Print

Author Topic: The Kingdom of Loathing  (Read 2760 times)

« on: February 10, 2005, 06:33:48 PM »
www.kingdomofloathing.com

Lizard Dude posted this a while ago. Anyways, our little clan there is dwindling. Insane Steve founded it, but recently, he left for a bigger better clan, leaving leadership to Nintendoike64. He left wheres dezzer and everyone else has quit playing. I'm currently the only active member of the clan.

Those of you who got bored and quit, there's been a lot of changes and new things added, and I don't wish for our little can to die. You newer members here should get an account. It's fun. Seriously. I need fundings for our clan. My La-Z-Archers starved during my few days without internet, while my war leader left after Nintendoike.

Help the cause. Save wheres dezzer.

Edited by - Popple on 2/10/2005 9:18:25 PM

Let me away from this boulder!

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 07:05:14 PM »
Wow, I'd forgotten that we named our clan that. Heheh.

Sorry for disbanding the group. If I had time to play that game, then I'd rather spend it playing Paper Mario (N64), Super Mario Sunshine, StarCraft 64 or StarCraft (Mac), Metroid Prime, SSBM, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Goemon's Great Adventure, Pikmin, Star Fox Adventures, The Curse of Monkey Island, The Secret of Monkey Island, maybe Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, a couple games I own but am probably not remembering right now, or a huge host of other games that I don't own.

“Hey, lemme borrow your bike. C’mon, I’ll give you some chips.”
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 08:24:34 PM »
I play KoL occasionally.
"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 03:54:53 AM »
Just say no to StarCraft 64.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 03:56:49 AM »
Original thread - it's worth reading just to see me say, "brainless rabid monkey".

Edited by - Lizard Dude on 2/11/2005 1:59:54 AM

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 09:13:49 PM »
"Thirdly, and this might be the clincher for some of you *cough*Watoad*cough*, the Adventure system prevents you from playing too much each day. You won't get addicted and spend hours on end trapped in their realm, or rather, you can't."

LIES! All lies!

Never underestimate the actions of someone who is easily addicted to things. Someone like myself.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 11:38:33 PM »
Yes, that's why I quit.  I was spending 2+ hours/day on it.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 01:51:05 AM »
Say no to StarCraft 64, huh? And why is that? I paid 60 bucks for it (I'm sure you've paid that much for a new N64 game or two in your life), and it has been worth every penny.

There are certainly differences between the computer and N64 versions of the game, but they don't all favor the former. StarCraft 64 always runs on the hardware and never crashes. It includes Brood War—no installation or messing with CDs required. With the touch of a button, all the units on the screen (up to 18) are automatically selected. And with repeated pressing of the same button, all of the units of each class are selected in turn. This feature is super-handy, and I believe it doesn't exist in the computer version. (Am I correct?)

Also, I'm of the understanding that 12 is the greatest number of units that you can select at one time on the computer, which doesn't stand up to the N64's 18. And do SCVs, etc. start working automatically after they've been created? I was told once that this is another difference between the two versions. Finally, a really neat thing, I think, is that the cheat codes have to be earned. No simple typing of "It is a good day to die"-style cheats and potentially ruining the game for yourself.

Very good point, Steve.

→ Edit: Is "class" the correct term up there? I originally had it as "race" for some reason, but I know that's not right.

“Hey, lemme borrow your bike. C’mon, I’ll give you some chips.”

Edited by - Watoad on 2/12/2005 2:28:25 AM

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 03:50:44 PM »
Either way, nobody has applied to the clan yet. I'm very dissapointed in you people.
Let me away from this boulder!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 04:03:30 PM »
MOUSE AND KEYBOARD

You can't play an RTS with a gamepad. You can't. Can't. Can't. Can't. Can't. Can't. Can't. Can't. Can't.

StarCraft has never crashed on my computer. *shrugs*

The term would be unit "type". In StarCraft, double-clicking on a unit selects all of that type. Ctrl-click does the same thing. You don't even have to cycle.

Yes, 12 is the selection max, so that is a plus to N64.

SCVs do not start working automatically unless the rally point of the Command Center is set on minerals or a gas mine.

I never use cheats either way, so meh.

The greatest aspect of StarCraft is it's multiplayer. Split-screen RTSing is virtually pointless.

But the main thing is playing with a gamepad. x_x

I understand that it could still be fun, though. I guess all that matters is if you have fun with the game.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 09:50:12 PM »
Sorry for taking so long to reply. At least I've been able to remember that I wanted to.

I can play StarCraft 64 with the N64 controller with ease, but I can understand it if you would have a harder time, being so used to a mouse and keyboard. Blizzard made incredible use of the array of buttons on that controller, and moving the cursor around with the control stick is quite easy and effective once you get used to it. I think it may be the only N64 game I've played that uses every single button/direction without repeating anything (the D-pad and control stick do very different things, for example).

Something that I like about playing games on consoles is that you just don't have to worry about the kinds of things that you do with a computer, such as installation, maintenance, crashing, etc. That said, GoldenEye 007 did freeze on a friend and myself once when we had too many cheats and weird things whirling around at once and making the game go psycho.

There might be an option to R-click or something similar that does the same thing as double-clicking in StarCraft. It's been awhile, so I don't remember exactly.

You don't know freedom until you've just left your bases to take care of themselves while you go around with 18 Battle Cruisers and lay waste to everything. It's fun.

Yeah, you seem like the type who would be too skilled to bother with cheats.

While split-screen play with an RTS may seem pointless to you, it is a great second best when you don't have the option of playing multiplayer with multiple computers that you don't have. Well, that's how it was in my WCII, pre-Battle.net days. Because of online gaming this should no longer be an issue—except that I'm deathly scared of it (for a reason I've stated several times). Anyway, I spent many enjoyable hours with SC64's multiplayer mode.

Ah, nice way to end your post. It's like what an Asian friend of mine once said to me about chopsticks: "It doesn't really matter how you hold chopsticks as long as you can pick up food."

Why "e3"??

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 04:11:31 AM »
How much have you played StarCraft on a two-button moused computer? I want to know where you're coming from. I have never played SC64, but I hope I explain my trepidations well enough that they don't just seem like ignorant attacks on a "different" StarCraft than the one I know and love.

Why are you scared of online gaming again? Time drain?

How skilled are you with chopsticks?

-

On a TV, the resolution of the game can't be as good.

It appears from internet research that the unit speech was cut down to bare-bones (like the PC demo was, I remember) and the voice-overs of the mission briefings have been annihilated. This alone would probably destroy any interest I'd have in playing SC64. Blizzard games are not just unbelievably polished in gameplay, they are also extremely polished in the style and story departments. The voiceless N64 version would seem like the embodiment of the Charm I once knew, gutted and bleeding in an alley (having been attacked by cartridge data-storage limitations, of course). And what of the manual? In an age where most companies now give you a two page insert inside the front cover of the jewel case or a .pdf file, Blizzard still gives thick paper manuals, rife with incredibly dense and detailed background story and marvelous concept art and sketches. Heck, with World of WarCraft I got a full-color 200 page hardcover art book and cloth map along with the huge manual. The StarCraft 64 manual would probably make me cry. I hope I'm wrong, though.

The content of the much-advertised N64 exclusive missions interests me. Is there additional plot or what?

I'm pretty sure Mass Media did the console port, not Blizzard itself (although Blizz started out on console. I even owned The Lost Vikings for PC but mysteriously lost it. I loved that game. I think it's the only game I've ever completely and utterly -lost- somewhere.).

Pikmin 2's multiplayer has shown me that split screen RTS would be viable, but... a very different sort of thing.

Meh, I'm not that skilled at gaming or anything. I play too large a variety of things to maintain enough dedication to one game to achieve unbelievable ability at it.

Print