Poll

Who will win best two out of three in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

Mr. Melee
10 (37%)
Bird Person
17 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Print

Author Topic: The Epic Brawl: Mr. Melee and Me  (Read 13320 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: September 18, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »
He challenged me.
It will be a best two out of three series of brawls. The first will abide by my rules--no items, two stock, Final Destination. The second will go by Mr. Melee's rules. The third is where you, the Fungi Forumers, come in. Come to a consensus of rules by which our third fight will go. Winner gets a lot of glory and stuff.
I won't do this immediately. I'll want about a month to get used to Brawl, changes in physics/my characters and stuff. I'm using Yoshi first, then Ness, and if I win both times, Pichu for the third (assuming the latter two are still there, and Melee's willing to do the third fight). If I lose one I'll use whomever I used to win one. If I lose both, I'm no quitter and will use Yoshi in the third.
So, predict, decide on our third battle's conditions (remember this), and we'll see what happens in January.
Edit: I'm not voting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:13:07 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »
Ah, I'm not really sure who's better, so I'm voting randomly. The third fight should be a Super Sudden Death with 99 lives.

EDIT: Voted for Bird Person.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:20:39 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 05:33:32 PM »
Excuse my asking BP, but how do you know the Final Destination is in Brawl?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 05:34:17 PM »
I would like to be "included" in this duel so that I can tape it for everyone to see. I swear on Deezer's bread that I will not attack either fighter. If I do (remember that I am taping this), you may permanently ban me from the Fungi Forums.

Also...

Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »
Oh yes, because you're totally going to fight Master/Crazy Hand at the end of Classic mode on Isle Delfino. My mistake.
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »
Maybe they'll have a completely new stage this time, but It'll feel awkward fighting on another stage.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:53:05 PM »
Doesn't best two out of three mean whoever wins two wins and that's that?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »
I'll gladly fight and win all three, or fight the third after losing twice.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 05:57:21 PM »
I'm with PaperLuigi, the third fight should be a super sudden death with 99 lives.
LUIGI OWNS YOU!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 06:53:23 PM »
Hey, BP, you forgot the "I don't really care at all" option on your poll.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 06:55:04 PM »
There already is an option for that: don't post here. I voted for Mr. Melee.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 07:04:11 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this. I can't wait to get my white gloves around Yoshi's neck, twist his neck around and around, saying every letter of the alphabet...err.

Well, I've actually begun to doubt my own talents, as I chose this nick when I was like 12, didn't know the Internets, and was just better than everyone around me. Oh well, I'll see how good I do against someone who's cleared Very Hard with no lives lost (right?).

Also, I hereby agree to all rules BirdPerson has presented. And yes, I will do a third match no matter the previous outcomes. Go on and contiue the votes, guys. And also help us decide the rules for the last match.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
I voted for Mr. Melee.

For teh lulz.
"Sunbun is...doing whatever Sunbun does" -WarpRattler

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 07:13:14 PM »
There already is an option for that: don't post here.

I'm sick of the "Don't post here" comment in topics such as this. If I want to voice my opinion, which in this case, is an apathetic one, I can.
If I want suggest an option that shows an apathetic opinion, I'll suggest it, in a way that conveys my very opinion on the subject.

Don't like that? Fine, but telling me not to post though is just downright arrogant. Don't say it. Because I'll post if I want to, as well as many other people who post an opinion such as mine.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 07:15:37 PM »
But it's a waste of space and time to point out the obvious. You don't have to reply saying "I'm not voting." Just don't vote and move on.

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 07:20:57 PM »
I didn't say I wasn't going to vote, did I?

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »
Why would you want to tell everyone you don't care about this topic? Just ignore the topic. If you don't have something that applies to talking about my battle with BirdPerson, please don't post. It's useless.

EDIT: Vidgmchtr did not clarify in his post that he meant he didn't care who won, so I misunderstood.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:39:49 PM by Mr. Melee »

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 07:41:25 PM »
Um...
Besides, there's a ton of topics that I don't care about. So I don't post in them and draw attention to it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:48:33 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 08:01:28 PM »
Adding an "I don't know," or "I don't care" option is crap--there is no such person in the match, and it's basically a gateway for wishy-washy fools who think voting for Mr. Melee will dent my self-esteem or vice-versa to up their cast votes count. I don't even see how "I don't care" fits as an answer to the question! Will I beat Mr. Melee, or will he beat me?
Edit: You can always change your votes... Hee hee hee...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 08:04:25 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 08:44:50 PM »
Um...
Besides, there's a ton of topics that I don't care about. So I don't post in them and draw attention to it.

Attitudes can change.

Besides, I stand by my opinion. I believe I gave enough specifics on who I thought should win.

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 09:14:25 PM »
This sounds pretty cool. I voted for Mr. Melee. Sorry, Bird Person :(

I can't wait to see how this turns out. May the better fighter win.

This is the ultimate showdown, of ultimate destiny,
Bird person, Mr. Melee and explosions as far as the eye can see,
and only one will survive, I wonder who it'll be,
This is the ultimate showdown, of ultimate destiny!
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 09:42:32 PM »
I voted BP.

It just seems like he wants it more.

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 10:55:45 PM »
no items, two stock, Final Destination.

Geez, just add "Fox only" and you're on track to being a tourneytard.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 11:16:27 PM »
* Bird Person shakes his head
That's the most retarded tournament rule I've ever heard. No items makes sense-you know that no bomb is going to fall RIGHT WHERE YOU'RE STANDING and KO you when you're about to win, or a Heart Container right where your enemy is when you've almost had them. Sure, it can happen the other way around to your advantage, but, just, no. I'm confident I can win without miracles helping me. Two stock, I don't know, just... For time, you can just KO the enemy once, then avoid until the fight ends. Final Destination, same deal as with items. Too much fluke power.
Fox only, I don't see the point. Is it because then you don't get advantages of other characters? Then why not all use whatever character that terrifies us so? Or, is it because he IS that character? Bull dukar, not in my case. I think Fox sucks. Someone explain "Fox only" to me.
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 11:59:47 PM »
I still don't get that joke with the driving test.

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 01:05:22 AM »
I think he's saying that a large amount of tourney players use Fox, but not that they force you to be Fox.

Anyway, I'll place my bets on Bird Person. He is less likely to get distracted by Buckethead or something in the one-month training period.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 05:05:27 AM »
The "Fox only" is apparently because Fox is somehow the best character to use. It's times like this when I wish I had played SSBM...
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 07:34:42 AM »
* Bird Person shakes his head
Someone explain "Fox only" to me.
Fox is the best dude of all the dudes. End of story.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
I disagree, I'm much better with Yoshi, Ness or even Pichu. I'm sure cloning myself and playing a Melee would prove this. Rule does not make sense.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 11:37:22 AM »
Except amongst pros, a win will be determined by the character if both players are pretty much equal in skill. It has to do with the fact that the characters aren't perfectly balanced. There's a method to their madness, believe me.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 08:05:49 PM »
So is there only bragging rights awarded to who wins? Or are we going to bet something? Choose wisely, grasshopper.

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »
I can't decide who to vote for: I like both BP and Mr Melee equally!

I think the conditions of the third match should be something fun, like a 99 stock (or some high number, incase you want to make a video of this one too) match, with damage set to 300%, and some kind of weird option, like you can only throw Bob-ombs at your opponent (I know this would make setting the damage high un-neccesary).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 09:04:22 PM »
You challenged me, Melee, so you decide. No I won't give you money.
It's YOUR problem!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 01:02:46 AM »
No I won't give you money.
This is officially the lame and non-epic brawl.

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 01:18:55 AM »
Wow...this is a totally awesome. I can't wait to see who wins!

I did a little random game to see who to vote for (because honestly I couldn't choose) and it landed on Bird Person.

I wish you both the best of luck! I'd make up a little battle cheer but, alas, I'm cold and tired. Good night.

P.S. I'll have plenty of time later!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 04:55:28 PM »
You challenged me, Melee, so you decide. No I won't give you money.

Alright then. I'll come up with something soon.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 07:47:31 PM »
Sorry, Melee, but I chose BP. I mean, he has l33t Smash Bros. skillz and all. Don't worry, I'll let you pwn me in MPH later.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 09:43:41 PM »
In this case I have to agree with Vid, an option that allows you to actively not care about who wins is different from simply not posting.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2007, 11:39:24 PM »
I just don't see why you so desperately need to express how much you don't care. Either I'll win, or I'll lose. If you don't care who wins to the extent that you can't think for a moment, who seems more likely to win, then why are you even wasting your time here!?
Sorry TEM. I don't want Mr. Melee's money, and, in the event I lose, I don't want to part with mine. I'm not really into gambling (Well, I'll participate in the lottery when I get older, but that's less risky). Well, it's his challenge so it's not really my decision, is it?
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2007, 05:17:07 AM »
The lottery is less risky than betting on an SSBB fight? Yeah, I guess with the lottery it's virtually guaranteed that you'll lose.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2007, 07:39:17 PM »
Well, you're only risking a few dollars for a chance (slim, but still a chance) at thirty-thooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooousand dollars! Or however much you could win.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2007, 08:02:02 PM »
MATH

In the Epic Brawl bet, assume you bet $20 and assume you have a 50/50 chance of winning or losing. The expected value that you will win is (0.50 x $0) + (0.50 x $40) minus the $20 entry fee = $0.00. This means that if you did this bet an infinite number of times, you would break even.

In the California MEGA Millions lottery, for instance, odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 175,711,536 and it says jackpots are regularly about $100 million. The expected value that you will win is thus (1/175,711,536 = 0.000000005691 x $100,000,000) + (175,711,535/175,711,536 = 0.999999994309 x $0) minus the $1 entry fee = -$0.43. This means that if you played an infinite number of times, you would lose 43 cents of every dollar you bought a ticket with.

MaxVance is completely correct. The lottery is incredibly risky and the bet has zero risk, technically. Of course, you'd only be doing the bet once so you'd just have to hope for the best. However, the bet is waAAAay better than spending that $20 on the lottery, which you will lose. If you bought 50 lottery tickets every week, you would win the jackpot about once every 5,000 years. Also, the bet is not luck and almost completely skill-based. I'd take that over a lottery even with the same odds anyday.

Playing the lottery is literally throwing your money away. Lotteries are a tax on the mathematically challenged.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2007, 08:08:11 PM »
So how much you willing to bet, Melee...?
It's YOUR problem!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2007, 08:11:52 PM »
Uhh. Well, I'm kind of broke. I have no job...yet. I'll hopefully have one a month or so before Brawl comes out, though.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2007, 05:41:57 PM »
Here's how I think the thrid fight shall go. All items will be off, stage shall be random, and stock shall be determined by a !d99 in #tmk. As for the other settings, it should be done the way Sakurai wanted.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2007, 06:33:35 PM »
I don't think there will be stock in a stamina match. There isn't in Melee anyway.
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2007, 07:01:08 PM »
Doesn't hurt to cover any possible bases.

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2007, 07:56:09 PM »
That would be a neat feature they could add to the Stamina Options.

I wonder if Sakurai reads this message board..?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2007, 09:39:49 PM »
Yes, I know he does because I am Sakurai!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2007, 07:46:14 PM »
Ha ha... you're funny!

Actually, that'd be pretty cool if he did.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2007, 03:50:17 PM »
Perfect!

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2007, 06:19:59 PM »
What the

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2007, 06:43:32 PM »
kirbyman's post is stupid and awesome at the same time.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2007, 06:44:22 PM »
The preceding three post sequence got me lolling.
That was a joke.

Print