Yes
4 (26.7%)
No (I'm not interested in it)
3 (20%)
No (I dislike griefing)
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Print

Author Topic: Are you a griefer?  (Read 3752 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: March 02, 2009, 02:26:56 AM »
This is definitely going to catch me some flak, but I'll admit, griefing in online games can be ridiculously fun sometimes. For those not in the know, griefing is intentionally annoying and harassing people in online games, usually by means of teamkilling, spamming, blocking doorways and the like. True story: I was griefing in L4D yesterday, and I managed to aggrivate the guy who made Idiots of Garry's Mod, at least for a while. To me, that's pretty cool.

amount of time spent griefing before kicked x average level of angriness exhibited by others in the game = amount of fun had
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 03:02:47 AM »
I dabble.

This seems like the perfect thread to bring up the Bartle test, which divides gamers into four groups:
- Explorers, or spades. These are players who burrow into a game, attempting to dig up information; these are the kind of players who try to figure out new mechanics in online games, or people like Raccoon Sam who find stuff hidden in a game's code.
- Socializers, or hearts. These are players who enjoy a game for its community aspects; these are the people who give away items in MMOs and use the chat function more than they actually play a game.
- Achievers, or diamonds. These are players who try to be the best at the game; these are the players whose best friend is a leaderboard. Often overlaps with the spade.
- Killers, or clubs. Griefers and PvPers.

I'd link to the test but the official site is down right now or something.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:27:35 AM »
In Jedi Academy, I play as Mario and jump on everyone's head.

Also, does vandalizing Wikipedia count? Because I've done that once or twice.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:34:54 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 04:37:12 PM »
Not as a general rule, but I like to be cheap with the Landmaster and spam taunt in online Brawl matches.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 04:42:17 PM »
Ugh. I don't know if it's a form of griefing or not, but I hate it in Mario Kart Wii when people do not choose a stage and make everyone wait. I also hate those who hack the game to get only Stars and Mega Mushrooms.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 05:08:54 PM »
Griefing is any action (aside from emerging victorious legitimately, which is simply playing the game) done on purpose to detract from the other users' enjoyment. Spamming taunts, forcing players to wait, placing a bunch of turrets by a spawn or teleporter point, getting stuck in the door and making players answer trivia to get through, offensive spray images (Heavy language and content warning), tricking other players into flicking on the PvP switch (if one is present) and slaughtering them - hacking can even be a form of griefing if done merely to make the game unfun for everyone else, as can exploiting glitches.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »
I only grief after losing a loved one.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:28:21 PM »
I say, grief unto others as you would have them grief unto you. Of course, I'm not much of an MMORPG/WOW/online-SSBB/etc-er.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »
Ah, griefing.  Taking poor sportsmanship and turning it into an art.
Go Moon!

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »
I don't do it because it sounds very annoying (I've never experianced it so I can't say for sure), so why would I do it to someone.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 11:22:53 PM »
I only do it amongst friends, and even then it's only really for fun, and not as a serious griefing attempt.

getting stuck in the door and making players answer trivia to get through

That part was awesome. If only I played TF2...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »
Nothing can beat SecondLife griefing -- for those who haven't heard of the game, it's essentially an aimless social interaction-based... thing. Apparently, the option to create objects with any function of one's choosing lets grifers, for instance, spawn an infinite number of giant male reproductive organs which can subsequently be programmed to follow other players around.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print