Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 477599 times)

« Reply #705 on: August 24, 2006, 10:50:44 AM »
Funny. I always tought that the spanish translations were done from the english version, not the original japanese.

« Reply #706 on: August 24, 2006, 10:54:44 AM »
I can't believe we're debating about Vivian's gender again. Can we discuss something else?

Okay.

In SM64 and SMS, when mario travels a certain distance in a level, he's stopped by an invisable wall. In the game, this is to prevent mario from going too far out into nothingness, but what would be the story line explanation for this?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #707 on: August 24, 2006, 01:42:34 PM »
Force Field! Placed by Bowser/Villain of the current game to make things harder for Mario.

« Reply #708 on: August 24, 2006, 02:20:09 PM »
Force Field! Placed by Bowser/Villain of the current game to make things harder for Mario.

If that's the case, than how come no one else in SMS noticed the invisable walls? How come the Piantas didn't charge Mario with placing force fields all around their island? Also, I personally think it would have been more diffucult to swim to Ricco Harbour than it is to jump into a portal and be teleported there. These force fields don't appear to have been lifted after defeating Bowser or collecting all 120 shines.I think the invisable walls in SMS represent Mario's morality. For example, if Mario goes to far out to sea, he'll releize that it's pointless to keep swimming and he has more important things to do.

But your theory could work for SM64. Most of the levels in that game were uninhabited, save for Bowser's troops. Bob-omb Battlefeild, Cool,Cool Mountain, Snowman's Land and Tiny Huge Island are seemingly the only stages with signs of civalization.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 02:30:36 PM by Robert »

« Reply #709 on: August 24, 2006, 02:43:43 PM »
I would think that in SM64, since the places were only the paintings, that the invisible walls meant that it was the end of that "universe".  Each painting (or water goo, or fake wall, etc.,) sent Mario to a Mini-verse, created by Bowser to be inhabited by his goons to protect the Stars.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #710 on: August 24, 2006, 03:27:03 PM »
If that's the case, than how come no one else in SMS noticed the invisable walls? How come the Piantas didn't charge Mario with placing force fields all around their island? Also, I personally think it would have been more diffucult to swim to Ricco Harbour than it is to jump into a portal and be teleported there. These force fields don't appear to have been lifted after defeating Bowser or collecting all 120 shines.I think the invisable walls in SMS represent Mario's morality. For example, if Mario goes to far out to sea, he'll releize that it's pointless to keep swimming and he has more important things to do.

1. Piantas can jump and they are usually near their homes.
2. Warp Portals can warp you everywhere.
3. When Bowser is defeated, these walls don't dissapear instantly, they slowly fade. (It's Black Magic after all).

« Reply #711 on: August 24, 2006, 04:11:54 PM »
1. Piantas can jump and they are usually near their homes.
2. Warp Portals can warp you everywhere.
3. When Bowser is defeated, these walls don't dissapear instantly, they slowly fade. (It's Black Magic after all).

1. Piantas can jump, but they can't just "jump" over invisable walls. They're probably very high up. They might even reach the depths of space for all we know. Also, they may be "near their homes", but what if, for example, a noki in Noki bay wants to get to the marketplace in Delfino Plaza?
2.True, but these warps were established only after Mario came to Isle Delfino. Shadow Mario might have mucked up the isle a couple days before Mario came. Plus, certain warps could only be accessed via the use of FLUDD, which only Mario has. The warps to Sierra Beach and Pianta Village are prime examples.
3.Hmm... okay, I'll give you that one. It'll fade eventually.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 04:19:29 PM by Robert »

« Reply #712 on: August 24, 2006, 04:15:57 PM »
The walls probably just one of those in game things.

Plus there's walls around Peach's Castle.
Senior Mariology professor

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #713 on: August 24, 2006, 06:22:20 PM »
You can pretend that the walls around Peach's Castle aren't actually there. CoconutMikeNIke's SM64 idea was exactly what I had in mind. As for SMS, the loss of Shine energy as well as Shadow Mario's evil power caused some places to be sealed off (meaning that they could only be accessed via hidden warps and had invisible barriers around them).

« Reply #714 on: August 25, 2006, 11:27:13 AM »
It doesn't seem like Bowser created all the painting worlds. Just made portals to them. He also could have lifted the areas off the ground, which could explain why the levels appear to be high above the ground.

A lot of the characters seem like they've been in their level for a long time. Unless Bowser magically gave them there own fake memorys and personality I think the areas really exist.

Bowser could have made a portal under every area to warp back out of the painting. Then made walls around the levels so nobody could excape.

The SMS walls just really seem to be in game. Unless Bowser made the walls around the island to make sure nobody would escape. But only made them after Mario's plane landed.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #715 on: August 25, 2006, 02:44:19 PM »
A lot of the characters seem like they've been in their level for a long time. Unless Bowser magically gave them there own fake memorys and personality I think the areas really exist.

Which ones? The bosses were obviously employed by Bowser to guard the stars, so the only other character I can think of are the Penguins and the Bob-omb Buddies, who could've been residents of the castle. Or maybe the paintings always led to those worlds and Bowser just screwed them up using evil magic and a lot of minions.

« Reply #716 on: August 25, 2006, 07:01:04 PM »
The penguins, the catipillar, Eyerok talks like he's been there for centuries, the underwater town in Wet Dry World seems like its had some background, Koopa the Quick, a sign in Jolly Roger Bays cave suggests pirates used to be there. The Bob-omb buddies sole purpose is to open the cannons, and the only cannon outside the paintings is the one near Peach's Castle, but that one has grating over it, not the Bob-omb Buddies metal plate with their picture. The Bob-omb King talked like he's always ruled over the battlefield, and the official guide says the Pyramid is ancient.

I think the only places Bowser really made where his levels and added some traps to the other levels.

« Reply #717 on: August 25, 2006, 07:21:33 PM »
The penguins, the catipillar, Eyerok talks like he's been there for centuries, the underwater town in Wet Dry World seems like its had some background, Koopa the Quick, a sign in Jolly Roger Bays cave suggests pirates used to be there. The Bob-omb buddies sole purpose is to open the cannons, and the only cannon outside the paintings is the one near Peach's Castle, but that one has grating over it, not the Bob-omb Buddies metal plate with their picture. The Bob-omb King talked like he's always ruled over the battlefield, and the official guide says the Pyramid is ancient.

I think the only places Bowser really made where his levels and added some traps to the other levels.

Perhaps the artist(s) that painted the painting also had a story to go along with the picture? Or maybe the artist(s) drew the paintings to tell a story? Could it be that the paintings were based on real life locations in the Mushroom World?

« Reply #718 on: August 25, 2006, 07:46:33 PM »
Whomps fort and Tall Tall Mountain are the only paintings that really show an area.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #719 on: August 26, 2006, 10:10:12 AM »
I guess the paintings always contained those worlds but Bowser came along and infested those worlds with traps and soldiers, thereby turning them into "enemy worlds", unless the "enemy worlds" Toad was referring to were the Bowser stages.

Print