Print

Author Topic: Random Sunshine thoughts  (Read 2883 times)

« on: October 29, 2002, 09:10:23 PM »
Yeah, what did you folks think of Mario Sunshine?

Personally, I thought Nintendo did an EXCELLENT job with following up the incredible Super Mario 64.  It was fun, it kept the gameplay feel of the original, had a fun plot twist, and did a darn good job of being different enough to make it feel fresh, but still maintaining that Mario feel.

Things that keep it from toppling Mario 3 on my list of favorites at #1 though are the tropical theme (it only allowed for tropical levels. . . more variety would have been cool, but it was also cool Nintendo stuck with the theme), there were only a few (but huge and beautiful) worlds, and the Yoshi's were weird (where's the tongue?  or green Yoshies?)

I'd give it a 9 out of 10.  Awesome game.  I LOVE IT.  I haven't even gotten all 120 shines yet. . .jeez. :(.  I've got about 88 or so as of now.  Thank you Nintendo!  Now I just have MarioKart Cubed to wait for. . .

There's my thoughts on Sunshine. . . I wanna hear yours now
Haters gonna hate

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 09:16:25 PM »
I hate Green Yoshi. He is VERY overrated. Personally, I am SO glad that they used all the neglected colors, like ORANGE (First appearance ever)... Black Yoshi deserves another game. He should have been in SMS. (If he wasn't, remember, I don't have SMS.)

See, I don't know much about SMS. My cla.... never mind, if you read my posts, you'll see why I don't have a GCN.

I don`t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
~I.S.~

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 09:29:27 PM »
Yoshis in SMS had tongues. Press B. It is long, skinny, red, and has a ball on the end just like in all Mario games.

And green Yoshi is in SMS. Whenever your Yoshi dies it first turns green. Tada!

"Thus Spake Lizard"

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 10:28:04 PM »
HA!  You're right. . . the tongue is there. . . I guess what I meant is that I found the whole projectile vomit thing ability to be a bit odd.

And why in blazes did they make the Yoshi's non-water proof?  Madness yo.  
Haters gonna hate

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 12:04:48 AM »
Inadequate programming techniques.

SMS is a totally awesome game. Here are my only three complaints:
No Luigi. They should've put Luigi in there.
The Toads don't know you saved Peach, making the end of the story incoherent.
They should've had Green Yoshi as one of the colors. The three new colors were cool, but I miss the "real" Yoshi that Mario is most familiar with. (The first one in SMW, the one in Mario Kart, Party, Tennis, on the Castle roof, etc.)

As great of a game as SMS is, I can't help but say that SFA blew the pants off it.

Yeah, it`s me, that gremlin that does stuff while you`re not looking. Eeh hee hee hee heeeee!
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 06:05:00 PM »
Yeah, StarFox Adventures totally rocks my socks, but Sunshine is taking a lot longer to beat than SFA.

Plus, it really isn't fair to compare to completely different style of game.  Mario is a platformer, whereas SFA is a Zelda-style adventure/action-RPG.  It's like saying F-Zero X is a metric assload better than Metal Gear Solid.

-----------------------

-==bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ==-
Have a nice end of the world.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 06:56:04 PM »
"SHINE GET!" is my favorite Engrish sentence ever.

I looooove SMS. I haven't played that much of it since the GCN is at home (I only have about 20-some shines), but I still love it to bits. ^_^

I like that it's insanely difficult, but not to the point of being frustrating. I spent an hour and a half trying to beat the 'Secret of the Dirty Lake' scenario in Bianca Hills, but even though I died five million times and made a lot of stupid mistakes (right at the last part before the shine, too), I just found myself giggling at the old-school 'Mario DIED!' music and trying again. And I felt really proud of myself when I finally SHINE GOT! ^_^

I wish they had incorporated Yoshi a little better. It's kinda hard to have him sans ability to swim in a game where water is the main element. :\ Oh, well, he's still adorable. ^^

They did an excellent job on the voice acting (as sparse as it is), IMO. Bowser's voice is a little... strange... since I was expecting the voice he had in the cartoons, but it wasn't as bad as my brother said it was (he told me Bowser sounded like Foghorn Leghorn O_o). Ninty should try that more often. And next time Mario should actually talk. ^_^

I liked the ending, as well (my brother showed it to me). I don't get why some people think it sucks... it's better than just getting a cake, right??

I wanna be a mongoose.
I wanna be a mongoose.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2002, 07:12:02 PM »
Right.

"I''m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!"

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 09:25:14 PM »
Yeah, could you imagine Harvey Atkin playing Bowser in the games? That would be the greatest.

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #7:

"Darkness comes over the land,
The Night grabs us with its cold, sticky hand.
We beg the Night to let us go,
But it grabs us tighter, saying, `No.`
Then it stabs us in the head.
Because of Daylight Saving Time, we now are dead."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 09:30:05 PM »
I like his game voice. Of course, I've never seen the Mario cartoons...
And Billy Chilly's right... SMS is the best 3D platformer, and SFA is the best 3D action/adventure game. (Or whatever genre it fits into.)
That was a joke.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2002, 12:49:32 PM »
Sunshine the best 3D platformer? Naaaaw... An over-average one, certainly. But it's never the best. I rate it about the same as Banjo-Tooie.

~Waddle Dedede @ www.the-warp-zone.com
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2002, 11:01:34 PM »
Then WHAT would YOU say the best 3D platformer is?
That was a joke.

Print