Print

Author Topic: Digital Distribution  (Read 2513 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:02:11 PM »
...Or "digidist", as I feel it will eventually be shortened to. What do you think about it? Good or bad for the gaming industry? The consumer? Will it replace "physical" games? Do you care if it does?

Personally, I'm torn. On one hand, I suppose it's good to spend less paper, plastic, et cetera to package, distribute, and sell games; on the other hand, one glitch and your games could be gone.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
I <3LURV<3 Steam. I own over 9000 games through the system and use it to play demos all the time.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:24:45 PM »
I'm not a fan of digital distribution because I like to have the thing in my hands, on my shelf, where I can see and touch it and look at all its pretty packaging. I am okay with it for some stuff because I could buy Portal without buying the rest of the Orange Box.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:35:05 PM »
(You can buy Portal without the rest of the Orange Box in stores now...but why would you when it's only $10 more for four other quality games, regardless of the fact that you don't like FPS?)

I like Steam, but with my connection, I sometimes have to make retail purchases if I want to be able to play a game any time soon after buying it. Also games where there isn't a digitally-distributed version and receiving games as presents.

Oh, and packaged bonuses. I love stuff like maps, bonus discs, and figurines.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:59:12 PM »
I'm a bit biased because my connection is so awful that I'd be crying in the time between Dead Rising 2's release and me actually being able to play it, if I had to download it. I see its positive points, though.

I'm sure that one day all video games will have to be downloaded. For now I'm good with it being kept to smaller games. XBLA, WiiWare and VC are just right for today's world.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:14:40 AM »
I think it's the best thing since the weekend if you've got a good connection.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
I used to hate Steam, but, like TEM, have come to LURV it. Personally, I think downloading games is an excellent alternative to actually buying them in a store. As for smaller games, it sort of annoys me that people equate tiny arcade-style games of little consequence with being downloadable, at least on the console side, which leads to things like people refusing to buy Braid or PAA because they're "too expensive". Halo 3 wouldn't be too expensive if it cost $12, would it?! AAGH
every

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 07:27:51 PM »
Every time I'm forced to get a game from a physical store, I RAGE.

Every time I'm forced to change a physical disc to play a different game I RAGE.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print