Poll

Should I get the Wii White GC Controller?

Heck YEAH
8 (80%)
Goodness NO
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Print

Author Topic: Wii White VS GC Platinum  (Read 9094 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

25 American Gold Coins. Should I pick this up? I already have a platinum GC controller, but...this one is just so mesmerizing. Please help me decide!!!!
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:51:45 PM »
The only reason I see to get that controller is the longer cable.
Why they didn't create an updated Wavebird is anyone's guess.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 08:54:10 PM »
Because the Wavebird is a lame controller with no rumble.
Anyway, I don't particularly care for platinum or white.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »
I bought this a week ago from the online Nintendo store. My other GC controllers are worn out big time.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:00:03 PM »
Because the Wavebird is a lame controller with no rumble.
I said updated.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »
Oh snap.

Also, SJ should get this new controller if his controllers are all worn out, like mine are.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 11:47:14 PM »
I have five GameCube controllers. Three are WaveBirds and one of them is "starting to go senile" (unfortunately, it's the platinum one, but I can just swap casing when it's completely over with). I use the purple controller with an extension cord at home, and usually have the platinum WaveBird on my person at school. This white one here, though... there's something about new controllers, isn't there?

But it's pretty obvious I don't need one unless I turn into Chupperson or Lizard Dude overnight and must throw out all my WaveBirds. But uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that won't happen.

-Bird Person
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 12:27:51 AM »
A WaveBird killed my sister and ate my homework.

-LD

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 07:21:46 AM »
That's nothing, LD. A third-party wireless controller did all of that, ate my cats, and deleted my files.

Jesse, I'd say it probably depends on how many controllers you already have.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
That is one sexy looking GC controller.

Those things only available online? Just wondering in case I can get one at Target or GameCrazy.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 09:37:17 PM »
Go for it.
Ditto used Machop!

Super-Jesse

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
That is one sexy looking GC controller.

Those things only available online? Just wondering in case I can get one at Target or GameCrazy.

Well they aren't being sold in America right now, directly.

Hmm, I might hold off until next paycheck, especially since I'm driving to Dallas for the Mario Kart Wii tour, and going to a concert next Sunday. I have to buy MKWii and GTA 4 as well....Oh yeah, baby and bills, too whatever. :-P

I want that controller so badly, as the extended extension cord would be just perfect (the current one just barely doesn't reach my couch, making me crouch over instead or sit on the floor).
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 12:37:45 AM »
It would have been neat if it were completely Wii-styled, with a clear A button, all other buttons white, white sticks (the control stick, of course, having only one ring), a D-pad with blue lines instead of arrows, and a Wii logo where the GameCube one would be. Of course, you'd look silly using one of those to play a GameCube, but what are we all using our GameCube controllers to do these days? Brawl.

Know your priorities and do what's most important, Jesse. If you decide you shouldn't get it now, scoot the couch closer to the TV.
It's YOUR problem!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 05:26:51 AM »
what are we all using our GameCube controllers to do these days? Brawl.
lol wut

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 06:19:39 AM »
So is this a semiconfirmation that Nintendo actually lost the Wavebird mold?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 08:14:13 AM »
They were probably just too lazy to add rumble to it.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 02:46:05 PM »
Regarding Wavebirds and rumble, I was talking to a guy who worked at a game store the other day who was pretty convinced that someone traded in a Wavebird that "used to rumble, but it broke". I dunno whether he had a similarly-colored controller that was not, in fact, a Wavebird, or all of you are heavily misinformed. I doubt it's the latter.

Especially since another comment he made was about why the guy didn't just sell it on eBay where "he could get, like, 70 bucks".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:48:53 PM by bobman37 »

Super-Jesse

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »
I agree with BP, I wish they had made the button's Wii style as well. Keep the color background, but the see-through deal.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 05:47:41 PM »
Nintendo says WaveBirds don't have rumble because it'd waste batteries. Notice that the Wii Remote's rumble is pretty wimpy.
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »
I'd get a white WaveBird with rumble, but not a white GC controller just for the longer cord.  I'd rather not be tethered. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 07:44:35 PM »
I'd get a 3 AA Wavebird with rumble, or a GC controller with Wii-style buttons and the normal length controller cord.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »
Nintendo says WaveBirds don't have rumble because it'd waste batteries. Notice that the Wii Remote's rumble is pretty wimpy.
That was a while ago though.
Xbox 360 controllers have rumble.
PS3 controllers (now) have rumble.
Third-party controllers have rumble.

I'd get a 3 AA Wavebird with rumble, or a GC controller with Wii-style buttons and the normal length controller cord.
3 AA wouldn't help because that's not how energy works.  What you'd need is 2 C or lithium ion or something along those lines.  An increase in charge density (or volume) is important, not an increase in voltage.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:53:00 PM by MEGAߥTE »

Super-Jesse

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 09:21:26 PM »
Okay, not to go off topic too much, but does anyone here believe what some "pro" smash players say about Wavebirds? That they suffer from a delay in character control? Just curious.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 09:40:13 PM »
Either mine causes enough lag to make me consistently lose Brawls or I simply suck at Brawl.  I'll claim the former, but the later is more likely true. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »
Electricity was always my worst subject.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 09:59:32 PM »
I don't know how the signal could possibly be that slow. I mean, RF travels at the speed of light, right?
That was a joke.

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 11:20:48 PM »
I broke my wavebird. Don't ask.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »
Don't tell.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 06:55:07 AM »
I won't get one unless the rings on the analogue of my best first party control (the one that came with my GCN) wear completely off.  I have six GCN controllers.  One of which is a Wavebird.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »
Okay, not to go off topic too much, but does anyone here believe what some "pro" smash players say about Wavebirds? That they suffer from a delay in character control? Just curious.
I believe it. It'd only have to be 1/60 of a second slower (one frame) to be noticable to pr0 fighters.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »
I never use my Wavebird, mainly due to batteries. It's not that convenient to have a wireless controller, unless you have a TV the size of a house and you don't wish to sit close to it. I only have one because it and a memory card were free with my GameCube when I got it five years back.
Ditto used Machop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »
It sounds cool, but I don't really want to spend money on it... but I'll probably end up doing just that anyway...

*MUST... SAVE... MONEY... FOR... MKWii!*
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print