Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 13: HUB  (Read 7573 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 06:08:42 PM »
Best: SM64's Castle. I liked the music, and despite the lack of life (other than the Toads attempting to speak from inside the walls), its variety is really fun. There's the nostalgic entrance hall, the fascinating aquarium, the lovely garden (were it not for the Boo infestation), the mysterious basement... It's a lot of fun to explore.

Worst: Flipside/Flopside. I will not give them a break for being mostly 2D: they're still a pain to navigate, and the elevators were a cheap, repetitive way to get around. I didn't really like the Observatory for being small, but it's a pleasant, lively place.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »
Best: Hmm.. Mario 64 had.. trees, and water, Luigi's Mansion was nice, full of things to scan/interact with, Delfino had Piantas (or Pinatas, heh) to annoy/stuff to interact with, Galaxy had the Observatory, which looked nice and had few things to interact with, but the music was nice. Both PM games were had good ones, as did all of the Mario Parties..

Worst: Partners in Time, because the castle is huge, the time holes are spread out, and there is only one shop in the castle (present). That and the fact that it screwed with the already messed up continuuity of the series.. or lack thereof. (but that's a rant for another time..) Also, I want to vote for Flipside in SPM. It's confusing to navigate at times.

Nominees: best Bowser castle music. Fortresses are only halfway points.. Ok, so that's only a technicality, but still..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »
Super Mario 64's castle for the best.

I don't really have a least favorite, though.
Ditto used Machop!

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »
My votes may not make much of an impact, given that almost everybody voted against these, but I'm going to go out and say my favorite hubs are Flipside and the Comet Observatory. Flipside was a unique home area for a unique game; the surreal background and building and layout style created an atmosphere I find pleasing and creative. The Comet Observatory was compact, but it had tons of features; the six Domes, the Red Star, the Library, etc. and the overall theme was very good.

I don't really dislike any hub...maybe the PiT Peach's Castle. That was quite mediocre.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »
my vote for best goes to Super Mario Sunshine. Delfino Plaza is lively with lots of people to talk to and extra shine sprites to find and great scenery and great music. I think it is definitely the best hub in any game. Though Rogueport and Toad Town, from the Paper Mario games, are worth mentioning.

For worst I'd say Flipside/Flopside from Super Paper Mario. It didn't have much to do and it took a long time to go places
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »
Best: SM64.

Worst: SMG (for lack of a worse choice; Mario games generally have good hubs).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 04:55:06 PM »
BEST: At the time I would say Mario 64, because that castle really felt mysterious and magical. Since Hub levels have become so common the Castle seems almost bland, now that a decade has passed. So I'll say Sunshine, because Isle Delfino is still has that inviting bustling atmosphere.

WORST: Paper Mario's Toad Town. It seemed dull to me.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 01:35:03 PM »
From now on, you'll have an EXTRA day to vote. This also makes the schedule less weird/annoying.

And so the results...

BEST:

Super Mario Sunshine (8.50)
Super Mario 64 (4)
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (1.50)
Paper Mario (.50)
Super Mario Galaxy (2)
Super Paper Mario (.50)

WORST:

Mario is Missing (1)
Super Mario Galaxy (5)
Super Paper Mario (5)
Super Mario 64 (1)
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (3)
Paper Mario (1)

And we're tied! Once again, a tiebreaker is neccesarry...

NOMINATIONS:

Nominations:
Best bowser/fortress/castle music (6)
Best Mario Sports game (1)
Best Level (1)  {I'll probably get to this one sooner or later, though...}
(Nominations require 10 votes to become a reality)

This Week's Fun Fact: The only other time a Tiebreaker was required was all the way back in Week 2: Best Final Boss Battle. It was PM2 VS. Super Mario RPG...

Print