Print

Author Topic: There goes seven decades of our sun having nine planets  (Read 9837 times)

"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:17:41 PM »
My Very Excellent Mother Just Sits Upstairs Naming

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:49:10 PM »
Booooooooo!  They suck.  Actually Pluto is beleived to be a lost moon of Neptune, but even still, since its big enough and dosn't orbit anything other than the sun, it is a planet still.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 12:50:46 PM by superstarMASIAH »
I only watch [adult swim]

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:51:05 PM »
My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine

NINE WHAT?!?!?!

I am very obviously against this for this reason and this reason alone.
~I.S.~

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 12:55:47 PM »
Poor Pluto :(. They're just giving Pluto the boot because it's different. Mean old astronomers >:0! Plus, Pluto was my favorite planet. It is (or was) the underdog of the Solar System because it was so small and so far away. That's why I liked it. Goodbye, Pluto. We hardly knew ye.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 12:59:41 PM »
Microscopic Vermin Eat Mostly Jello Sandwiches Upstairs Nightly.

Not a problem!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 01:06:55 PM »
My Very Excited Mouse Just Smells Ultimately Nasty
Ha! See, we don't need Pluto!

Hm...It seems that Suffix got to Replacing the acronym before me... Oh well, the more the merrier I guess.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 01:10:47 PM »
What I dislike most about this new deal is that they're now letting other objects be defined as planets, like Charon, Ceres and UB-313. Charon? Last time I checked, that was a MOON. Ceres? The only claim to fame Ceres has is that Doom's opening episode took place on it. What's next, LV-486? SR-388? I don't want any Xenomorphs or Metroids in our solar system, thank you very much. *huff*
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 01:12:07 PM »
:( It would pwn to have Zebes in out Solar System.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »
My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine.......

GASP!

Funny, we had 9 planets, then there was a proposal to add about 20 more, and now we end up with one less planet than we started.

I'm also very against what Glorb said, I thought it would've been cool to have Ceres, Xena, Ixion, Varuna, Quaoar, Charon, Sedna and others as planets. FYI, Glorb, Charon is BIGGER than Pluto, and it doesn't orbit around Pluto the same way a normal satellite orbits a planet.

Meh, oh well. Times are changing, aren't they? Can't be scared of change.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »
Haha, Glorb's post made me want to say "How about P3X-989? Or P3X..."

How are we going to change that one Magic School Bus episode, though?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 01:39:13 PM »
What I dislike most about this new deal is that they're now letting other objects be defined as planets, like Charon, Ceres and UB-313. Charon? Last time I checked, that was a MOON. Ceres? The only claim to fame Ceres has is that Doom's opening episode took place on it. What's next, LV-486? SR-388? I don't want any Xenomorphs or Metroids in our solar system, thank you very much. *huff*

Yeah, next thing you know, Planet Mobius will show up on our maps of the Solar System.  That or Tattooine (two t's or one?)
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »
Charon? Last time I checked, that was a MOON.

If you read the definition of a dwarf planet, you'll notice that they must orbit the sun. Charon orbits Mars, so it cannot be a dwarf planet. Happy?

Haha, Glorb's post made me want to say "How about P3X-989? Or P3X..."

I would approve!

Yeah, next thing you know, Planet Mobius will show up on our maps of the Solar System.  That or Tattooine (two t's or one?)

According to the Sonic comics, planet Mobius is actually Earth of the future after a massive nuclear holocaust.

--

Personally, I support this demotion of Pluto quite strongly. Just because we grew up thinking something, doesn't mean it's better not to change it. We know more now, and can make better decisions about classification.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 02:59:01 PM »
I get what your saying LD, but how are we going to unteach kids even adults that Pluto is no longer an official planet, just a dwarf planet?  I mean, people can be stubborn.
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »
Oh, it's easier for children to let go than adults. I'm sure it'd be easy to tell students that Pluto is no longer a planet.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Print