Poll

What Controller Would you use for Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

Wii Remote
Wii Remote + Nunhuck
Game Cube Controller
Classic Controller
Print

Author Topic: Which Controller?  (Read 6148 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »
Well, for one, it'd be too easy to accidentally jump. I know, someone's going to say "Nu-uh, if you have steady hands", but trust me, since you'd likely be using motion sensing for lots of other stuff, there'd be a lot of accidental jumping into pits.
every

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 09:48:21 PM »
I'd try the Wiimote out first. As soon as I don't like it, straight to GC.
Ínformatíos sumus memorías æturnus.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 09:49:23 PM »
Well, for one, it'd be too easy to accidentally jump. I know, someone's going to say "Nu-uh, if you have steady hands", but trust me, since you'd likely be using motion sensing for lots of other stuff, there'd be a lot of accidental jumping into pits.
I doubt the motion sensing would be used for much else if it were to be used for something as vital as jumping.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 09:01:33 PM »
Definately the classic controller. I might try the Wii remote just for kicks, to see if they managed to work with such limited buttons.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 09:29:59 PM »
Actually, if you look at it, the lone Remote scheme would work. The D-Pad can do everything the control stick can (except, with only eight possible directions). 1 and 2 are B and A, respectively. + could be Start, B could replcae L and R, A could be the grab shortcut button, and - could be the taunt button. B, at first glance, appears to be in an inconvenient location, but it's still usable. I say B should replace L and R instead of A because B is much more convenient for rolling dodges. I can't see how you can press A and the direction in which you want to roll at once.
The only problem I have with this is that I'd be forced to press up to jump, when I prefer to use X in Melee.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 09:34:53 PM »
No you wouldn't.  You could shake/jerk up to jump.  The up on the D pad could be used with the 1 and 2 buttons for up B and upward smash moves.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 04:00:05 AM »
Shaking the remote to jump in inconvenient. They'll probably have to stick with ^ for jumping as well as standard A+Z grabs without an X/Y button and Z button. For anyone concerned about Smashes, they'll probably assign that and dashing to double-tapping the D-pad like in the Kirby games.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 04:14:49 AM »
I suppose I would recommend the Nintendo GameCube controller. I like the feel of that powerful rumble.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 12:07:43 PM »
Why would shaking the remote up to jump be inconvenient?  I find it more convenient than using the ^ on the D pad.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 02:19:51 PM »
You mean to tell me that you find it easier to keep jerking both of your hands upward every time you want to jump instead of merely moving you thumb a tad higher to press a button?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 02:30:44 PM »
Actually yes.  Because there are better purposes for the ^ button
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 06:19:54 PM »
What purpose has the ^ button served in SSB besides jumping and attacking upwards?

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 06:52:01 PM »
Here's whatcha do:

The D-Pad would be your standard moving, with up being jump and down being duck.  If you wanted to run, you'd tilt the Wiimote diagonally, not unlike steering in a racing game.  Buttons 1 and 2 would be your standard and special attacks, and you could augment these, naturally, with the D-Pad to get all of the directional attacks and special moves.  The B button would be your block button, which you can combine with attack to do grabs and throws.  You'd also be able to use block in the air for an air-dodge, and with the D-Pad for a directional air-dodge.  As for smashes, you need only jerk the Wiimote in a direction to do a quick smash (like using the C-stick).  If you smash and attack, you will be able to do charged smashes.  Smash + special would let you vary the special moves (like Samus's missile) when necessary, smash + block would throw an item really hard.

And taunting and pausing would go to + and -.

Would it work?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:55:29 PM by Fifth »
Go Moon!

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 09:25:22 AM »
I found this online:

Its a diagram on how to use the Wii Remote + Nunchuck controller sceme

What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Sqrt2

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 04:09:05 PM »
I'm going to stick with the Gamecube controller, as A)I've already got some and B)I feel most comfortable playing with it over than playing with the Classic controller/Remote.
AA fanboy and proud!

Print