Print

Author Topic: Comic Books  (Read 13286 times)

« on: September 03, 2010, 12:21:46 AM »
Comic books, graphic novels, funnies, sequential art.

Personally, I live comics. Reading them, reading about them, enjoying them through games and movies, anything. I stick with Marvel a lot, Spider-Man, Avengers, X-Men, but have grown quite attached to a number of DC's not-gigantic books, like Birds of Prey, done by the fantastic Gail Simone, and Zatanna, written by Paul Dini. I really enjoy the works of John Romita and John Romita Jr., as well as Chris Bachalo, who draws a wonderful Spider-Man, and Klaus Jansen. For Writers, other than Simone and Dini, Greg Pak and Fred van Lente, whom I was introduced through Incredible Hercules, which I can't recommend enough.

Do you read them? Is there a character you really enjoy? A team? Which of the big two (DC or Marvel) do you generally gravitate towards? What about Image and Darkhorse? Anything about the medium that you feel makes it special, unique? Do you enjoy the superhero fare, or do you stick to less mainstream stuff? Do you have a favorite creator(s)?
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:19:18 AM »
I like the Fantastic Four most of all.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:58:38 AM »
Is Bruce Wayne back yet?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:46:02 AM »
I'd start reading comic books, but I know I'd never stop. As far as graphic novels and comic compilations go, though, I've read my fair share: The Scott Pilgrim series is great, as are Penny Arcade and xkcd, and--to some extent--I unironically enjoy Garfield. Watchmen was a classic, as well.

Also, Power Girl is about neck-and-neck with Ivy on my Hit List.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »
I still enjoy reading Garfield on occasion.

There are several webcomics that I follow. Brawl in the Family, Penny Arcade, VGcats (not so much VGcats as of late. Updates are few and far between..), Dueling Analogs, Dr McNinja, Planet Zebeth (if BP were here, he wouldn't like this one. It's a sprite based Metroid comic: didn't he not like sprite comics..?) and also a couple more, but I can't list them due to questionable material.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 01:00:02 PM »
I rarely read comics in any form. The closest you'll see me reading if ever are Garfield, Dilbert, and Ziggy from the newspaper.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
There was a thread vaguely similar to this elsewhere, but it focused on comic strips. That's where my complaints about a few of my least-favorites can be found.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »
Zits, and formerly Neglected Characters until I stopped finding it funny.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 04:40:36 PM »
Ah, I forgot about webcomics. I read the standard fare; Penny Arcade, Questionable Content, Something Positive, Megatokyo, and Girl Genius, along with some I feel are smaller. Unlike print comics, though, I tend to avoid Super Hero strips because I haven't found any that are that great, though Spinnerette is a good hero parody.

And on the topic of parody, I would reccommend Weapon Brown, a post-apocalyptic Charlie Brown. It's absurd and violent and funny. I do belive you can read it online, though I bought the print version and don't know for certain.  
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
A slightly outdated list of my fledgling comic book collection: cleeck

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 10:59:43 PM »
I just scored a copy of Fantastic Four #15.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 02:20:23 PM »
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 07:13:38 PM »
Record yourself removing the plastic cover and besmirching each of the comic's pages with your greasy digits, then upload the footage to some hardcore comic collectors' forum.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »
That would be kind of a waste of $40.

Also my digits aren't greasy and I already read it without causing damage.
That was a joke.

Print