Print

Author Topic: "I'm alright right now."  (Read 2226 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »
I've had this strange sensations before... I'm on an airplane experience turbulence and think, "I'm alright now so I'll make it through this."  In other words, "If this plane crashed I'd survive and I know this because I'm alive now."  Still I worried.  I know this is nonsensical, but until today I thought it was just a crazy passing thought.  Now I know it's not just me:  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-wise-brain/201106/notice-youre-alright-right-now 

You too? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 11:15:59 PM »
I'm in this frame of mind practically all the time. Which is probably why I'm an extreme procrastinator.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:55:48 AM »
Yes. It's supposed to serve as a depressant for things like paranoia in psychological circles, but as BP mentioned, it's not all that it's cracked up to be. In those cases it's probably best to find a separate motivator.

On one hand, it caused me to think that walking along the edge of a decaying wooden bridge was a good idea. On the other hand, I've always eventually calmed myself in terrifying situations with it which helps me deal with certain issues.
I'm a horrible person.

Print