Print

Author Topic: American Mario cartoons in Japan?  (Read 5678 times)

« on: May 23, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
The American Mario cartoon series from the late 1980s/early 1990s had been translated into various languages. But I would like to know if any of the shows had been ever localised for the country where the Nintendo headquarters are, Japan? And if they weren't, are the Japanese fans as curious about the American shows as fans from the western world are curious about the Japan-only Mario animes? Or are they even more interested in it?

I'm simply interested what the Japanese fans think about the American Mario cartoon shows and how much known they are there, does anybody know something?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:54:20 AM »
You know as much as I do.  If Japan localizations of those cartoons exist, I'd like to find them and make a YouTube Poop out of them.

Though, nowadays, I've become more talk than action with YTP.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »
Well, they had their own show/animated movie over there, didn't they? Or not--I'm not too inclined to look into the subject (though I'd just like to say that I might like to get those boxed sets of the SMB Super Show someday, if only for cheesy nostalgia)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »
though I'd just like to say that I might like to get those boxed sets of the SMB Super Show someday, if only for cheesy nostalgia

Go for it. I have all of them including AoSMB3 and SMW.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:24:11 PM »
you made me want to watch those shows, i want to watch those shows, I want to watch them! good thing I have the dvd sets for the super mario brothers show, and I know that this is completely unrelated to this but, how do you make topics? I have so many ideas!
can I take a bite of your snout?

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »
You have to post here for awhile, and then the post new topic button should be available, but don't go overboard with posting too many new topics.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 11:00:54 PM »
Once on Youtube I saw a clip from a dub of the Mario 3 Cartoon from Brazil. I don't think I can find the link offhand though.

EDIT: Whoa! I can. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=H-0W8YiCRwY&NR=1
It might just be a Spanish Dub. You get to see all of the main character's voices, though. Also note how they didn't try to redo the song in English.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:19:37 PM by Chocobo »
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 07:13:07 AM »
Well, they had their own show/animated movie over there, didn't they?
Well, they had an anime movie based on Super Mario Bros. and a threepart OVA anime series mixing Super Mario Bros. 3 with fairy tales.
http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/anime.shtml

But not a whole TV series. Hum, still don't know anything about the degree of popularity of the American cartoons in Japan...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:18:12 AM by Grandy02 »

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 07:39:04 AM »
(puts in dvd set 1 disk 3 of the super mario brothers super show...)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 07:56:09 AM »
I might buy the Super Show DVDs if they had the live-action segments.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 08:05:05 AM »
(puts in dvd set 1 disk 4...)

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 08:07:10 AM »
crosseyed7, they do! they do have the live action segments!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 08:59:28 AM »
Well, they had an anime movie based on Super Mario Bros. and a threepart OVA anime series mixing Super Mario Bros. 3 with fairy tales.
http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/anime.shtml
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Many a signature on my old forum came from screenshots of that series...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 11:41:16 AM »
Fryguy from NinDB told me that he knows that the American were not shown in Japan.

So we know at least that, but I still don't know anything about the thoughts of Japanese fans on those cartoons.

Print