Print

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS confirmed  (Read 11169 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:21 AM »
IGN is reporting that following rumors flying all over the place of a Chrono Trigger DS game, it's pretty much confirmed now. Square has put up Chrono Trigger DS as a teaser website at http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/ . Right now its just a clock, though. Wait 'til E3 I guess?
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:01:45 AM »
WOO!
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:41:14 AM »
YES! Now I can finally give my brother an educational and fun birthday present!

"Educational?!" you say? Chrono Trigger is one of the finest RPGs of all time, and an example of great, humorous NPCs and excellent battle gameplay. I can't tell how much time is left on this clock, though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:43:37 AM by Suffix »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:20:13 AM »
A great game that deserves to be brought back into the spotlight, but you figure they'd make it a Virtual Console thing.

...Then again, S-E has been a big DS supporter, and making it more conveniently availible (getting games off the VC/filling up storage space is a pain, after all) would help sales.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:52:39 AM »
Any kind of Chrono recognition is a step in the right direction, towards Chrono Brake.
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:05:20 AM »
That is a distinctive design on the clock, with the C around it. Wonder if it's going to be a port of the original to the DS or a new title in the Chrono Trigger series.
Also, I don't have a DS, but I was wondering how the last few SNES-titles-ported-to-DS turned out. Just wanted to see if anyone rabid's enough to expect the DS title to be perfectly identical to the SNES original, graphics and sound and all, except perhaps for screen size.
You didn't say wot wot.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:18:17 AM »
It's a port.  S-E announced it for North America this morning.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »
I've played Chrono Trigger enough times to the point I would appreciate minor changes, especially to the sound.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 03:40:23 PM »
Didn't one of the Final Fantasy ports get a re-done script that was supposed to be more accurate to the Japanese original? What if Chrono Trigger had its script changed to be more accurate to the Japanese original (and didn't fall under the censorship of words made when localizing it to America)? Would a new script make you more or less likely to buy it? I know that's probably not going to happen, but just asking.

If the DS port were to be significantly upgraded, then two changes I'd like to see (just wishful thinking here) would be to make the music sound cleaner and better (sounds great as is, but if the DS's sound abilities are any better than SNES then I want to hear changes), and to see some representation of the cutscenes from the Playstation port.

By the way, just saw on a few sites that Square-Enix mentioned there's going to be a new dungeon in the DS version, as well as wireless play. What would wireless play mean?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 03:54:41 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 04:02:03 PM »
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls surprised me with the careless censorship, especially in FFII. Josef swears when he dies, general Borghen crushes him with a huge boulder and Hell is called as such rather liberally. Yet, the game is rated E. Don't know.

What would wireless play mean?
You can play it with the DS unplugged!! : [     ]
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 04:11:47 PM »
Hahahahhaa.

Anyway, Final Fantasy III, IV, V, and VI have all had new translations on Nintendo handhelds as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if Chrono Trigger got one too.
As for music, the music in the SNES version is superior to TOSE's PSX port, and I am really going to disagree with Suffix and pound his face into the ground about wanting it changed. Also, DS sound is apparently very hard to use, which causes it either to be impossible to get really good sounding stuff out of it or devs are just lazy (I've played music files on my DS before and they've sounded good) and they end up making it sound terrible anyway, so as long as it's as good as the SNES version I will be happy. I love the sounds they used in the original more than most things on Earth, so if they change them, they better make it darn good.

As for the new dungeon, I'm really hoping they'll just resurrect the planned Singing Mountain dungeon that they partially programmed into the original game but had to abandon due to time constraints. If that's the case, they should finish the job and include Schala as a playable character, as per the original plans as well.
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
Ow! I didn't mean the music, I meant the sound effects! Especially the enemy moves like "Whirlwind" or that quicksand-type thing, where the sound effect seemed like a grating buzz. Speaking of which, I would appreciate more variety in sound effects. All the swords, claws, fists, and scythes sound (as far as I can remember) the same.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:20:57 PM by Suffix »

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 05:08:56 PM »
Assuming I ever get some kind of income, I'm considering getting it. I was first introduced to the greatness that is Chrono Trigger a few months ago and, well, it's great! Also, my DS library is a bit lacking.

I agree about the sound effects. There seemed to be a few that were used all over the place. The music is awesome though. Heck, I happen to be listening to "Corridors of Time" at the moment.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »
It is awesome indeed. I learned to play Wings that Cross Time on the piano at WSU this year.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »
That is a distinctive design on the clock, with the C around it. Wonder if it's going to be a port of the original to the DS or a new title in the Chrono Trigger series.
Also, I don't have a DS, but I was wondering how the last few SNES-titles-ported-to-DS turned out. Just wanted to see if anyone rabid's enough to expect the DS title to be perfectly identical to the SNES original, graphics and sound and all, except perhaps for screen size.
Do you think it could be an all-3D remake of the original?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Print