Print

Author Topic: The Death Penalty is...  (Read 15492 times)

« on: September 21, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »
Since logic indicates that the death penalty is still considered murder I disprove of it completely for the sole reason that America is supposed to be a society meanwhile we do horrible things that disprove that making us still barbarians. Do the people who pull the switch go to hell?

Your opinion on the death penalty is...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:52:53 AM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 12:36:45 PM »
The death penalty is... killing people to show people that killing people is wrong.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »
The death penalty is... justice.  And a lot of people won't like my saying this, but it's been around since Bible times when God established it in Israel.  The death penalty isn't murder.  Murder is the unlawful killing of one human being by another, especially with premeditated malice.
The death penalty is punishment for murder (among other things).

"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »
Bible times

Back then you'd get killed or worse for stealing bread
"it's always the present"

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »
No, for stealing, you would have to pay back who you stole from in full (as opposed to going to prison to be nursed and fed by the government and our tax dollars for the rest of their lives).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 02:11:55 PM »
You'd get killed for stealing bread in most other nations at the time, but not under the law of Moses, which is kind of the point. Israel was meant to be a beacon of God's grace.

I support the death penalty in theory, but since our justice system is so imperfect, I'd prefer a life sentence in most cases. But the death penalty should definitely be on the table for cases where it's extremely clear that the defendant is guilty of something really heinous.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 02:19:35 PM »
If they are given a life sentence...

...a chance the criminal may escape arises.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 04:05:37 PM »
Like, a 6% chance. They don't give them a life sentence in a daycare center, y'know.

I think a life sentence is probably the more punishing of the two. Giving the criminal their entire life to think about what they've done until they die, plus the chance of getting shanked/raped, is certainly justice.
every

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »
Like, a 6% chance. They don't give them a life sentence in a daycare center, y'know.
Six percent?  I think it's more like one-half percent for state prisons and almost zero for federal prisons.  If we only look at death row the percentage drops to about one-tenth. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
Plain and simple, there are certain people in this world who just don't deserve to live. Besides, depending on the length of the sentence, and the severity of the crime in question, life in prison might actually be more cruel than the death penalty. I mean, get a lethal injection or be stuck in a building with burly butt-rapers for sixty years?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »
Well, to really weigh the death penalty against life in prison, you'd have to get into the question of what the afterlife (or lack thereof) entails. Until anything about it can be proved (which will never happen), I think the government ought to assume the worst.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 04:42:04 PM »
I don't think the government should assume anything about the afterlife or lack thereof. 

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
It shouldn't, but it generally does, as that's a great way to control people.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 05:08:21 PM »
Religion is a form of control and is governments and corporation's main stronghold. State sanctioned murder is still murder and is never justifiable.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 05:11:04 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 05:11:46 PM »
The death penalty is not particularly effective as a deterrent. If it were, there would be a lot less violent criminals than there are today.

Besides, what if a convicted criminal is later found not guilty? We can free them from prison and make reparations, but we can't raise the dead.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Print