKC characters or anything else DK related in Jungle Beat. Nintendo replaced everything.

Hoofer = Rambi
Orca = Enguard
The monkeys that catapault you = Blast Barrels
The tiny black and white pigs = Gnawty Beavers
And they're not the only ones.

Nintendo seemed to replace everything that made DK, DK.

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 08:59:34 AM »
Well, that's true. But the rest of the kongs were featured in Donkey Konga 1, 2 and 3, DK:KoS and it's upcoming sequal, Mario Superstar Baseball and the upcoming Donkey kong:Bongo blast just to name a few. Also, DK had a Rambi stylized kart in MKDS, so he isn't entirly forgotten.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 09:06:32 AM »
Maybe Jungle Beat is in a whole other kingdom?

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 11:22:44 AM »
Jungle Beat takes place on many different island kingdoms. But that doesn't mean that DK's friends can't assist him. And sure, the Kongs were in those games Robert mention, but most of them are third party games.

And this is proof that Nintendo doesn't respect DK: http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=420

This is an interview with the Jungle Beat creators

Q: Tell us about the characters.

Koizumi: All the characters outside of Donkey Kong and the banana are completely original. We don't really feel the past look of Donkey Kong was fresh enough for today. We really gave our new development team the chance to really create something unique and stylish.

Do you know how hypocritical that makes Nintendo? The DKC characters has been around for barely 10 years. Most of the main Mario cast has been around for over 20 years. If the Kongs aren't fresh enough, then Mario ,and forgive me for what I say, is staler than a dead man in the summertime. Also, Peach, Luigi, and Bowser are stale too.

Also, Nintendo ruined DK's character. They tried to make him more like a gorilla. The ironic thing was he was more of the gorilla in Rare's hands.

When Rare handled DK: DK was a fun loving guy who never hurt anybody unless they done harm to him or his family. Also, DK and Mario were now pretty good friends. DK also had his own friends and family.

When Nintendo took him back: DK was fighting idiot. He beats up on guys for no appearant reason. If Nintendo said the kings were evil and he went to stop them, that would have been passable. Also, for some strange reason, Nintendo is trying to revive the fued between Mario and DK after many years (Mario Vs DK games) Also, why does DK fall in love with Pauline when he has Candy?

Now, I like Nintendo. But if they treat what Rareware did for them like crud, what would happen if other second party companies leave but their characters have to stay?

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 03:30:28 PM »
Now, I'm even more interested in Jungle Beat.  It sounds like they stayed true to DK's original design.

In response to the thoughts on the interview, Mario and his crew don't need to be modernized because they're timeless.  Not much sticks out when you transport them to another era.  DKC, on the other hand, well... just imagine Funky.  The surfer persona is totally lost on today's youth.  You'd have to transform him into a rapper to get a similar effect, and that might perturb the long-time fans, so it seems like the best choice is to start from scratch.

Honestly, though, I think the real reason is that Nintendo wasn't fond of DKC in the first place.  The series made some money, so they had no choice but to tolerate it, but they never accepted it as their own.  After all, it's not.

Print