Print

Author Topic: Why is the Super Mario Bros. underground music used so much?  (Read 5406 times)

« on: February 22, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »
I've been wondering why is it the underground music from Super Mario Bros. is used underground in many other games.

What I mean is in the Super Mario Bros. 2 Beta it was the underground music but for the above ground music it wasn't the original Super Mario Bros. above ground music. In Super Mario Bros. 3 it was the underground music but the underwater and above ground music was differant. It's the same case in Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga, Mario and Luigi Partners in Time, and probably other games I'm forgetting.

So why is that music used so much?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 07:52:42 PM »
The same reason the starman music is used in every game. It's good and it reminds you of previous games, providing a psychological link with fun you had in the past. Having the same musis for everything would be lame, but having the same music for a couple things here and there is cool.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Because the underground music is perfection.  It makes you think about the underground, and makes you feel good about the underground.  No underground theme I heard has ever come close to it's grandness.  The only one underground theme that can compare is Yoshi's Island's.
Victory... is my destiny!

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:57:44 PM »
The Yoshi's Island underground music was different but pretty cool, kinda had that creepy sort of feel to it.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:44:13 PM »
I go with Chup's explanation.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »
 It sounds slightly like you're tired of hearing it. o.o

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »
Was there a large bump here? And I agree with Chup.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »
I like do not like the remix of Starman in Mario Kart Wii because it sounds too 21st century hip-hop like. The Underground from Super Mario Bros. was originally going to be remixed into Super Mario Bros. 2 having a metal rock version much like the one found in Super Mario Bros. 3 but I guess Nintendo didn't like it or they felt it would consume more space requiring more costly PC boards that they thought consumer would feel it would be unreasonable to pay for since ROM chips were expensive then.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:24:12 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »
There is no way it would have used any more hardware in the cartridge than the DDP underground tune.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 12:39:52 AM »
I think the topic is more about, "Why only that one? The SMB ground theme is used often too, but not nearly as much as the underground theme." Playing Galaxy again, I really noticed. The underground theme is used liberally, and the main theme is heard in the Toy time Galaxy, when you get one of those mushrooms that doubles your maximum health, and that's about it.

SM64 and NSMB are examples of how there are no problems with creating new main themes, but underground levels get the same-old-same-old. And I mean, it's fine, I like the main themes for those games (except the athletic version of NSMB's, I hate that one). But it would have been okay to have the main theme play in some of the levels, and not sped-up as it was in the Toy Time Galaxy and in Toadsworth's minigames in NSMB. It also would have been just fine to get a new underground theme for those games.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 07:23:17 AM »
SM64 had a great theme but it was remixed for every level. As for NSMB, I will maintain until the day I that its theme is a remix of the SMW credits.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »
Honestly, I always thought the SMW credits were a remix of the SMB2/DDP overworld theme. Also, SM64's rendition of the underground remix is cool, especially since the rest of the music in the game is essentially "variations on a theme".  However, games like SML and SML2 proved that Nintendo could come up with amazing, completely new soundtracks.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:38:01 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
I like how pretty much all the music in SMW is different styles of the same tune.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »
Honestly, I always thought the SMW credits were a remix of the SMB2/DDP overworld theme.
...Dangit, you could be right!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print