Poll

Do you plan to purchase the Wii Zapper?

Yes, it looks great!
4 (21.1%)
Yes, but only for Link's Crossbow training.
6 (31.6%)
No, it's a waste of money.
2 (10.5%)
Undecided.
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Print

Author Topic: Wii Zapper: Buy or don't buy?  (Read 6031 times)

« on: November 17, 2007, 03:27:10 PM »
In two days, on the one year anniversery of the Wii's release, Nintendo is releaseing an all new tomy-gun style accessory. It'll have the pack-in game "Link's Crossbow Training", a Zelda spinoff.

...Of, course, most of you probably already know that, so I'll get down to brass tacts: will you be purchasing this twenty dollar accessory? I was going to leave it alone, but with the delay of SSBB past Christmas,  I've been looking at alternatives to place under my christmas tree. Really, If I'd buy it, it would mostly be for the game; in nearly all of the press reviews for games that supported the Zapper, they've said they'd rather use the regular Wii-mote & Nunchuk. So that's put me off, but If I have twenty bucks for a Christmas present, it might just end up beside my Wii-remotes and Nunchuks.

So, what's your take on this issue?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 03:34:39 PM »
I am definitely buying it. Link's Crossbow Training, Ghost Squad, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, I love light gun games. I haven't played my Wii much since getting a 360, but these games are going to change that for sure. I've always wondered why the Wii wasn't swamped with arcade style light gun games, seems like the perfect system for them.

I'm also considering removing the rear part of the Zapper, the way it's set up looks a tad bit awkward to hold.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 03:38:36 PM »
Sure. It's only $20 for a cool controller shell, comes with a free game--sounds like a deal. It might be amusing trying to use the Zapper for other games, too, like Brawl or Galaxy. It would work for Brawl, but are there ever times the Remote and Nunchuk must move independently in Galaxy?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 03:39:42 PM »
By the way, the zapper sucks to use in its standard configuration.  My recommendation, and alternate configuration according to Nintendo is to keep the nunchuk separated and use the zapper as a handgun.

TEM

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 03:53:15 PM »
By the way, the zapper sucks to use in its standard configuration.  My recommendation, and alternate configuration according to Nintendo is to keep the nunchuk separated and use the zapper as a handgun.

Wouldn't the rear part of the Zapper still be in the way of holding your arm straight as depicted below?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »
I said "only for Link's Crossbow Training", and I suppose that's somewhat accurate, but it's more like... I don't really want either one enough to spend even $20 on it, but I've considered asking for it for Christmas, just for the heck of it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 04:59:56 PM »
so I'll get down to brass tacts
It's "brass tacks".

Yes I am getting one (or more?) of these.

Let's not forget the recent announcement of House of the Dead 2 & 3 for Wii. Suffer like G did?

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 05:49:26 PM »
I love the idea of the Zapper, and I love the idea of the Wii Balance Board. Why, you ask? Can you say "Crisis Zone"?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 05:53:19 PM »
Link's Crossbow Training also seems to be rather easy.  Maybe later stages get harder, but both my NWR colleague and I got platinum medals on the first try in the earlier three stages.  But there are definitely some cool Zapper games coming down the pipeline.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 07:55:36 PM »
^ Well, for less than $30 (with a pack-in peripheral)--and considering Nintendo these days--what do you expect?

****, that thing is huge... Can you say Yoshi's Safari 2?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

TEM

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 08:27:38 PM »
*pictures*

So, yes, it will be in the way? I don't know how other people aim but I need to have my arm straight and my line of sight going straight down my arm and to the tip of the gun. Looks like it's going to be saw tiem!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 09:00:31 AM by TEM »

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 08:40:07 PM »
Why will you need to aim? Aren't all these games going to have pointers like all the other Wii games?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 10:23:18 AM »
What Lizard said, but would this be more to your liking...

It's getting some bad reviews on Amazon though.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 12:18:41 PM »
Man, that one looks sweet. I mean, it looks like a Desert Eagle with an iPod aesthetic, but it still looks better than the standard Zapper.
every

Print